Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

The CC coach is probably a southern lifer, isn't he?  Some of those boys just don't like leaving the South.  I could be wrong but I thought all his stops were in the South.

The Bengals coach would have been a sweet hire but they missed that boat by about 2 years or so.

Joe Bradley is a name that pops up.  I have no reason to think it would come down to NU and LSU for him but if it did, NU is the easier gig because the conference is so lame and the division NU is in is horrible.  

The Wisconsin DC is going to be ready to leave after this year.  That could be interesting, sort of a Dave Aranda type.

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The CC coach is probably a southern lifer, isn't he?  Some of those boys just don't like leaving the South.  I could be wrong but I thought all his stops were in the South.

The Bengals coach would have been a sweet hire but they missed that boat by about 2 years or so.

Joe Bradley is a name that pops up.  I have no reason to think it would come down to NU and LSU for him but if it did, NU is the easier gig because the conference is so lame and the division NU is in is horrible.  

The Wisconsin DC is going to be ready to leave after this year.  That could be interesting, sort of a Dave Aranda type.

Chadwell has basically over his career been in Tennessee or the Carolinas. 

I want Frost to win so badly. Can't make a real judgement call until the end of the season, but history shows us we're very likely not going bowling. Realistically, barring catastrophe, I think he's back next year.

My Realistic Take:

Fire Verduzco, Held, and Austin. Maybe Lubick as well. Revitalize the offensive side of the ball and make sure Frost isn't calling plays anymore. He clearly needs to focus on all phases of the game. Go out there and get the absolute best offensive assistants money can buy with a huge emphasis on OL. This is basically the Solich treatment.

My Less Realistic Take:

I don't envy Trev Alberts, but if I am Trev I am only making a decision if I have my homerun hire in the bag. Who would be a homerun hire at this point?

Bob Stoops

Chris Petersen

Urban Myer

Those are really the only absolute homeruns I can think of. I don't care for Urban, but you can't discount his success. We can discuss the reality of either of them coming here all we want, but bottom line is you have to at least put out the feelers and see if there's any possible interest and you likely need to do that now. If either of them bite, Frost gets his pink slip and we move on. If neither of your homeruns bite, then Frost gets another year and if he wins we're golden. If he doesn't, you have more financial freedom.

• Plus1 3

I saw someone else post it a while back but I really like Wisconsin's defensive coordinator, Jim Leonhard.

-Would really hurt Wisconsin to lose him

-Came up with defensive plans to continually beat Iowa over his career

-Regularly turned not top 25 classes into top 10 defenses

Hire a solid OC and this seems like a great and believable option. 

Leonhard will NOT leave Wisky for NU or any other gig for that matter.

The more I think about this, it's Bill O'Brien for me.  What he did at PSU was more or less amazing,  Could coach circles around the current QB guru we have here.  Would bring a downhill more power running game.  And the only way he'd become part of the Saban vs his assistants stat is if NU were to have "glory years" type seasons and actually be relevant. 

• Plus1 3

I'll be interested to see if the team rallies around Frost and some how scratches out a bowl win.  Eerily similar to Frank in 2003......Wins and gets let go....Bo has the troops rally for the bowl game and he gets the boot.  The he beats Iowa in 2014....and gets the boot.  Again.

I wonder if his survival is truly predicated in his success moving forward or if the top guy(s) on Trev's list answer the call.....

We need Jessica, the sock puppet and the fish tank cleaner guy to get the band back together and let us know what the hell is going to happen......

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I want Frost to win so badly. Can't make a real judgement call until the end of the season, but history shows us we're very likely not going bowling. Realistically, barring catastrophe, I think he's back next year.

My Realistic Take:

Fire Verduzco, Held, and Austin. Maybe Lubick as well. Revitalize the offensive side of the ball and make sure Frost isn't calling plays anymore. He clearly needs to focus on all phases of the game. Go out there and get the absolute best offensive assistants money can buy with a huge emphasis on OL. This is basically the Solich treatment.

My Less Realistic Take:

I don't envy Trev Alberts, but if I am Trev I am only making a decision if I have my homerun hire in the bag. Who would be a homerun hire at this point?

Bob Stoops

Chris Petersen

Urban Myer

Those are really the only absolute homeruns I can think of. I don't care for Urban, but you can't discount his success. We can discuss the reality of either of them coming here all we want, but bottom line is you have to at least put out the feelers and see if there's any possible interest and you likely need to do that now. If either of them bite, Frost gets his pink slip and we move on. If neither of your homeruns bite, then Frost gets another year and if he wins we're golden. If he doesn't, you have more financial freedom.

People need to get a grip.  Bob Stoops under no circumstances will ever be our coach.  He's 61 years old.  Financially, he's set for life.  Then, there's the little nugget where we fired one of his best friends.  Bob Stoops may very well coach again, but it will never be at Nebraska.  Chris Petersen resigned a couple of years ago.  He's a guy that I don't ever see coaching at this level again.  He may very well never coach at any level again.  Urban Meyer more than likely coaches at the collegiate level again.  It may be as early as next season.  However, it will never be at a school like Nebraska.  He wouldn't even take his dream job at Notre Dame when offered opting for Florida.  Why?  Zook was a horrible coach but a great recruiter.  Florida was absolutely stacked with talent, and this was before the SEC was the dominant conference.  He went to Ohio State when the B1G wasn't exactly dominant and Ohio State was absolutely stacked with talent.  If he coaches at the collegiate level next year, my money is on USC.  The Pac 12 is down.  They don't have any dominant coaches.  These are the opportunities he jumps at.  

If we're being honest with ourselves at this point in time, there's almost zero chance Trev's got his homerun hire in the bag.  He hasn't even been the AD all that long.  He might very well have a list or is composing a list right now, but this is as far as he could be.  I don't think there is any way he was hired with the expectation of replacing the head football coach in his first year as AD.  Unless Frost resigns, I can't imagine him not being here next year.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

People need to get a grip.  Bob Stoops under no circumstances will ever be our coach.  He's 61 years old.  Financially, he's set for life.  Then, there's the little nugget where we fired one of his best friends.  Bob Stoops may very well coach again, but it will never be at Nebraska.  Chris Petersen resigned a couple of years ago.  He's a guy that I don't ever see coaching at this level again.  He may very well never coach at any level again.  Urban Meyer more than likely coaches at the collegiate level again.  It may be as early as next season.  However, it will never be at a school like Nebraska.  He wouldn't even take his dream job at Notre Dame when offered opting for Florida.  Why?  Zook was a horrible coach but a great recruiter.  Florida was absolutely stacked with talent, and this was before the SEC was the dominant conference.  He went to Ohio State when the B1G wasn't exactly dominant and Ohio State was absolutely stacked with talent.  If he coaches at the collegiate level next year, my money is on USC.  The Pac 12 is down.  They don't have any dominant coaches.  These are the opportunities he jumps at.  

If we're being honest with ourselves at this point in time, there's almost zero chance Trev's got his homerun hire in the bag.  He hasn't even been the AD all that long.  He might very well have a list or is composing a list right now, but this is as far as he could be.  I don't think there is any way he was hired with the expectation of replacing the head football coach in his first year as AD.  Unless Frost resigns, I can't imagine him not being here next year.  

People posting those names should be locked.  It's so ridiculous and adds nothing to the actual discussion. 

10 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I've never seen it confirmed anywhere but I've heard rumors for a lot of years that Venables did something absolutely terrible when he was at KSU that killed his HC chances for a lot of years.  Now, he's making $2.5mm as a DC and gets to be around his son.  I don't think he's going anywhere until his kid leaves school or he gets let go.

It's hard to not be impressed when you watch Coastal Carolina and they play App State either tomorrow or Wednesday which will be a great test for them at Boone.  Maybe I'm just jaded because of how bad Nebraska is on offense after watching Frost's offenses zip up and down the field at UCF but I'm just a bit skeptical that Caldwell's offense can work in the Big Ten because it relies such much on taking advantage of defensive mistakes and scheming dudes open.  I mean, the reason the Big Ten is so tough is because they have a lot of really good players and really good coaches.  I will grant you, his offense would be a complete PITA to prepare for as a DC and it's hard not to think that a Caldwell offense combined with a Chins defense would produce some pretty darn good teams.  At this stage of the game and because it isn't my money, I'd be pretty happy if they hired Caldwell.  While people would be upset about firing 'one of our own' they'll hear the words 'option' and 'fullback' and will....

Lonely Island GIFs | Tenor

He pissed off some very big donors for KSU.  He was set to marry one of their daughters and ended up cheating on her right before their wedding.   KSU brass was told if he ever returned that KSU would lose their biggest donors.  

This came from a guy that has been a decent donor and season ticket holder for all the sports at KSU for the last 15+ years.  

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, captain_sasquatch said:

My Realistic Take:

My Less Realistic Take:

Bob Stoops

Chris Petersen

Urban Myer

I agree that we need to let the rest of the season play out, but if it goes as it has gone this year we are only winning one (maybe two) more games and finishing with another losing season.  Isn't that by itself a catastrophe for a 4th year coach?  

I also am not confident that firing some assistants will change the long-term trajectory of the program unless those assistants are home run hires and Frost lets them make key decisions.  Frost has struggled with decision making and judgment, whether you look at the staff he has brought it and stuck by, the QB he continues to stick by despite struggling to win games, or the many questionable calls we see almost every game like being in shotgun on 4th and inches from the goal line.  It's not just the assistants that are problematic but its Frost's leadership acumen that is not up to par.  How does that suddenly get changed?

For new coaches, I am not sure any of those three would come, but I also think Matt Campbell would be a HR hire in that he has proven himself at a P5 school despite Iowa State not having some of the resources and history that Nebraska brings to the table.  I believe there are other really strong coaches out there as well that should be given a look.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Assuming you mean to say Joe Brady, he is getting fast tracked like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a NFL HC soon so he might hold out for that. I wonder which is the easier gig for a young coach? NFL you can really just load up on coordinators and don't have to worry about recruiting. 

I see people mention Freeze a lot and I think it's the same deal as Chadwell. I think his next job will be a SEC HC because he's just a southern guy. He def is a good coach and a shady recruiter. I'm down for someone that pushes the rules in recruiting but I doubt he would come here. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

He pissed off some very big donors for KSU.  He was set to marry one of their daughters and ended up cheating on her right before their wedding.   KSU brass was told if he ever returned that KSU would lose their biggest donors.  

This came from a guy that has been a decent donor and season ticket holder for all the sports at KSU for the last 15+ years.  

Thanks for posting, that makes a ton of sense.

3 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Assuming you mean to say Joe Brady, he is getting fast tracked like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a NFL HC soon so he might hold out for that. I wonder which is the easier gig for a young coach? NFL you can really just load up on coordinators and don't have to worry about recruiting. 

I see people mention Freeze a lot and I think it's the same deal as Chadwell. I think his next job will be a SEC HC because he's just a southern guy. He def is a good coach and a shady recruiter. I'm down for someone that pushes the rules in recruiting but I doubt he would come here. 

There is absolutely zero chance that Joe Brady becomes a P5 HC in the next 10+ years.  Dude is gonna be a NFL lifer.  From everything I read on him while he was at LSU was that he despised the recruiting part of the job

I’m going to add another name that could sneak up, Mario Cristobal. He seems like a Big 10 fit. His offense is built around the offense line in which he takes pride. His teams are physical, he recruits well, he would run to set up the pass. Has a competitiveness swagger that we frankly need back.

Don’t overlook him. He remembers when we were good. I think he has more of an old school feel that fits the Big 10 and wanting to play OSU, Michigan, Penn State.

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic