We are improving, but......

There’s is no doubt that we are improving.  Obviously not in the W-L category, but to the eyeball test.  I look at our team and think we have a lot of the right pieces, maybe all of them, but the recipe isn’t working or is missing something.  What is it.  The one piece(s) that could fix it.

On defense, I’d go with an edge rusher.  A guy who would demand a double team that could make things happen without sending extra guys.  We rush 3-4 and can still cause havoc.  A guy who makes teams keep a RB in on passing downs.....

On offense, as a run the ball guy, a bell cow RB who can get YAC and who has a knack for always falling forward and getting yards..Rex, AA, in recent memory excelled at that.

An offensive identity.  12 personnel as our base.  Counters and traps, option (triple and RPO).  Stick with it.  Get very good at it.  The second half play calling was night and day better.  Just be a very physical team.....

We are just so friggin close.  So instead of a what’s wrong thread, a “what can we do to fix it thread”.  Maybe it’s  the same thing.....I’m at a loss.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Why was our playcalling so milquetoast in the first half? That's not what I remember from before Frost got to Nebraska. It kinda feels like that was the plan, to hide things then open it up in the 3rd quarter, but it made the defense tire out before the game was over.

For me to believe we're getting better, we need our next game to be consistent with these last two. What I mean by that is we have to stop playing up or down to the competition. If we play as well against Minnesota as we did against Northwestern and Michigan, and it's a trend and we are actually better now, we should beat Minnesota by 14-21 points. If we do the same old s#!t, we probably lose to them by 3 points in the last minute.

At the very least I want us to start beating the mediocre teams regularly before I'm gonna start believing.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

There’s is no doubt that we are improving.  Obviously not in the W-L category, but to the eyeball test.  I look at our team and think we have a lot of the right pieces, maybe all of them, but the recipe isn’t working or is missing something.  What is it.  The one piece(s) that could fix it.

On defense, I’d go with an edge rusher.  A guy who would demand a double team that could make things happen without sending extra guys.  We rush 3-4 and can still cause havoc.  A guy who makes teams keep a RB in on passing downs.....

On offense, as a run the ball guy, a bell cow RB who can get YAC and who has a knack for always falling forward and getting yards..Rex, AA, in recent memory excelled at that.

An offensive identity.  12 personnel as our base.  Counters and traps, option (triple and RPO).  Stick with it.  Get very good at it.  The second half play calling was night and day better.  Just be a very physical team.....

We are just so friggin close.  So instead of a what’s wrong thread, a “what can we do to fix it thread”.  Maybe it’s  the same thing.....I’m at a loss.  

I would really like to see some trap run with this team. I think it could be a killer play with Yant in there and it slows down aversive defenses. Also opens up the midline option as well.

I agree, think our spread triple run options should be our identity. You can run that with Big Ten style lineman too. But on top of triple run option, allow for potential of a TE or WR streaking across field to do a pass if the defense stops the running options.

Bottom line, if we are going to have a dual threat QB, let’s use his dual threat abilities. Instead of trying to make Martinez a passer, embrace his running abilities because that’s his best skill set. He’s a runner who can sometimes throw. If we want a QB who can run, then recruit such an athlete, but 4 years ago we recruited a runner who can sometimes throw. Embrace it because it’s what we have right now. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why was our playcalling so milquetoast in the first half? That's not what I remember from before Frost got to Nebraska. It kinda feels like that was the plan, to hide things then open it up in the 3rd quarter, but it made the defense tire out before the game was over.

Yup if we have like 3 or 4 solid drives in the first half you minimize the amount of plays the defense was on the field. 

Just now, BoNeyard said:

I agree, think our spread triple run options should be our identity. You can run that with Big Ten style lineman too. But on top of triple run option, allow for potential of a TE or WR streaking across field to do a pass if the defense stops the running options.

Bottom line, if we are going to have a dual threat QB, let’s use his dual threat abilities. Instead of trying to make Martinez a passer, embrace his running abilities because that’s his best skill set. He’s a runner who can sometimes throw. If we want a QB who can run, then recruit such an athlete, but 4 years ago we recruited a runner who can sometimes throw. Embrace it because it’s what we have right now. 

I think there's too much in his head now. He's good but he seems to run as a last resort. I feel he could be so much more explosive if he more readily looked to run. I think it is probably too late to try to change that with him when I assume they've been doing the opposite all along.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

While an upgrade in talent would certainly help, I don't believe any of this year's losses are based from physical failure. 

We are slightly smaller, not quite there yet, like just a step below on the ladder, but these guys take punches and they’ll throw them right back. It’s getting very close, and ultimately there looks to be heart out there on the field. The defense actually steps up and refuses to just get ran over time and time again like Minnesota and Michigan a couple years ago.

• Haha 1

You got it right on.

Edge rusher has been badly needed since like Randy Gregory. We just don’t get the pressure needed off the edge while AM seems like he is always under duress.

Agree with you on offense. A downhill nasty thumping runner that gets the extra yards like Rex and AA could. That type of back fires up the OL. 

I’d also like to see us use TE’s more. Seem under utilized. 

What is our offense right now? We need pieces. I was thinking what if we had Wandale still and McCaffery? Would we see AM pitching option to McCaffrey? Betts needs the ball more IMO as well. Frost needs to find an offensive identity. Thumping the run would open up shots like we saw on the TD to Allen tonight. I like Johnson but is he just a poor man’s Wandale?  

Also look in the portal for weapons. Make our team more physical.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

We are slightly smaller, not quite there yet, like just a step below on the ladder, but these guys take punches and they’ll throw them right back. It’s getting very close, and ultimately there looks to be heart out there on the field. The defense actually steps up and refuses to just get ran over time and time again like Minnesota and Michigan a couple years ago.

My point was more that they're losing these games mentally. While they might be slightly less physical than preferred, I don't believe thats costing them wins. Maybe Id buy that against OU, but none of the other competition they've faced this season.

• Plus1 1

There is no doubt whatsoever that the team is progressing and is very close to getting that ever elusive signature win. I really believed that win would come today based on the games against Oklahoma and Michigan state but that did not happen. It seems like It takes Frost 40 minutes into the game before he realizes what plays work. Everyone knew that Michigan cannot handle a mobile QB yet we did not see Martinez be Martinez until late in the third quarter. Had Martinez run the option in first half, the game would be in our favor. Also, I believe that Frost does not have a good 2 min drill. We have had the ball in our hands in the final drive with a chance to win or tie a game and we came short every time. May be the team need to focus on perfecting their 2 min drill. Overall, it was an excellent showing in prime time. I truly believe we are much better than our record shows. The only disappointing loss was that against Illinois. I was also hoping that Frost’s signature win would come tonight but I guess we will wait for the Ohio state game (hopefully).

• Plus1 1

When we lose big, and when we have bad coaches, all we hear from the fans is, "I don't expect the 90's, but I expect to not get embarrassed. We don't have to win every game, but I"ll be satisfied if we can at least play tough, limit mistakes, and look like we belong."

Then we play tough, we limit mistakes, we look like we belong, we're competitive, and all the fans do is b!^@h and have the most hilariously stupid overreactionary hot takes. 

We played a hell of a football game tonight and it didn't go our way. Absolute gut punch, but at least personally the final score isn't the final say in how I feel about this team. It's Nebraska, after all. "Not the victory, but the action" is allegedly supposed to mean something. Means something to me. Hopefully we can brake this snakebit curse, but as long as those boys keep playing with this amount of intensity, desire and focus, I can handle whatever the W-L column says.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1