Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

12 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Did it seem as though we had the athletes to win? If there a way to look at recruiting stars by roster? I’m not interested in stars by recruiting year. Just stars on the field. Maybe by depth chart or participation chart. 

Yes, we had the athletes to win. 

If you go to 247, they rank the rosters. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

"That happens to Nebraska all the time"  The announcer referring to teams clapping against us.  That and the "dual possession" non fumble were the two worst calls I can remember.  What a crock

The PI was terrible. The non review on their 50 yd pass that set them up in the red zone. The first they were spotted on their TD drive before half that would have kept the clock running. I tried to look and see the chop block on Jurgens and couldn't tell what they called that for. 

This wasn't quite as bad but was the closest a game has felt like the A&M games in terms of ref interference. 

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I hear and saw where you are coming from.  But don't the greats watch film and game plan to exploit from the jump?  Why we have not put their backs against the wall to defend AM as a runner and as a passer.  He has shown this year to be one of the best as a dual threat.    Usually under Frost we come out good in the 1st and get out schemed in the 2nd.  I can't imagine with UM's rushing attack and defense you'd purposely play vanilla to "lull" them into your game plan.

For years under Bo I'd think we were holding back so as to not show "X" anything for the next game, but then realized we were who we were.  There was no deceit or purposeful holding back.  We just couldn't get it done.  

I get your points too. Here is how I saw the first half. NU had a good drive the first drive, started by the great screen pass (call and execution) which NU probably saw they could try in film study. However, that drive ended when Michigan blew up Martinez's run attempt on 4th down (100% agreed with the decision to go for it), and that probably concerned the coaches. Throw in the fact that Martinez got picked on a deeper pass down the middle, that led the offensive coaches to think about just limiting the damage for the first half. The D was holding Michigan out of the end zone, until a couple bad calls that led to the TD right before half. The good news is that NU did perform well for the most part, when they needed to get more aggressive. Frost/Lubick called a great 2nd half. 

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Did it seem as though we had the athletes to win? If there a way to look at recruiting stars by roster? I’m not interested in stars by recruiting year. Just stars on the field. Maybe by depth chart or participation chart. 

I don't know about who was actually playing.  But 247 tracks who is actually on the roster (adjusting for attrition).

Michigan has three five-stars and 41 four-stars

Nebraska has one five-star (Tyreke Johnson who basically hasn't played) and 22 four stars

Did we have the athletes to win?  Obviously we did.  

Was it because they were out-playing higher-ranked players for Michigan.  Sure looks like it to me.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't know about who was actually playing.  But 247 tracks who is actually on the roster (adjusting for attrition).

Michigan has three five-stars and 41 four-stars

Nebraska has one five-star (Tyreke Johnson who basically hasn't played) and 22 four stars

Did we have the athletes to win?  Obviously we did.  

Was it because they were out-playing higher-ranked players for Michigan.  Sure looks like it to me.

I guess my point is recruiting stars don’t always perfectly correlate to outcomes.  I love that Frost is getting gamers, and not hypesters, into the depth chart.  I think we need to trust him now. 

2 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Man, I just think the defense was a little too leaky for my liking. That was not the game to be trending downward. 

To me, the 2 disappointing drives the D allowed were the 90 yard TD drive which put Michigan up 19-7, and the long TD drive which Michigan had after NU went up 22-19.  NU had chances to get off the field during those possessions, but couldn't do it. Other than that, forcing Michigan to 4 FG's was a pretty good effort. 

• Plus1 2

The offense has to figure out how to score at least two touchdowns in the first half in every game and I think they win more than they lose.

Defensively, we need talent improvement in real specific spots. DE and Middle linebacker. We need a little less stickiness and guys who can dictate the lines with a Damion Daniels type. Nick Heinrich is a good kid and solid. Still, he gives me dedrick young vibes. The kind of guy who is a step late and gets tackles after the first down. 

I learned:

1. There are no moral victories as losing still sucks

2.  We are really pretty good - just not consistent enough

3. Play calling is puzzling- why do you give Yant only 4 carries and Betts only one touch after what they did against NW??

4.  Scott Frost is stubborn - why do you keep running up the gut when it wasn't there all night?

5.  R Johnson is a good well rounded back

6. Big 10 ref crew can be horrible -  joint possession call and the pass interference call on a uncatchable ball against JO JO - both :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

The offense has to figure out how to score at least two touchdowns in the first half in every game and I think they win more than they lose.

Defensively, we need talent improvement in real specific spots. DE and Middle linebacker. We need a little less stickiness and guys who can dictate the lines with a Damion Daniels type. Nick Heinrich is a good kid and solid. Still, he gives me dedrick young vibes. The kind of guy who is a step late and gets tackles after the first down. 

I think they are still pretty high on Hutmacher.

And Ruud has quietly done a great job with the ILB crew.  Heinrich and Reimer are playing well and Honas has already said he's coming back.

The LB crew didn't even understand their fits when Frost arrived.  Remember Minnesota?

We're good.

• Haha 1