Thoughts on bringing in Ed Orgeron as a recruiter?

12 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Huh? I thought you were talking about Lane Kiffin. 

He has had his struggles, and some early coaching problems, but he has turned into a pretty solid coach.  The buyout is pretty large though so I don't see it happening personally.

To re-state a position I have asserted on many prior occasions, do we really believe our on-field struggles are the result of a talent gap?  Do we really need additional help with talent identification / recruitment?  I thought the competitive games against OU, MSU, UM would have finally dispelled this notion.

While I like Coach O as a recruiter, this is not an area of essential need for this program right now.  Maybe a motivational speaker or exorcist would be a better use of resources!

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I would. Not sure what the chances are that he’d actually come here, but he might see the B1G as an easier route to the playoff than the SEC, plus he’s a proven recruiter and he knows what it takes to beat the SEC teams.

Yep, and he is pretty creative mind on offense that seem to score gobs of points wherever he lands.  

55 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yeah, a lot of people are giving Joe Burrow & Joe Brady the credit for the NC.

Well don't forget also 2 WRs that are pro bowl calibre NFL players, and a RB that was a really solid NFL starter year 1. Also a defense loaded with NFL talent. Fulton and Queen are both really good NFL starters. It's pretty rare to see that kind of actual NFL talent on one team. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

To re-state a position I have asserted on many prior occasions, do we really believe our on-field struggles are the result of a talent gap?  Do we really need additional help with talent identification / recruitment?  I thought the competitive games against OU, MSU, UM would have finally dispelled this notion.

While I like Coach O as a recruiter, this is not an area of essential need for this program right now.  Maybe a motivational speaker or exorcist would be a better use of resources!

Can never have too much talent, nor can you ever have too many top-tier recruiters. Just look what has happened to B1G teams in the playoff when they've faced the true big boys. Remember when Michigan State got blown off the grid by Alabama? 

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Can never have too much talent, nor can you ever have too many top-tier recruiters. Just look what has happened to B1G teams in the playoff when they've faced the true big boys. Remember when Michigan State got blown off the grid by Alabama? 

Perhaps.  But it seems like we are taking our eye off the ball if this becomes the focus right now.  It would be a bit like saying we are going to focus on hiring a top flight nutritionist or sports performance analyst when our problems can largely be traced to in-game tactical failures.  While improving body mass index might be desirable, it will do little to change the results.  Let's spend the money on personnel that will truly alter our position.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Perhaps.  But it seems like we are taking our eye off the ball if this becomes the focus right now.  It would be a bit like saying we are going to focus on hiring a top flight nutritionist or sports performance analyst when our problems can largely be traced to in-game tactical failures.  While improving body mass index might be desirable, it will do little to change the results.  Let's spend the money on personnel that will truly alter our position.

Agreed

You grade out your coaching staff- or team by letter grade and seek to invest money and precious coaching spots to address areas that are underperforming

Over the long haul, we seem to consistently have issues with our Offensive Line and Special Teams for starters. If you had to rate our recruiting- it probably has been about a B. Whereas other areas of our team have been D or F+. Would seem to make sense to shore up the areas that are poorly performing. AND our Dline has been pretty solid, we don't need to make changes there. 

ALSO the game has changed. It may make better sense to address our personnel needs in the portal a bit more than we have in the past. 

Some crazy talk from LSU fans - I many really want to get rid of Ed. 

LSU message boards wildly hoping Joe Burrow replaces Ed Orgeron (msn.com)

image.png.fc192a86e3b5f2bbc7fbff7526fdad98.png

LSU message boards are already speculating about Ed Orgeron's replacement as head coach. Joe Burrow is the craziest of all the suggestions.

%7B© Provided by Fansided

If ESPN, FOX or CBS wanted an endless stream of college football content, they could go all-in on a show called "Fans Say the Darndest Things."

With LSU football in a rough patch and Ed Orgeron's job very much in danger, fans have already started dreaming out their ideal replacements.

One fan is dreaming a bit more wildly than the rest.

Let's think this through. An LSU fan wants to convince Joe Burrow to give up his pro career to take over as head coach despite having zero coaching experience.

LSU message boards are full of candidates to replace Ed Orgeron

What's next? Maybe the Tigers should take a run at Tom Brady. At least he's got some gravitas.

Or consider an actual, real-life coach who made Burrow what he is? Former LSU passing coordinator Joe Brady is the offensive coordinator with the Panthers. He'd actually be a solid candidate for the job if Tiger fans want to relive those glory days.

He's not the only one either. Dave Aranda was the defensive coordinator for that title run and is off to a strong start this season as the head coach at Baylor.

There will be many names touted as a possible replacement for Orgeron if he loses his job. It's safe to say Burrow won't be one of them. At least not for a long, long time.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:21 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yeah, a lot of people are giving Joe Burrow & Joe Brady the credit for the NC.

Crazy thing is I heard yesterday on a podcast that if Schiano had been able to take the Tennessee job, Burrow would've gone to Tennessee with him (I'm assuming because of their relationship at Ohio State).  Man talk about an all-time what if.