Husker ADs, football, and rumors.

Kentmick

6 hours ago, Kentmick said:

It's a glowing endorsement to say he wasn't the worst hire in college football history and far from the worst hire? You have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, you blame Callahan for "destroying what BD and TO built". Well,Callahan didn't hire himself, Steve Pederson did. Pederson is the one who destroyed the program. Pederson was working on that before he even hired Callahan. Did you even read the Athletic article? Considering the train wreck of the coaching search, the fact that we got a coach who recruited well, made it to the Big 12 title game, beat Michigan in a bowl game, we did better than it could have been. 

Was Callahan a fit for Nebraska? Nah. But I think Callahan did his best. Gave an honest effort. The only thing that I found unforgivable was not letting Cosgrove go. But then again, I assume he was circling the wagons after fans made death threats to Cosgrove and harassed his kids. I mean, I can sympathize with that.

I said, Callahan was the coach that destroyed the program. True story. But yes, we can at least agree that Pederson was the AD that destroyed it and was even more responsible because he hired Callahan and allowed it to be dismantled.

Still think it was a hideously long OP about BS to be posting in season the day before an actual game. But whatever. You chose to write it and I chose to not read it.

For those who have a subscription to The Athletic, Mitch Sherman wrote a great column on Steve Pedersen's head coaching search in 2003 (which extended to early 2004). It was a very good read, and Callahan basically fell into Pedersen's lap and was recommended by Callahan's agent after Pedersen's first 4 (yes 4!!!) choices turned him down. 

I actually did read it and I thank the OP for putting the time and effort in to writing it. The premise is an interesting one. And one that I could agree with.

I think that should be the basis of the discussion instead coach a sucks and coach b ruined our world. because that was not the point of the article. 

as for the point. It is interesting that it seems like the rumors have died down a bit. Remember all the chaos last year with Players getting volleyball players pregnant and the such. I don’t believe any of that was true. Or this year with Scott’s martial status. Not to mention Scott’s demeanor since Trev became AD. It is night and day different. 

tl;dr

it’s a good write up about how rumors can hurt a program and if folks would read it they would understand it’s not another rehashing of “who ruined Nebraska football”

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, soup said:

Remember all the chaos last year with Players getting volleyball players pregnant and the such. I don’t believe any of that was true.

We mostly know the actual story behind that now, and the truth is worse than the rumor...

28 minutes ago, soup said:

as for the point. It is interesting that it seems like the rumors have died down a bit. Remember all the chaos last year with Players getting volleyball players pregnant and the such. I don’t believe any of that was true. Or this year with Scott’s martial status. Not to mention Scott’s demeanor since Trev became AD. It is night and day different. 

Yep. Trev's our guy and Scott's our guy and all feels right in the world today.  Going to take 5 years to heal my heart from the depths we went through to find our way, but eventually, we will be whole again.

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

We mostly know the actual story behind that now, and the truth is worse than the rumor...

Agreed on the one situation. (And the OP mentioned that in his post. Where is the line at for squashing rumors and exposing legitimate bad things?) but in this case I’m talking about the Martinez rumors from last year when he was benched. 

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I said, Callahan was the coach that destroyed the program. True story. But yes, we can at least agree that Pederson was the AD that destroyed it and was even more responsible because he hired Callahan and allowed it to be dismantled.

Still think it was a hideously long OP about BS to be posting in season the day before an actual game. But whatever. You chose to write it and I chose to not read it.

K