Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I anticipate Frost will be back next year. I don't agree with it because with an easier schedule he has a better chance at getting to 6 wins with a schedule he should get to 10 wins with. This will show "improvement" and let Frost go another year. History tells me he will stick around that 4 to 5 win that he has shown to do every year while here. 

If he truly only gets 6 wins next year i think he's done.  8 should be the floor expectation given the only for sure games we'd be underdogs would be oklahoma, michigan, and probably iowa/wisconsin depending on those two teams look next year

24 minutes ago, Fru said:

Fickell is probably the only option that would have me excited. The idea of bringing in a no name up and comer and watching him take 3 years to recruit his guys, install his system and learn what the B1G is all about sounds absolutely dreadful. 

I see Coach Fickell as comparable to Coach Frost.  One that can demonstrate success in a lesser division / league, but one that may not translate well to Power 5.  He had his HC tryout at OSU in 2011 and that did not go exceedingly well. Bookended by 12-1 (under Coach Tressel) in 2010 and 12-0 (under Coach Meyer) in 2012, Luke Fickell guided the same personnel to 6-6 in 2011.  We just need to recognize that AAC coaches may not be the answer in FBS Power 5 leagues.  Just ask Florida State about Coach Norvell...

• Fire 1
20 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Someone is going to have to sell me on Chadwell. You realize they barely squeaked passed Buffalo? I don’t see it. Sure keep the option in the bag of tricks but Minny stopped a couple yesterday just fine. Big 10 defenses are way better than what Coastal Carolina plays. Heck UCF played better teams than Coastal Carolina. The last thing we need is another hot young coach bringing in a non Power 5 staff thinking the BIG will adjust to his offense. I want a guy who already had done it it in the big leagues and brings in the staff to recruit to win. The staff is just as important as the top guy.

I agree with you here. That Coastal offense isnt going to work against NFL caliber D-line and Lb's game in and game out. There is a reason its really only Army, Navy and Air Force that run the triple option offense of the past. Minnesota pretty my stifled our version of it. In the B1G it will work here and there. I do not see it working week in and week out. 

2 hours ago, skers83 said:

I believe you're thinking of Houston Nutt. Coached at Arkansas. 

Thanks...sorry!

2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Since Coach Freeze was at Briarcrest Chistian School in Memphis until 2004 (high school), I doubt he was offered any FBS head coaching jobs in late 2002 (when Coach Solich was terminated).  

He only joined the Ole Miss staff as an assistant in 2004.  

Thanks for clarifying...got him mixed up with a different SEC guy.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

I agree with you here. That Coastal offense isnt going to work against NFL caliber D-line and Lb's game in and game out. There is a reason its really only Army, Navy and Air Force that run the triple option offense of the past. Minnesota pretty my stifled our version of it. In the B1G it will work here and there. I do not see it working week in and week out. 

This season Coastal has passed the ball 140 times for 290yds a game and ran it 237 times for 264yds a game. 

Army 39 passes 72yds per game and rushed 375 times for 295yds per game. 

Navy 51 passes 59yds per game and rushed 359 times for 215yds per game

Air Force 49 passes 79yds per game and rushed 462 times for 336yds per game

Do these offenses even seem remotely similar? 

• Plus1 2

It has to be a proven successful Power 5 head coach. Not just an experienced head coach, we tried that with Callahan and Riley, remember with Riley the question was, "Look at what he did with Oregon State, now imagine what he can do with the resources at Nebraska." Callahan coached in a super bowl, and I get it wasn't his players, but still getting your team to a super bowl is good no matter what your roster is.

Pelini was the emotional hire, we all wanted him, not a proven head coach, but most of us wanted Pelini and felt he understood Nebraska and we were willing to stick out the growing pains with him because he understood Nebraska. 

Scott Frost, on paper, was a grand slam hire. Everything we wanted in a head coach. He is from Nebraska, he played for Nebraska, he knew Nebraska, you knew that there wasn't anyone else in the world that wanted to win at Nebraska more than him. He was a successful position coach, he was a successful offensive coordinator, he was a successful head coach at a Group of 5 team and he turned them around from a winless season into an undefeated season. I mean my God, this was it, this was THE hire for Nebraska football. Sadly and defeatedly it has fallen flat and extremely short of expectations.

The last move we have is to get an experienced and proven Power 5 conference winning coach. One that has gone up against the best of the best and although may not win all the time against the best, has shown they can win some of the time against the best. So who are these coaches and which one of them would seriously consider coming to Nebraska? Either by leaving their current job or coming out of retirement for? This is why I am hesitant to go all in on moving on from Frost. Because what I just talked about with him, on paper we can't find a better fit, but if you look at our potential replacements, who realistically could that be? It's a small list if you ask me.

21 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

It has to be a proven successful Power 5 head coach. Not just an experienced head coach, we tried that with Callahan and Riley, remember with Riley the question was, "Look at what he did with Oregon State, now imagine what he can do with the resources at Nebraska." Callahan coached in a super bowl, and I get it wasn't his players, but still getting your team to a super bowl is good no matter what your roster is.

Pelini was the emotional hire, we all wanted him, not a proven head coach, but most of us wanted Pelini and felt he understood Nebraska and we were willing to stick out the growing pains with him because he understood Nebraska. 

Scott Frost, on paper, was a grand slam hire. Everything we wanted in a head coach. He is from Nebraska, he played for Nebraska, he knew Nebraska, you knew that there wasn't anyone else in the world that wanted to win at Nebraska more than him. He was a successful position coach, he was a successful offensive coordinator, he was a successful head coach at a Group of 5 team and he turned them around from a winless season into an undefeated season. I mean my God, this was it, this was THE hire for Nebraska football. Sadly and defeatedly it has fallen flat and extremely short of expectations.

The last move we have is to get an experienced and proven Power 5 conference winning coach. One that has gone up against the best of the best and although may not win all the time against the best, has shown they can win some of the time against the best. So who are these coaches and which one of them would seriously consider coming to Nebraska? Either by leaving their current job or coming out of retirement for? This is why I am hesitant to go all in on moving on from Frost. Because what I just talked about with him, on paper we can't find a better fit, but if you look at our potential replacements, who realistically could that be? It's a small list if you ask me.

An actual person who has shown they can rebuild programs over and over again at every level up to G5? We haven't tried that. 

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Frost rebuilt UCF very quickly.

You actually consider that a rebuild? How many losing seasons did they have in a row before Frost? What was their record the 3 years before he came? Look at every year Frost has been a HC. Which of his seasons don't match any of the others? 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You actually consider that a rebuild? How many losing seasons did they have in a row before Frost? What was their record the 3 years before he came? Look at every year Frost has been a HC. Which of his seasons don't match any of the others? 

I would say taking over a winless G5 team is a worse situation than taking over a winless Power 5 team. At the Power 5 you have the resources and ability to bounce back quicker, if a G5 team goes winless they can be in the dump for a long long time and may never fully recover. A couple bad back to back years at a G5 school could literally ruin it. 

1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

I would say taking over a winless G5 team is a worse situation than taking over a winless Power 5 team. At the Power 5 you have the resources and ability to bounce back quicker, if a G5 team goes winless they can be in the dump for a long long time and may never fully recover. A couple bad back to back years at a G5 school could literally ruin it. 

When you're located in Orlando Florida and surrounded by talent? Honestly UCF is the best G5 gig in the country. Didn't UCF go to a new year's bowl not very long ago prior to Frost? 

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I anticipate Frost will be back next year. I don't agree with it because with an easier schedule he has a better chance at getting to 6 wins with a schedule he should get to 10 wins with. This will show "improvement" and let Frost go another year. History tells me he will stick around that 4 to 5 win that he has shown to do every year while here. 

I will preface this by saying I know I’m about to say something ridiculous and will understand if I deservedly get laughed out of the thread for it.

I can definitely see your scenario playing out. We bring Frost back, he has a solid bowl year, and gets another year out of it. My biggest concern if that happens is what next then. We’ve had some recruiting misses and some weird recruiting takes but generally speaking, Frost and his staff have kicked butt on the recruiting trail. They didn’t just stop putting energy into it or somehow lose the ability to recruit. Even if Frost’s seat isn’t remotely hot in the confines of the city or athletic department, that’s not what public perception sees and it seems pretty evident that coaches are using the uncertainty against us in recruiting.

Can we realistically have one to two more recruiting classes with that uncertainty looming overhead? If we were to bring Frost back for another 2023, I almost think you have to extend him at that point if nothing else but for the sake of recruiting. I understand how ridiculous that sounds considering that’s a big reason for the questions currently. Maybe Trev can get creative without buyout clauses in a hypothetical extension lol.

1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

I will preface this by saying I know I’m about to say something ridiculous and will understand if I deservedly get laughed out of the thread for it.

I can definitely see your scenario playing out. We bring Frost back, he has a solid bowl year, and gets another year out of it. My biggest concern if that happens is what next then. We’ve had some recruiting misses and some weird recruiting takes but generally speaking, Frost and his staff have kicked butt on the recruiting trail. They didn’t just stop putting energy into it or somehow lose the ability to recruit. Even if Frost’s seat isn’t remotely hot in the confines of the city or athletic department, that’s not what public perception sees and it seems pretty evident that coaches are using the uncertainty against us in recruiting.

Can we realistically have one to two more recruiting classes with that uncertainty looming overhead? If we were to bring Frost back for another 2023, I almost think you have to extend him at that point if nothing else but for the sake of recruiting. I understand how ridiculous that sounds considering that’s a big reason for the questions currently. Maybe Trev can get creative without buyout clauses in a hypothetical extension lol.

My worry is a 6-6 season in year 5 isn't going to bring the juice back to recruiting. We are currently ranked 73rd with zero 4 star players. Dead last in the B1G. Is it a smaller class? Sure it's a very small class but we still shouldn't be below G5 schools etc even with a limited number of spots. The excitement for Frost has left the building. He can't recruit to results including on the field and the draft. He can't recruit to his vision and what he's building because that's easy to recruit against at this point. "Why would you want to lose most of the games you play in kid?" 

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic