Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

8 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Most of team, except the defense, cannot execute when the game is 

We had lead with 5 minutes left and our d couldn't stop them. The d couldn't stop Oklahoma when it needed to either. Listen, this D is great, but lets not rewrite reality here. They could have sealed the win for us yesterday as well, and they didn't. All parts of the team played very well yesterday, we should be proud of  them. But as in every game, there were plays that made us almost win and there were plays that made us almost lose and you can't just pick the ones that fit a narrative. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Man you must have a horrible time. I just don't get why people think this way. Oh my team is tied in the 4th qtr. I'm not excited because I'm thinking we are going to screw it up. Have some damn optimism.

Have some damn reality.   Have you not watched the past 4 years?  If you have, what exactly did you see to inspire confidence that we would pull this one out?  Throttling a glorified HS team last week?  

Illinois, OU, MSU, MU.....you see a pattern?  When does it stop?  We don't win close games.  We have beaten three bad teams and have lost the four close games we have been in.  Props to us for keeping good teams close.  That is progress, but at some point you have to win one of these.  

I'm not calling for a new coach or anything crazy like that.   But I am firmly planted in reality.  We are chokers in close games against good teams until we some day figure out how to change that.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I'm not calling for a new coach or anything crazy like that.   But I am firmly planted in reality.  We are chokers in close games against good teams until we some day figure out how to change that.

5 years ago we would "choke" to the tune of 52-10.. Choking isn't new around here, but this choking is markedly less embarrassing. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

We had lead with 5 minutes left and our d couldn't stop them. The d couldn't stop Oklahoma when it needed to either. Listen, this D is great, but lets not rewrite reality here. They could have sealed the win for us yesterday as well, and they didn't. All parts of the team played very well yesterday, we should be proud of  them. But as in every game, there were plays that made us almost win and there were plays that made us almost lose and you can't just pick the ones that fit a narrative. 

Our D held the number one B1G rushing offense to a field goal after Martinez coughed it up. Michigan is a talented and well coached team. Our D did their part. 

21 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

5 years ago we would "choke" to the tune of 52-10.. Choking isn't new around here, but this choking is markedly less embarrassing. 

Those weren't "close" games. And, yes as you insinuate we have made great progress in not getting embarrassed.  The team is much better this year than 5 years ago, for sure, but they still don't know how to close in a tight game.  We've made no progress there.  Hopefully that comes soon.  

Looking ahead at OSU, Wisky and Iowa... I can see them all being close one-score games.  With our ineptitude in those games we could loose all of them.  A record of 5-7 with 7 one-score loses would not be progress.  It's either a W or an L.  Close doesn't count.

42 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I don't know if Nebraska has ever had a single season this tough.....but damn it's fun to watch this team since they can compete with anyone 

I hear ya, but I'd say a BIG reason why we're able to compete with anyone is having a four-year starter at QB who is playing his best football this year.  We can't have him forever.  Maybe this is his last year.  The O-line, the RB's, the tackling on D, the special teams--those aren't going away and those aren't the reason we can compete with anyone.  

The fascinating thing for me is the only game we have lost in my own pre-season mind, was Illinois.  The only game that was a toss-up was the Michigan State game pre-season.

So, I'm elated that we have almost won against some good teams.  Those were not only suppose to be losses, but I expected to get either blown or see really stupid stuff.  Yes, we are making mistakes ... but the kids are playing hard and also for one another.  Down the stretch, I see us winning 3/5 with 4/5 still very realistic ... and I'm even more pumped to see how we finish.

My friends who know my passion for :bigredn: are contacting me after each game and are pulling for my team and expressing very positive statements.  The "mocking" is gone, neither is there any more jabs are our stupidity.  So, its just fascinating to see my friends, who prior were full of first envy/hatred and then a mocking for the past 15 years ... are now pulling for my team and hoping that we get the win.

As expected, it's "the greatest fans on earth" whom can't stomach losing games we all knew we didn't have a chance of winning just 10 weeks earlier.

Go figure.

When you are given two chances at the last 3 minutes of the game to either win or tie the game, the team’s mentality should be focused on winning the game rather than being afraid of what comes next. Martinez played well enough to win but when it came down to winning, he made crucial mistakes. First mistake, he got the first down, take a knee or give yourself up and don’t give the opposition a chance to strip the ball close to your goal line. Second mistake, there were at least two open options that could have got the first down and got us to within field goal range but he decided to do the improbable. These are the mistakes he consistently does when the game is on the line. I do not know if it is mental, but until he and this team decide that they are going down the field to win the game, we will continue to have moral victories instead of REAL WINS. Look at Texas A&M, they went down the field and scored against Alabama and won. Arguably, we are as talented as Texas A&M, so what is the difference? Confidence, belief, or bad coaching?

Again, this team has come a long way and they are at the proverbial turning point, so what is holding us from getting our signature win and changing the culture to a winning culture. After the Illinois game, I was depressed but now I believe this team can compete with any top 10 team and be in a position to win. The only question is “will we win?”

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

After Michigan the narrative from objective analysts will continue to be “Nebraska is dangerous.”  Two years ago it was just embarrassing. We are definitely turning a corner. Last night was tough. Very very tough. But I was in it, rooting for these kids and coach and not flipped to another game by mid 2nd quarter like other years. 

Frost’s team is miles ahead of anything Riley had. I don’t care about record for Riley vs Scott. The former’s teams were as soft as the ice cream they ate after a blowout loss. We’ve been competitive in every game. I believe we will start winning these games soon.  Let’s take care of Minny. We’re not sneaking up on anyone now. We are a legitimate threat. We all want that legitimacy to turn to more wins. I believe it will. 

• Plus1 3