We are improving, but......

43 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Six wins is still doable. Get Purdue. Get Minnesota next week. And I actually think we're a darn good chance at Wisconsin, which I wouldn't have thought a month ago.

I also think there's still an upset coming.... the odds have to change for us eventually.

Agreed! We get OSU and Iowa at home and I don't think this team is bothered by rankings at this point.....they can play with anybody! We'll beat one of those two and win against Minny, Wisky and Purdue. Or how about we just win the rest of them and finish 8-4?! 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

We are improving but we beat ourselves again.  I don’t want to imply that Michigan is not good- they are.  But we should have won.

there were a few penalties, a turnover at the worst possible moment.

We need to improve a lot of things it I believe we lost because our tackling is very bad.  How many yards after contact were given up and how many tackles were missed?  I could not count the number of times the Blackshirts failed hit in the waist or thighs and did not wrap up the runner’s legs.  I would bet that over half of Haskins yards came after initial contact.

Its fundamentals!!!

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

When we lose big, and when we have bad coaches, all we hear from the fans is, "I don't expect the 90's, but I expect to not get embarrassed. We don't have to win every game, but I"ll be satisfied if we can at least play tough, limit mistakes, and look like we belong."

We played a hell of a football game tonight and it didn't go our way. Absolute gut punch, but at least personally the final score isn't the final say in how I feel about this team. It's Nebraska, after all. "Not the victory, but the action" is allegedly supposed to mean something. Means something to me. Hopefully we can brake this snakebit curse, but as long as those boys keep playing with this amount of intensity, desire and focus, I can handle whatever the W-L column says.

This! I may be in a not so great mood after Nebraska games these days, but at least we are in them until the end. And against some of the highest ranked teams in the country at that! I’m not sitting there watching a team give up because they’re being blown out. I see a team that is ready to turn the corner, and I can hold on. 

I am enjoying watching the Huskers a lot more this year than any time in the last ten years. Knowing we will be in a game in the 4th quarter is much more enjoyable than having to shut the tv off or change the channel because the score is 42 to 10. Our O line is making slight progress but will still have problems matching up with the OSU, Penn St and Iowas on the schedule. Even the best QBs and RBs won't have success when there are 2 or more defenders in the backfield within two seconds. I have high hopes Lutovsky can be that type of mean, nasty but smart O lineman. We just need four more going forward. 

We seem to have an abundance of tight ends on the team. Austin Allen is usually the only one to get a ball thrown his way. Why not use the play Michigan ran with success three times where the tight end shows block for 2 counts then releases to a vacant spot over the middle. That's assuming our O line can keep defenders off the QB for 3 to 4 seconds. 

In four years Frosts team has evolved from a team that had few weapons and couldn't compete in the Big Ten into a team that can go toe to toe with most teams on the schedule. 

• Plus1 1

I'm not sure I'd even complain much about edge rushing at this point - Nelson's not a game-breaker, but he's matured into a perfectly serviceable option. If Dawson can do that with a Nelson, I'd love to see what he can do with a serious pass rushing recruit.

I feel like we still don't have a real stud at RB. The caveat is that I'm not sure how much is them and how much is the O-line. Speaking of which, while the line has looked much better the last two weeks, I feel like they really just got back to where they were last season. I feel like by the end of last year, they'd reached about a B1G average level - not great, but decent. Why did they regress so badly this year? Was losing Farniok and Jaimes THAT devastating? Are we gonna go through this every time someone graduates?

8 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

I actually think we're a darn good chance at Wisconsin, which I wouldn't have thought a month ago.

Funny thing is, if you step back and squint a little, Wisconsin almost kinda looks like us this season. Yeah, they have three losses, but they've all been to ranked teams. We've had losses to three ranked teams... and a stinker at Illinois. Our losses vs ranked teams were closer than Wisconsin's, though.

It was a GREAT game.  Just a terrible finish. 

Srsly, if you had no dog in the fight and was watching this on a Saturday night, it was incredible.  Back n forth battle, punch for punch, big plays, momentum swings, high level play and a great setting in Lincoln.

As a Husker homie, the ending was a killer.  Errbody knows it too.  You feel bad for the players, the team, the coaches the fans.

I want to credit Michigan, but it's kind of hard to.  Huskers played great, so did Michigan.....very entertaining... but a s#!tty finish.

And as Harbaugh said "They wanted to storm the field, tear down the goal posts, not today"

• Plus1 2

This team needs a lot of difference makers to have a winning record. A competent special teams coordinator, edge rushers, a dominant OL and bell cow type running back. A QB who is a manager and doesn’t turn the ball over whilst also the ability to scramble/run option.

This means Frost needs to continue building but, I can’t speak for most Nebraska fans however, I myself have seen enough things so far through HCSF tenure that calls for a change. That’s the tough pill most don’t want to swallow. You absolutely cannot continue to snow ball like this. 

This is why P5 conferences need to stop hiring away unproven head coaches from lower tier conferences. It’s too much of a gamble. A proven leader is needed. Times have changed. We have to stop looking at the past because time continues to pass us.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Respectfully disagree, FTW. Not yet time to pull the plug on Scott. Things are definitely improving.

A concern, though: The process of now "being so close," as many have mentioned after yesterday, might not necessarily continue forward. There's no guarantee. Lots of teams get close, but then stagnate or regress. What will happen over the rest of this season? That will tell us a lot about this program's position.

3 hours ago, FTW said:

This team needs a lot of difference makers to have a winning record. A competent special teams coordinator, edge rushers, a dominant OL and bell cow type running back. A QB who is a manager and doesn’t turn the ball over whilst also the ability to scramble/run option.

I pretty much agree, but how do we shuffle the staff to fit in a ST Coordinator?  

A dominant OL likely isn't happening without a change

Recruit the right RB or actually coach up the ones you have  and this is very doable.  Iowas seems to have no problems doing this.  Again, likely not happening for us without a change.

Martinez seems like about 90% of the offense.  Maybe that's a necessity for now, but it certainly isn't a good formula for long term success.  A dedicated QB coach shouldn't be needed with Lubick as the OC and Frost as the HC IMO.  Maybe that's how we get the ST coach??

I dunno.  I just know the current formula has gotten us closer, but we're still not where we want to be.

17 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Martinez seems like about 90% of the offense.  Maybe that's a necessity for now, but it certainly isn't a good formula for long term success.

See: what happened when Crouch left. Though I don't feel like the offense now is as lopsided as it was with Crouch, partly just because the passing game is a much bigger part of the offense now than in Crouch's day.