does eric chinander leave

16 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Mrs Verduzco- the support you show for your husband is very admirable, given his lack of success here at Nebraska and his bizzare look- but if you love him, more power to you. I won't judge you if you have some type of Hobbit fetish. Just be a bit more subtle, you're giving it away. 

This post is completely uncalled for.

• Plus1 3

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Apparently a decent amount because they moved Verdu to the sideline this year and Martinez has talked about how it makes going over things easier.

Yup, totally get that point, it's a valid one and I understand where Martinez is coming from.  I would imagine it helps tremendously to have a dedicated person to speak with on the field.  Frost has painted himself into a bit of a corner because there are no easy solutions.  If you keep Verdu I think you're essentially hoping your S/T doesn't lose you the game and the past few weeks are about the best we can expect out of Nebraska (I think what NU is asking out of Dawson is really freaking hard).  

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could see any or all of that happening.  However, I would be very surprised if Brown becomes a full time assistant again.  

I actually think the opposite.  I believe the QBs need someone on the field they can talk to after they come off.  They can talk about what happened, what should have happened.  What he needs to do next time he sees something...etc.  That coach can also be a calming influence to the QB if he's frustrated about something on the field.

I also think that Coach V being on the side lines has helped 2AM.

Yup, you very well could be correct on this one.  I don't have the time to dig through it but I'd be curious to know the percentage of P5 teams that have a dedicated QB coach versus a dedicated ST one.  Granted Nebraska may be unique in that they carry 2 LB coaches (I would actually guess that is true.)  In my opinion something has to give because the way it's set up right now is you're just praying your S/T play the other side to a draw.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

This would be the perfect time for him to leave if he can get a HC gig, that is free money in the bank.

Even a non P5 HC gig sets him up for life.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chins gets bumped up over $1mm when his contract renews, at that price point, he can be a bit more choosy should he decide to jump.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Chins gets bumped up over $1mm when his contract renews, at that price point, he can be a bit more choosy should he decide to jump.

Yeah, for sure.

The big difference would just be the years on the contract.  But if you are in a safe spot where you or the HC knows you can stay for a long time, there is a lot of comfort in that.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I also think that Coach V being on the side lines has helped 2AM.

You may be right on that.  But it still begs the question - do we still need the position or could Lubick do the same job of helping 2AM?  Granted, Lubick is most likely up in the coaches box - but it would seem head phones could do the job as well  to communicate what needs to be communicated between series - besides Frost is also down there on the field (not that I want him distracted from his CEO job).   I'm still convinced we need a dedicated ST coach to get us to the next level.  I don't see how we do it unless we remove Coach V or merge 2 groups into one  - Beckton taking TE & WR (both groups catch the ball and both groups must block effectively for the run game).  Or some other combination.  I don't want to mess wt the D side as it is making progress.  I do sometimes wonder why we need an inside LB coach and an OL coach but it seems to be working for now. The LB group as a whole seem to be the strength of the D. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Xmas32 said:

Yup, you very well could be correct on this one.  I don't have the time to dig through it but I'd be curious to know the percentage of P5 teams that have a dedicated QB coach versus a dedicated ST one.  Granted Nebraska may be unique in that they carry 2 LB coaches (I would actually guess that is true.)  In my opinion something has to give because the way it's set up right now is you're just praying your S/T play the other side to a draw.

I get that people are upset about special teams, and rightfully so.

I guess I don't think that we are as far out of line with what other teams do as people like to say we are.  Yes, there are teams that have one guy (apparently) completely dedicated to be the Special Teams Coordinator.  In a quick survey, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Georgia have that.  But several other teams do basically what we do - have a position coach also have the title of Special Teams Coordinator - Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Minnesota, Alabama and Clemson fit that description.  Frost set up Dawson to basically do that.  I don't know why he didn't get the actual title but that's the way it's set up. 

So we aren't even in the minority in how we go about it.  We had a guy that was a dedicated Special Teams Coordinator before and we were a disaster on special teams.  We've tried about every way to go about it.  There isn't a magic bullet or everyone would be doing it that way.

I think we had a few blowups this year but they've been way more about players not making plays or doing stupid things than they have been about some systematic failure.  Generally speaking, I think we've shown steady improvement over the past couple years, even if the numbers don't show it because of the huge mistakes that have been made.  We still have a long ways to go but it seems generally better to me.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Frost and Trev grew up in the TO era of coaching stability and longevity.  I know times are different now, but Tom built a dynasty based on retaining coaches for a long time.  He made sure they were compensated well.  It appears Trev and our admin are very committed to Frost.  My hope would be that they sweeten the pot for  Chins and others to be able to keep them long term.  A head coaching job isn't for everyone and there is less stress as a coordinator or assistant coach.  Bo was a very good DC (until he wasn't at LSU) but couldn't get us over the hump as a HC.  

17 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Well, just looking at a few top programs.

OSU has both dedicated QB and ST team coordinator.

Alabama has their OC as QB coach and TE coach as ST coach.

Georgia has their OC as QB coach and dedicated ST coordinator

Iowas has dedicated QB coach and ST coordinator.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, just looking at a few top programs.

OSU has both dedicated QB and ST team coordinator.

Alabama has their OC as QB coach and TE coach as ST coach.

Georgia has their OC as QB coach and dedicated ST coordinator

Iowas has dedicated QB coach and ST coordinator.

Could you tell where those programs sacrificed - was it because they didn't have 2 LB coaches?

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I get that people are upset about special teams, and rightfully so.

I guess I don't think that we are as far out of line with what other teams do as people like to say we are.  Yes, there are teams that have one guy (apparently) completely dedicated to be the Special Teams Coordinator.  In a quick survey, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Georgia have that.  But several other teams do basically what we do - have a position coach also have the title of Special Teams Coordinator - Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Minnesota, Alabama and Clemson fit that description.  Frost set up Dawson to basically do that.  I don't know why he didn't get the actual title but that's the way it's set up. 

So we aren't even in the minority in how we go about it.  We had a guy that was a dedicated Special Teams Coordinator before and we were a disaster on special teams.  We've tried about every way to go about it.  There isn't a magic bullet or everyone would be doing it that way.

I think we had a few blowups this year but they've been way more about players not making plays or doing stupid things than they have been about some systematic failure.  Generally speaking, I think we've shown steady improvement over the past couple years, even if the numbers don't show it because of the huge mistakes that have been made.  We still have a long ways to go but it seems generally better to me.

I appreciate the quick back of the napkin math you put together about other teams.  You are correct, in that I (and alot of other people) have been miffed about the S/T play.  You know what though?  The only thing I'm really annoyed about is the total lack of a punt return game and the punting.  I don't think you can really do much about the kicking because kicking is such a weird mental thing that when it goes bad, it goes way bad and sometimes you're on the wrong side of variance.  Nebraska ran soooo pure for like 15 years with kickers that we were probably due for some regression there.  I'm not even really miffed about the lack of kickoff returns either with the fact you get the ball at the 25 now as I would imagine by and large, you should just call for a fair catch the vast majority of the time.

• Plus1 1