Michigan Post Game Presser

57 minutes ago, lo country said:

Our 2 min offense looks like a fire drill.  No real rhyme or reason to it.  No ebb and flow.  Although we need to be quick in it's execution we seem panicked and flustered.  And not just against UM, but most teams and times.  Again to the eye test.  Unsure if data backs this up, but me like most are trying to figure how and why we do so poorly in the 1 score games.....And how to turn it around.  We go even 50% in those games, Frost is rock solid.  It's just one mistake here or there that has kept up from bowling the past 3 years in these 1 score games (yes we could have gone bowling last year, but am referring to the usual 6 wins scenario)

The same can be said of our possessions just prior to the half. We often times look like we have little sense of urgency with the confusion of a little league team in their first game after 2 weeks of practice. We sometimes see the same thing on critical 3rd and 4th down plays- the play coming in very late and seemingly with confusion. 

One of the reasons we are ranked 106th in red zone efficiency and 84th in offensive efficiency. In the CLUTCH we just struggle and the numbers support that contention. Its been pretty consistent. Move the ball all up and down the field- we have GREAT/AMAZING numbers for that- but when it matters - when it really COUNTS we do NOT.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Well the Michigan and Michigan St game say otherwise. 

Michigan game wasn't awful. First play was good, second had immediate pressure, third had immediate pressure and Adrian missed the open throw, fourth was a screen that Benhart failed to get the crucial block on, the final play is weird to assess. Frost was telling them to hurry up and they snapped it in a huge rush, also looked like it might have been the coached play call to throw it up to Toure. If it wasn't and that was Adrian's decision, it was a bad one. 

Can't find the MSU game on youtube to go back and rewatch. 

35 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The same can be said of our possessions just prior to the half. We often times look like we have little sense of urgency with the confusion of a little league team in their first game after 2 weeks of practice. We sometimes see the same thing on critical 3rd and 4th down plays- the play coming in very late and seemingly with confusion. 

One of the reasons we are ranked 106th in red zone efficiency and 84th in offensive efficiency. In the CLUTCH we just struggle and the numbers support that contention. Its been pretty consistent. Move the ball all up and down the field- we have GREAT/AMAZING numbers for that- but when it matters - when it really COUNTS we do NOT.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

And something I read, Betts and Manning were not even on the field that last drive...WTH........Whose idea was that?  Our two most physical receivers watching.....

The above relates directly to our offensive rankings.  We put up tons of yards, but have issues making them count.  

Again, how can we fix this.  We have the culture instilled, Frost's guys, experienced QB, solid D, but we still struggle....Which brings me to this point.  No experienced RB, young OL, really no depth at receiver....All offensive issues...

Why in year 4 is our #1 RB a guy who started out 5th on the depth chart....#2 is a former walk-on(Kudos to both for working their a$$es off)....and the rest are freshman.....How does that happen.  Transfer portal, recruit misses.......Same with receiver.....In defense of Frost, the weak link in this whole program is guys on the offensive staff not pulling their weight.......In year 4 it feels like our offensive starters save AM are in year 1 or 2........So how do we improve the experienced depth when year 4 it is still severely lacking.....I think that the D staff has done a good job working guys in.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

And something I read, Betts and Manning were not even on the field that last drive...WTH........Whose idea was that?  Our two most physical receivers watching.....

The above relates directly to our offensive rankings.  We put up tons of yards, but have issues making them count.  

Again, how can we fix this.  We have the culture instilled, Frost's guys, experienced QB, solid D, but we still struggle....Which brings me to this point.  No experienced RB, young OL, really no depth at receiver....All offensive issues...

Why in year 4 is our #1 RB a guy who started out 5th on the depth chart....#2 is a former walk-on(Kudos to both for working their a$$es off)....and the rest are freshman.....How does that happen.  Transfer portal, recruit misses.......Same with receiver.....In defense of Frost, the weak link in this whole program is guys on the offensive staff not pulling their weight.......In year 4 it feels like our offensive starters save AM are in year 1 or 2........So how do we improve the experienced depth when year 4 it is still severely lacking.....I think that the D staff has done a good job working guys in.

Your post makes the team sound like a total mess.

They're not 

I've watched this team compete with some of the best in the country the past few weeks.

We could still useote talent and depth at some spots, but we're a pretty damn good team right now......even with those deficiencies.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Your post makes the team sound like a total mess.

They're not 

I've watched this team compete with some of the best in the country the past few weeks.

We could still useote talent and depth at some spots, but we're a pretty damn good team right now......even with those deficiencies.

So what's the answer.  That's what I keep asking.  Red zone O we are horrific at best (well up to  84th now).  Out of 869 coaches Frost is 844th in coaches losing one score games (10 game minimum).  And the 5-16 record (0-4) this season has occurred with Riley's guys, Frost's guys, new culture, old culture everything....The little things are killing us. We are just being killed by "less".  Are we improving?  Absolutely. But to date, it's only in the way we lose.....I'm optimistic that we "should" beat Purdue and Minnie based on prior performance against what is now 3 top 10 teams.....We continue to play like this, I would think we should get to 6 wins.  Unfortunately, we have 2 more top 10 teams.  and Iowa possibly #2....

TBH, I am leaning that it is less on Frost and more on his offensive staff.

You and I go back and forth....No worries.  But other than time what are things Frost and Co can do.  This week to get ready for the rest of the schedule.  And again to my thoughts on being less on Frost, he has worked with ST and OL and both are improved....

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

So what's the answer.  That's what I keep asking.  Red zone O we are horrific at best (well up to  84th now).  Out of 869 coaches Frost is 844th in coaches losing one score games (10 game minimum).  And the 5-16 record (0-4) this season has occurred with Riley's guys, Frost's guys, new culture, old culture everything....The little things are killing us. We are just being killed by "less".  Are we improving?  Absolutely. But to date, it's only in the way we lose.....I'm optimistic that we "should" beat Purdue and Minnie based on prior performance against what is now 3 top 10 teams.....We continue to play like this, I would think we should get to 6 wins.  Unfortunately, we have 2 more top 10 teams.  and Iowa possibly #2....

TBH, I am leaning that it is less on Frost and more on his offensive staff.

You and I go back and forth....No worries.  But other than time what are things Frost and Co can do.  This week to get ready for the rest of the schedule.  And again to my thoughts on being less on Frost, he has worked with ST and OL and both are improved....

Red zone offense is likely to improve as our offensive line does.

I believe it's something Osborne told Frost, but he has said "get old and stay old".

I don't think it can overstated that in year 4 we are competing with top 10 teams.

Once can be a fluke.  Three times is not.

We still have issues, but it's still pretty cool that the national stage isn't too big for us.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 minutes ago, lo country said:

And again to my thoughts on being less on Frost, he has worked with ST and OL and both are improved....

Interestingly enough- 3.5 years of epically bad special teams- people all over it, pitchforks in the air and the last 2 games- not any real issues. So looks like maybe what was wrong maybe was fixable and has just been more or less fixed in the last 2 games. Minus FG kicking- which is still a crap shoot. 

Was that lip service we got for the past 3.5 years that special teams was important? And magically was cured overnight? A geometric progression that all of a sudden just broke through? Or maybe they really did start to invest significant time, effort, energy into making our special teams Not so darn awful. Glad for the turnaround- disappointed it wasn't addressed earlier. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Interestingly enough- 3.5 years of epically bad special teams- people all over it, pitchforks in the air and the last 2 games- not any real issues. So looks like maybe what was wrong maybe was fixable and has just been more or less fixed in the last 2 games. Minus FG kicking- which is still a crap shoot. 

Was that lip service we got for the past 3.5 years that special teams was important? And magically was cured overnight? A geometric progression that all of a sudden just broke through? Or maybe they really did start to invest significant time, effort, energy into making our special teams Not so darn awful. Glad for the turnaround- disappointed it wasn't addressed earlier. 

Maybe he realized his job was in jeopardy.  Decided to take a real hard look at areas we were lacking.  I think it was Allen who was quoted by McGrath that Frost was a lot more focused and demanding on the guys.....

I still need to remind myself he came here with 2 years as HC in the AAC....Throw in a relatively inexperienced staff I look at Ruud as ILB coach, where the successful teams in the B1G have rock star LB's....as an example of the learning curve they have faced. The covid year, missing 4 games equates to the players missing approx 12-15 practices per  bowls.....Dude is learning on the fly in the deep end of the pool.  I'm still concerned.  Still hope he succeeds, but the margin of error gets smaller with each loss.  Because he knows as well as we do, he was not brought here to lose in a respectable fashion, but win....

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, lo country said:

Are we improving?  Absolutely. But to date, it's only in the way we lose.....I'm optimistic that we "should" beat Purdue and Minnie based on prior performance against what is now 3 top 10 teams.....We continue to play like this, I would think we should get to 6 wins.  Unfortunately, we have 2 more top 10 teams.  and Iowa possibly #2....

The way I see it, if Frost shows that we can take care of the teams we're supposed to (as of right now I'm willing to chalk Illinois up as an anomaly) in Purdue and Minnesota, and especially if we steal one more and go bowling, there's plenty of room for optimism.

Beating the teams you're supposed to is the first step toward sustained improvement and lifting the floor of the program. We haven't done that in the first few years, but if we do this year, then the next step is competing with the top programs, which we already are. Then the only thing left is to start coming out on the winning side of some of those. 

Going 0-5 in one score games against all top 10 teams is a way different place than going 0-5 in one score games against Colorado, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, etc. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The way I see it, if Frost shows that we can take care of the teams we're supposed to (as of right now I'm willing to chalk Illinois up as an anomaly) in Purdue and Minnesota, and especially if we steal one more and go bowling, there's plenty of room for optimism.

Beating the teams you're supposed to is the first step toward sustained improvement and lifting the floor of the program. We haven't done that in the first few years, but if we do this year, then the next step is competing with the top programs, which we already are. Then the only thing left is to start coming out on the winning side of some of those. 

Going 0-5 in one score games against all top 10 teams is a way different place than going 0-5 in one score games against Colorado, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, etc. 

I feel confident if we play how we have, we should beat Minnie and Purdue to get to 5 wins.  After not going bowling the past 4 years, I would be ecstatic if we went 1-3 against Wisky, Iowa and OSU.....It would be unbelievable to meet Iowa with them #2 and undefeated and knock them off.....There D is 100% legit.  I think they will be the toughest game for us all year.

And it is true that we are now (save Illinois) beating who we should and truly hanging with teams we "shouldn't".  Like Nelson, I am sick of being "this close".  We just need one guy to take charge and take over a game for us to get us over that hump.  I really thought UM would be that game.....

One area we are sorely lacking is quality depth on the offensive side of the ball.  OL, not a lot of depth or experience.  When Cam graduates, not one center with an in game snap as an example. Against the B1G....That's are hard spot to learn on the fly day 1 week 1.  RB, WR the same....Little to no experienced or quality developed depth...That has to change.  I don't think anyone would thing that in year 4 our team would be so young and have so many Rfr and Fresh contributing.....

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, lo country said:

Maybe he realized his job was in jeopardy.  Decided to take a real hard look at areas we were lacking.  I think it was Allen who was quoted by McGrath that Frost was a lot more focused and demanding on the guys.....

Yes, it seems his "no fear of failure" thing has been tweaked a bit to include some accountability. You can hear it in the way he talks and the changes he's made in starters. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I feel confident if we play how we have, we should beat Minnie and Purdue to get to 5 wins.  After not going bowling the past 4 years, I would be ecstatic if we went 1-3 against Wisky, Iowa and OSU.....It would be unbelievable to meet Iowa with them #2 and undefeated and knock them off.....There D is 100% legit.  I think they will be the toughest game for us all year.

And it is true that we are now (save Illinois) beating who we should and truly hanging with teams we "shouldn't".  Like Nelson, I am sick of being "this close".  We just need one guy to take charge and take over a game for us to get us over that hump.  I really thought UM would be that game.....

One area we are sorely lacking is quality depth on the offensive side of the ball.  OL, not a lot of depth or experience.  When Cam graduates, not one center with an in game snap as an example. Against the B1G....That's are hard spot to learn on the fly day 1 week 1.  RB, WR the same....Little to no experienced or quality developed depth...That has to change.  I don't think anyone would thing that in year 4 our team would be so young and have so many Rfr and Fresh contributing.....

Cam is a sophomore.  We'll be fine.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Michigan game wasn't awful. First play was good, second had immediate pressure, third had immediate pressure and Adrian missed the open throw, fourth was a screen that Benhart failed to get the crucial block on, the final play is weird to assess. Frost was telling them to hurry up and they snapped it in a huge rush, also looked like it might have been the coached play call to throw it up to Toure. If it wasn't and that was Adrian's decision, it was a bad one. 

Can't find the MSU game on youtube to go back and rewatch. 

First play was great call and great throw by AM.  The subsequent second down play, AM had plenty of time to step in and make an accurate throw for a gain that puts NU in field position. He didn’t and NU wasn’t.  The third down play was another very good call and was open.  Either Benhart was late getting out or AM was too early in releasing the ball (it happens on a screen play as timing is everything).  Not sure who is more to blame on that one.  But regardless the call was good and the RB would have had lots of room to run.  

Fourth down and Ten call was fine.  They brought all out pressure and that’s what you do against that type of pressure.  Unfortunately the throw was awful and didn’t even give Toure a chance at touching the ball.  I can’t remember who was on the field receiver wise, but I would have preferred going to Manning or Betts if they were on the field in that type of one on one situation.  

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Northwestern - Our offense did nothing all second half.

Iowa - Offense couldn't do anything for the last 25 minutes, Adrian gets sacked and fumbled with 1:18 to play down by 6.

Minnesota - Minn goes up 10 at the end of the 3rd after an Adrian fumble, we come back and get a field goal to get within 7, but Michigan runs out the last 5 minutes.

Rutgers - 90 yard and 96 yard drives in the 3rd to tie, then a 92 yard drive at 9:55 left in the 4th to take the lead. Defense gets an interception, offense bleeds out the last 7:26 of game clock

The problem with this one is when the Wolverines showed up qt the end.  Fresh, determined to kill clock.  Smacking Gophers all day is one thing, personnel changes would kill anyone...

:)

Good recaps overall.

• Plus1 1