Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

Another option I would be ok with is Hiring Tom Herman as OC and moving Lubic to QB coach. 

I would like someone to pump some life blood into the recruiting program we need to get a pulse because right now it is dead. We need O linemen depth and we just need to get into the top 10 in recruiting. It needs to happen otherwise I don't care who the coach is; it wont fly without better players. 

Someone is going to have to sell me on Chadwell. You realize they barely squeaked passed Buffalo? I don’t see it. Sure keep the option in the bag of tricks but Minny stopped a couple yesterday just fine. Big 10 defenses are way better than what Coastal Carolina plays. Heck UCF played better teams than Coastal Carolina. The last thing we need is another hot young coach bringing in a non Power 5 staff thinking the BIG will adjust to his offense. I want a guy who already had done it it in the big leagues and brings in the staff to recruit to win. The staff is just as important as the top guy.

11 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Another option I would be ok with is Hiring Tom Herman as OC and moving Lubic to QB coach. 

I would like someone to pump some life blood into the recruiting program we need to get a pulse because right now it is dead. We need O linemen depth and we just need to get into the top 10 in recruiting. It needs to happen otherwise I don't care who the coach is; it wont fly without better players. 

Herman is a really good QB coach.  Have Lubick coach WRs which he has done for years.  I would also like to see a new O-line coach along with a new S&C coach. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Someone is going to have to sell me on Chadwell. You realize they barely squeaked passed Buffalo? I don’t see it. Sure keep the option in the bag of tricks but Minny stopped a couple yesterday just fine. Big 10 defenses are way better than what Coastal Carolina plays. Heck UCF played better teams than Coastal Carolina. The last thing we need is another hot young coach bringing in a non Power 5 staff thinking the BIG will adjust to his offense. I want a guy who already had done it it in the big leagues and brings in the staff to recruit to win. The staff is just as important as the top guy.

I look at his success at all of his stops.  12 years as a HC.  I think his offense if very innovative.  A spread triple option, but a lot of RPO off the option.  Not a traditional triple option.  2019 and 2020 they have put 2 fresh on the AA list and 2 defensive guys 1st and 3rd team.  TBH, If Frost stays and he changes staff, Herman or Chadwell would be my choice as OC......I also like Herman as HC (or Chadwell).  There are a few others I have seen that I think would be good as well.  

I am not a fan of anyone on the O staff besides Beckton.  No idea what Lubick really does.  Unsure what/how/when he calls plays.  WR rotation (maybe injuries) is odd.  Austin, Verduzco and Held.....SMH.  See ya. I like the idea of Ron Brown as RB coach.  He's a winner.  A great mentor if Frost stays.  Bill Busch as ST and assist with pass defense. Our pass D was not the issue under Cally.  Nor were our ST's.  He can also recruit well.  Someone had mentioned Warriner as OL coach.  Another solid choice. Don't know if you cobble together an O or let the OC choose...

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I look at his success at all of his stops.  12 years as a HC.  I think his offense if very innovative.  A spread triple option, but a lot of RPO off the option.  Not a traditional triple option.  2019 and 2020 they have put 2 fresh on the AA list and 2 defensive guys 1st and 3rd team.  TBH, If Frost stays and he changes staff, Herman or Chadwell would be my choice as OC......I also like Herman as HC (or Chadwell).  There are a few others I have seen that I think would be good as well.  

I am not a fan of anyone on the O staff besides Beckton.  No idea what Lubick really does.  Unsure what/how/when he calls plays.  WR rotation (maybe injuries) is odd.  Austin, Verduzco and Held.....SMH.  See ya. I like the idea of Ron Brown as RB coach.  He's a winner.  A great mentor if Frost stays.  Bill Busch as ST and assist with pass defense. Our pass D was not the issue under Cally.  Nor were our ST's.  He can also recruit well.  Someone had mentioned Warriner as OL coach.  Another solid choice. Don't know if you cobble together an O or let the OC choose...

And we replace Duvall with Jerry Schmidt from Texas A&M.   

• Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

He has a higher ranked recruiting class than we do to lol 

• Plus1 2

I think in the end, whomever is next, needs to be someone who can coach and inspire lesser talent.  Stoops, Urban, etc...are from big time programs where 4 star are the lesser talent.  Here we get 3 star.  we need someone that can coach them up.  inspire them to give up their bodies to swarm to the ball.  Coach kids to use a chip on their shoulder.  So i think it has to be a promising coach from a lower tier team that has a proven record of winning on all levels.  I also think they have to have a system that is similar to the Big 10 way of playing and not try to "trick" them like Frost thought he could.

I've never seen it confirmed anywhere but I've heard rumors for a lot of years that Venables did something absolutely terrible when he was at KSU that killed his HC chances for a lot of years.  Now, he's making $2.5mm as a DC and gets to be around his son.  I don't think he's going anywhere until his kid leaves school or he gets let go.

It's hard to not be impressed when you watch Coastal Carolina and they play App State either tomorrow or Wednesday which will be a great test for them at Boone.  Maybe I'm just jaded because of how bad Nebraska is on offense after watching Frost's offenses zip up and down the field at UCF but I'm just a bit skeptical that Caldwell's offense can work in the Big Ten because it relies such much on taking advantage of defensive mistakes and scheming dudes open.  I mean, the reason the Big Ten is so tough is because they have a lot of really good players and really good coaches.  I will grant you, his offense would be a complete PITA to prepare for as a DC and it's hard not to think that a Caldwell offense combined with a Chins defense would produce some pretty darn good teams.  At this stage of the game and because it isn't my money, I'd be pretty happy if they hired Caldwell.  While people would be upset about firing 'one of our own' they'll hear the words 'option' and 'fullback' and will....

Lonely Island GIFs | Tenor

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Ggodd002 said:

I think in the end, whomever is next, needs to be someone who can coach and inspire lesser talent.  Stoops, Urban, etc...are from big time programs where 4 star are the lesser talent.  Here we get 3 star.  we need someone that can coach them up.  inspire them to give up their bodies to swarm to the ball.  Coach kids to use a chip on their shoulder.  So i think it has to be a promising coach from a lower tier team that has a proven record of winning on all levels.  I also think they have to have a system that is similar to the Big 10 way of playing and not try to "trick" them like Frost thought he could.

This is why I like the potential for Jamey Chadwell. He wins games with 0-3 star talent. He hasnt been at a big shiny football palace. He would view NU as the hanging gardens of babylon. He would have resources, facilties, support than he has ever had at any of his stops. I would love to see his offense with a higher level of player. Heck their current QB commit for this class is ranked a few spots higher than ours and he coaches in the damn sunbelt. 

• Plus1 2

I would prefer Monken or Calhoun, but Chadwell's stuff doesn't rely on defensive mistakes at all. First and foremost, it makes the defense commit to stop a certain look, and then they take the open grass, whether it be through read/pitch option or RPO. Frost implemented a few of Chadwell's concepts for this year, and they've looked great against lesser competition, and even some good option looks against Minnesota. I don't know why he doesn't go to it more.

As I have stated before, and assuming the fanbase is prepared to overlook past conduct (both professional and personal), the best available coach in my opinion would be Hugh Freeze at Liberty.  

Freeze and Liberty play his previous employer (Ole Miss) later this year so keep an eye on that game.  

November, 2022 will be here before you know it...

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic