does eric chinander leave

I became a huge fan of his after the first year. I thought he had the least to work with and he adjusted everything seamlessly. Whether that was finding the best positions for players or his recruiting prowess. His defense then was pretty good but the offense is what messed the numbers up because they would turn the ball over on their side of the field. The guy had a Nebraska tattoo artist cover up his Hawkeye tattoo on this left arm lol. I think he's a lifetime, elite D coordinator. Give him a 200k raise and pay up on the assistants also. They are doing a great job. 

Can't remember if I posted this already or not.

I personally only fully saw in hindsight the lack of talent and more specifically player development from the Riley players after we had completed the 2019 season. There were two big things for me:

• There were two linebackers (that we won't name) that were just flat out bad players. Both of them had graduated by the end of 2019 season.
  • Because Riley had practically abandoned the strength & conditioning program, guys like Daniels & Stille just weren't nearly as strong as they needed to be to compete in this conference.

But, we then had remedied that second bullet point in my opinion by the start of the 2020 season. And guys like Reimer, Henrich, etc. fixed the first problem.

Combine that with added depth at all positions and some more talent at the CB position along with solid coaching all around and you have what we see now. Chinander gets the credit - and deserves to for sure - but a lot of pieces went into fixing the problems that Banker/Diaco left us with.

This was a 4-5 year rebuild from the start. A lot of people - myself included - were just really impatient during those first two years.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

This was a 4-5 year rebuild from the start. A lot of people - myself included - were just really impatient during those first two years.

Yes,  I think we (ok me) thought no way were we worse than the 0-12 UCF team that Frost inherited at UCF. Therefore, it seemed likely that the UCF miracle could happen in Lincoln.  But we were far worse off than any of us knew - and perhaps MR's 9-4 2nd season hid it.  

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes,  I think we (ok me) thought no way were we worse than the 0-12 UCF team that Frost inherited at UCF. Therefore, it seemed likely that the UCF miracle could happen in Lincoln.  But we were far worse off than any of us knew - and perhaps MR's 9-4 2nd season hid it.  

Yeah, I do think we were worse than we really knew because of some of the personnel.

But I also believe firmly that the 2017 UCF team wouldn't have gone undefeated in the B1G West (regardless of their miracle win against Auburn in their bowl game). The competition we face, especially when you factor in the brutal cross-divisional scheduling we constantly get, is something that a lot of fans didn't really seem to factor in there.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah, I do think we were worse than we really knew because of some of the personnel.

But I also believe firmly that the 2017 UCF team wouldn't have gone undefeated in the B1G West (regardless of their miracle win against Auburn in their bowl game). The competition we face, especially when you factor in the brutal cross-divisional scheduling we constantly get, is something that a lot of fans didn't really seem to factor in there.

I agree.  UCF would not have been undefeated in the BIG 10 west.    No doubt they were a very good team and deserved a high ranking. 13-0 is a great accomplishment.  But strength of schedule kept them from being in a playoff.  

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

People knew that Chinander was in over his head and didn't deserve the job

People knew that Garrett Nelson didn't deserve to be on the field

People knew that Martinez was terrible

People knew we were going to get run off the field by Oklahoma

Reminds me of this:

I wish i could plus one this a million times.

• Plus1 2