Harbaugh complaining about the officiating

Just now, Mavric said:

I've reffed quite a bit of high school basketball over the last 20-ish years.  I usually do 1-2 JV/Jr High games each year when the local guys come up short.

I enjoy reffing basketball.  I don't really like reffing football.  

Ugggg, I would not do basketball either.

It all just seems so annoying. 

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I umped a little league game once... once.  Team asked me to fill in.  About had to fight dad's from both teams during and after.  I told both teams they better be swinging at anything close.  I would never do it again.  

I have a friend that used to do "select" little league.  One day, he booted a Dad and refused to continue the game until the Dad left the facility.

The other time, he got so sick of the lame parents ragging him that he refused to call a strike on any pitch for that team until they all shut up...and by then the bases were loaded.  Ha

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have a friend that used to do "select" little league.  One day, he booted a Dad and refused to continue the game until the Dad left the facility.

The other time, he got so sick of the lame parents ragging him that he refused to call a strike on any pitch for that team until they all shut up...and by then the bases were loaded.  Ha

Parent's are ridiculous.  One guy threatened to find me after the game and wouldn't shut up.  I had to walk over to the fence between innings and remind him its little league and that he not only is embarrassing himself he is embarrassing his kid.  Then told him if he didn't shut up he would get his wish and told him I wouldn't be hard to find after the game.  I was in my mid 20s and wasn't about to put up with some meth head lookin white trash baseball dad.  I don't even like baseball.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would hate to be a ref.  Have any of you guys done it?

I have done baseball and hated it.  I have been asked to ref middle school football but there is no chance.  It is miserable and I know I would be horrible at it.

My dad has been officiating since 89, my uncle since the 90’s and I’ve been officiating since 05. My uncle has done a State championship game in Memorial stadium while the furthest my dad and I have been was a semifinal game. I don’t mind it but when it gets to be the last game or two of the season I’m ready to be done. The constant b!^@hing from fans, coaches and players gets tiresome thinking we’re trying to screw ‘em over, missed calls and to be gone most of the day and not get home till 11 or later to only get paid $120 at the most sometimes isn’t worth it. I got paid $100 to officiate a varsity game down a man (he had covid) so there’s 4 of us and the game went into OT and got over at 10:30

College officials have it a little easier with having 2 extra officials, replay and not to mention they make like $3,000 per game. They honestly should add one more official to help watch the line 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

It's the right spot though... Forward progress was right at the yellow line.

its not so much about whether he got it or not for me. I think it’s close and debatable, but it’s the principal of what he did that bothers me. It’s a judgement call and his was half a yard short which is reasonable because that’s where the ball was when he stepped out. The issue is what happens after his initial spot. You don’t move it twice like that. That looks fishy and egregious. He also didn’t have our view from that angle so to me it looks even more fishy. It didn’t decide the game or anything like that. I just think it looks horrible, and with a bad officiating outing, it’s more than reasonable to question intent. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Apathy said:

My dad has been officiating since 89, my uncle since the 90’s and I’ve been officiating since 05. My uncle has done a State championship game in Memorial stadium while the furthest my dad and I have been was a semifinal game. I don’t mind it but when it gets to be the last game or two of the season I’m ready to be done. The constant b!^@hing from fans, coaches and players gets tiresome thinking we’re trying to screw ‘em over, missed calls and to be gone most of the day and not get home till 11 or later to only get paid $120 at the most sometimes isn’t worth it. I got paid $100 to officiate a varsity game down a man (he had covid) so there’s 4 of us and the game went into OT and got over at 10:30

College officials have it a little easier with having 2 extra officials, replay and not to mention they make like $3,000 per game. They honestly should add one more official to help watch the line 

I had a history teacher in HS that was a big 10 official in the 80's.  Had some good pics of himself getting smashed between players and getting run over.  

17 minutes ago, Apathy said:

Okay, tell me this, during games I make small talk with the ref closest to me on the sidelines.  I think they find me witty and clever but they probably don't.  I never b!^@h about the game, I just chat with them.

Is that okay?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Jim Harbaugh can suck a railroad spike.  The POS wouldn't even give a post game interview, he was skipping off the field like a little b!^@h.  Deception, yeah ok.  Nevermind we got flagged on rules that had to be dusted off or invented on the spot, and he was awarded 2 touchdowns that had to be reviewed on one drive and another even though there was 0 time on the playclock, and they got a new set of downs for a pass interference where his receiver ran into our defender, and that they only got 3 up on us on a fumble that should've been blown dead seconds earlier.  I coule probably keep going. But yeah Jim. Go ahead and complain more about your win you whiny dork.

Jim should have been flagged and ejected for coming out on the field, really far and really often.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
26 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Okay, tell me this, during games I make small talk with the ref closest to me on the sidelines.  I think they find me witty and clever but they probably don't.  I never b!^@h about the game, I just chat with them.

Is that okay?

Wouldn’t bother me and if it wasn’t a Varsity game I would probably make some small talk with ya. I’ll usually talk to the guys or students running the chains during the lower level games if I’m on that side.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I had a history teacher in HS that was a big 10 official in the 80's.  Had some good pics of himself getting smashed between players and getting run over.  

There was a professor that I had when I went to UNO that was a NFL linesmen.  If you caught him at his office hours you would sometimes get a really good story.

If I am a ref and a coach comes out on the field to b!^@h, this is what I would do and I think this is fair.

"Coach, I just want you to know that I am going to flag you for unsportsmanlike conduct, if you complain or continue on after I flag you, I will throw the second flag.  That will be 30 yards on your team and you will be ejected.  If you just go back and don't say anything, you will stay in the game.  I also promise you that when you make a call in the game today that doesn't go all that well, I will not come over to you and tell you how to do your job.  Okay, here comes the flag, it is up to you if you want to stay out here or go back to the locker room"

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1