does eric chinander leave

13 hours ago, roadrat said:

I'm not sure the defense is as good next year with all the super seniors finally leaving. He might look at the cupboard and say see ya.

I think the cupboard is far from bare. As long as the majority of the "super juniors" come back. The year of Covid eligibility definitely has made things weird and a little unpredictable though. But if so, our D-line and line backers should still be very solid next year. Secondary is the biggest question mark on who fills the 2 safety positions and the corner. But I would also argue that's our weakest place anyways so maybe a year of development for some younger guys might make us better off there anyways. 

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I became a huge fan of his after the first year. I thought he had the least to work with and he adjusted everything seamlessly. Whether that was finding the best positions for players or his recruiting prowess. His defense then was pretty good but the offense is what messed the numbers up because they would turn the ball over on their side of the field. The guy had a Nebraska tattoo artist cover up his Hawkeye tattoo on this left arm lol. I think he's a lifetime, elite D coordinator. Give him a 200k raise and pay up on the assistants also. They are doing a great job. 

I could never understand the hate that he got for a couple of years.  He took over a D that flat out couldn't tackle and wanted to have nothing to do with any contact.  The fact that in year 1, as hard as it was to watch tackles being made 10 yards downfield on a dive play, that they at least tackled people was impressive to me.

Lamar Jackson was flat out terrible when Chin got here.  In one year he was a decent player.

• Plus1 3
33 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

I think the cupboard is far from bare. As long as the majority of the "super juniors" come back. The year of Covid eligibility definitely has made things weird and a little unpredictable though. But if so, our D-line and line backers should still be very solid next year. Secondary is the biggest question mark on who fills the 2 safety positions and the corner. But I would also argue that's our weakest place anyways so maybe a year of development for some younger guys might make us better off there anyways. 

Farmer and whoever steps up in spring and fall.

I don't think Chin was a good DC when he came here but that was due to lack of experience. He'd only been a position coach a couple seasons at Oregon when he became DC at UCF, and neither place prepped him for being a DC in the BIG. He's learned and adapted to where we're a much better-coached defense now. He also has a good crew of assistants, Ruud was green as hell when he got here(and our ILB's showed it) but he's improved too. As far as him leaving we'll see. Prospective suitors will know we returned a talented group of veterans this year, if we're lucky they'll see this season as somewhat of an aberration. A nice raise could buy us some time here, would be making about the same as a G5 HC. 

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If he were to leave I think you might have to give Fischer the spot.  He's a good recruiter and the DB's have gotten better since he has been here.  Don't want to lose him too and it would keep some stability on D.  One would assume he knows the defense

I could say that about several D coaches.