Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

23 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Also, we had every opportunity to win against THREE (current) top 10 teams. That means something. 

We are closer than we have been in a very long time. 

It does feel a bit different but what will really show it's different is if we beat Minnesota and Purdue easily, and maybe Wisconsin. That will show the team isn't still headcases playing down to lesser opponents.

It wasn't really the blowout losses that mattered before, if they were going to be losses anyway. The worst thing is when we hang with really good teams and lose, and then against the s#!tty teams we also lose. I'd be ok with consistently barely losing to the good teams if we can consistently beat the rest. At that point I can start hoping we'll actually pull off a win like this one.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Thanks but you simply cannot deny that as good as Adrian Martinez has been, he still has one big flaw and that is his ability to seal the deal and win close games. If you were to look at his stats without knowing his W-L record, you would think his team is a top 10 contender. What separates a very good QB from a great one is their ability to perform at crunch time. Adrian Martinez is a very good QB but not a great one. He has had many opportunities to seal the win and he found ways to lose. In the Michigan game, the defense, the offense, and the special teams played well enough for us to win the game. It came down to QB play. In his career, AM has done wonderful things for Nebraska. Some of the plays he did remind me of Eric Crouch, yet the difference is that Eric crouch found ways to win close games and AM has not. He has been given so many opportunities yet he keeps coming up short. Unfortunately, when this is all said and done, his record is all that people will remember. And I do not mean the fans. I respect AM and I agree that he has been a crucial part of the team build up. He is an amazing young man and deserves a lot of credit but you cannot deny that his performance at crunch time has been disappointing. Just think of how many times he had the ball in his hands with a chance to go down the field and win the game and how many times he ended up actually winning the game. I admit that it is not always his fault and the OL did not help in some of those cases but great QBs find a way to win in spite of that. I leave you with one question: arguably, AM is a much better athlete and a more dynamic QB than Iowa’s Spencer Petras, however, of the two QBs who do you think has a better chance of getting drafted by an NFL team and why?

First, I didn't deny that flaw so not sure why you're saying I can't deny it.

Second, how many games did Adrian get us a lead or tied late in the game, but not in the last two minutes, and the defense didn't get a stop? How many games, if the defense got one last stop, would we have won, and how much differently would that change the narrative about Adrian? 

As far as Martinez vs Petras, who the hell cares? Being an NFL quarterback has nothing to do with your ability to be a good or even great college quarterback. Who had a better chance of succeeding in the NFL between Tim Tebow and Ryan Fitzpatrick? How about between JT Barrett and Kirk Cousins? LOL what a misguided question.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

First, I didn't deny that flaw so not sure why you're saying I can't deny it.

Second, how many games did Adrian get us a lead or tied late in the game, but not in the last two minutes, and the defense didn't get a stop? How many games, if the defense got one last stop, would we have won, and how much differently would that change the narrative about Adrian? 

As far as Martinez vs Petras, who the hell cares? Being an NFL quarterback has nothing to do with your ability to be a good or even great college quarterback. Who had a better chance of succeeding in the NFL between Tim Tebow and Ryan Fitzpatrick? How about between JT Barrett and Kirk Cousins? LOL what a misguided question.

I do not understand why you are being so defensive and condescending. You started this by correcting what I wrote. If you do not like my opinion just move on. There is no need to force your opinion on others or correct their posts. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

21 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its just sad you think this way. Have some faith in the best player on our team for a change instead of s#!tting on him every opportunity you get

What has he shown in the last half decade that proves we can trust him in those moments?  Serious question. Like, what's your top 3 Adrian Martinez game-winning drives?  I can name you 3 game-losing blunders from this season alone.

And spare me with the pearl clutching. He's a 22 year old professional athlete for f#&%'s sake.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I know you're not replying to me here but from my perspective I wasn't upset we scored 0 points in the first half. I was upset the creativity we saw against NW was gone and didn't show up until the 3rd quarter. I feel like that was the plan but I feel that plan backfired by tiring out our defense too soon.

It's easy to be creative and open up an offense when you can overmatch the opponent like Northwestern. Against Michigan, if Frost tries to do take risks too early in the game with his play calling it could backfire and those more creative plays don't score points, or even worse they cause turnovers. 

The first half was going ok for the most part with NU only down 6-0 with 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. It should have been only 9-0, but there was the phantom pass interference call on Domann, and a missed delay of game penalty. Frost was going conservative, as Michigan was doing the same. It was a game of chess, and both teams opened it up more in the 2nd half. 

I don't think the D tired out because of being on the field too much, I think the D tired out because Michigan's Offense is pretty big and strong. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1