Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

Just now, Decoy73 said:

Other , more successful, head coaches seem to have no problem with changing staff who’s unit’s have underperformed.  Often with good results.  

if Frost approaches this as a means to “prolong his tenure,” then he’s going to fail.  

I would hope he would approach the possibility of making coaching changes to make this thing work, as he has said he would many times.  

Decoy, I completely agree that most successful coaches identify an issue, find its' origin (technique, personnel, staff, scheme, etc.) and correct.  Given that this Coach hand-selected the staff and has steadfastly stood by them for 4 years, it is hard to argue that he even recognizes that a problem exists.  Remember, this is a "good team" that is "close" and just seems to be stuck in the "same movie".  In other words, NU is a victim of circumstance with no ability to re-shape the outcome (with sarcasm of course).

That then leads me to the conclusion that staff changes at this late stage are only the result of booster, administration, or fan pressure and are a means to prolonging tenure.  The changes will not ultimately result in a better record next season.

27 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

The Head Coach has the opportunity to pick the team that best supports his efforts.  That team was chosen for their ability to work together, their loyalty and their complimentary talents.  At this stage, I am not in favor of Coach Frost removing assistants as a means of prolonging his tenure.  

This group of coaches should remain together and will get a 5th Year despite the poor results to date.  For a Head Coach who is struggling to remove a few assistants this season only to wrongly claim in Year 5 that poor performance is now the result of a new system is misguided.  

If he wanted to go a different direction, that should have been considered in Year 2 or Year 3 (at latest).  We are too far down the road for that to even enter the discussion.

This comes back to decision making and judgment by Frost who is the CEO of the team.  If he did not make the right decisions to change the staff in year 2 or 3, why should we trust him with future personnel decisions. 

2 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Frost is the answer but he will continue to get it wrong until he gets quality B1G style coordinators. 

Even the Bobfather changed up his coordinators, including OC, after a couple of lackluster 6-4 seasons. I just think Frost's loyalty is blinding him to the truth that Bob was able to see plain as day. Thing is, Bob Devaney had a lot of coaching experience under his belt before coming to Lincoln. Frost...not so much. 

Can't remember that fellow's name that took over the OC helm under Devaney, but I guess he worked out okay for Nebraska?  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 3
Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

This comes back to decision making and judgment by Frost who is the CEO of the team.  If he did not make the right decisions to change the staff in year 2 or 3, why should we trust him with future personnel decisions. 

I agree HN.  To your point, I posted in another forum that one must actually recognize a problem in order to fix it.  Coach Frost does not believe there is a problem as we are a "good team" that is "close".  Hiring new personnel will not alter his mindset about the progress he believes he is making.  NU in his estimation is merely the victim of circumstances outside of his control.  I think we all know where this is headed in 2022...

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

2)Army, Navy, and Air Force are almost always out-matched athletically, but somehow, they have winning records and make bowl games. They move the ball. They keep their defense fresh. They keep themselves in most games. A struggling, rebuilding Navy squad beat Malzahn's high-flying UCF Knights a couple weeks ago. 

We need to go back.

Your points are well taken although I do need to point out that UCF was rolling out their backup QB (who is not very good) after their stud starter got hurt at the tail end of the previous game.  It was a perfect storm for Navy in that game.

1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I agree HN.  To your point, I posted in another forum that one must actually recognize a problem in order to fix it.  Coach Frost does not believe there is a problem as we are a "good team" that is "close".  Hiring new personnel will not alter his mindset about the progress he believes he is making.  NU in his estimation is merely the victim of circumstances outside of his control.  I think we all know where this is headed in 2022...

To say that Frost doesn't recognize our problem areas is inaccurate.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I will grant you the NFL argument, but only for QB's and WR's. The good news is that we won't be recruiting against the big dogs for those kinds of kids. We could spend that  recruiting time and money on defensive prospects (where games are won, anyway). But I guarantee that we would recruit linemen and running backs to a system where there is a lot of run blocking and a lot of running the ball. 

Offensive Linemen, too. It's awesome when your linemen can pull and string out plays for your running attack, but if they don't have a record of drop back pass protection, their NFL prospects take a big hit. 

We have a running attack now — it's actually #21 in the nation -- and it features the option. If we simply announced our intention to run the ball a lot more than we passed, opposing defenses would be thrilled.

Almost every successful team prefers to run the ball if that's what's working. But good defenses typically make that adjustment. So good offenses have to do a lot of things well, including playcalling. 

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

can we get a quick recap of the "choices" thus far? i havent felt the want or need to read through all the posts of what people think they know. we may also get an ambitious poster who feels the need to create a new thread with a poll to rehash everything yet again.

Think of any college football coach (past, present, dead, alive) and they have been listed.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Decoy, I completely agree that most successful coaches identify an issue, find its' origin (technique, personnel, staff, scheme, etc.) and correct.  Given that this Coach hand-selected the staff and has steadfastly stood by them for 4 years, it is hard to argue that he even recognizes that a problem exists.  Remember, this is a "good team" that is "close" and just seems to be stuck in the "same movie".  In other words, NU is a victim of circumstance with no ability to re-shape the outcome (with sarcasm of course).

That then leads me to the conclusion that staff changes at this late stage are only the result of booster, administration, or fan pressure and are a means to prolonging tenure.  The changes will not ultimately result in a better record next season.

Thanks for the clarification.  I misunderstood you earlier.  I agree and fear that you may be right.  Maybe Coach Frost simply doesn’t know how to make his offense work.  Or maybe he’s too proud of himself to take a step back and look in the mirror?  Many of us ( myself included) like to point at the O line, or the RB room or Verdu.   But it could be that his scheme and often sporadic play calling are just not compatible with consistent success. 

13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I cannot speak to what he discusses privately, but publicly he is steadfast in his assertion that this is a "good team".  I think we can all agree that a 5-3 record (with near misses against MU, MSU, OU) would affirm that suggestion of progress. However, we are not and to suggest otherwise in any forum is a bit hyperbolic.   In terms of the specific problems, he is measured not on his ability to identify issues, but resolve them.  I would say he is slow to identify issues and his record of resolution to date is poor.

27 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Oh I am sure he recognizes them. We have all seen then for nearly 4 years now. Recognizing a problem is the easy part. The hard part is actually addressing the problems. Something that he hasnt done for nearly 4 years now. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Even the Bobfather changed up his coordinators, including OC, after a couple of lackluster 6-4 seasons. I just think Frost's loyalty is blinding him to the truth that Bob was able to see plain as day. Thing is, Bob Devaney had a lot of coaching experience under his belt before coming to Lincoln. Frost...not so much. 

Kinda. Bob Devaney was HC at Wyoming for five years before coming to Nebraska. Frost had two years at HC in a more competitive environment, and roughly 20 years being mentored by some of the most successful coaches in the entire sport. Three years as OC at an incredibly successful Oregon program ain't nothing, either. He was the hottest coaching prospect in college football when we hired him. I don't think hindsight offers much of a clue to what's happening now, or what we should do next.

Bo Pelini was a perfectly defensible choice, too. 

It's really about the person and how he (or she!) inspires the people around him. There is no assurance that the successful P5 HC translates that success to Nebraska. Just look at some of the Hot Prospects from the last three coaching searches; quite a few "proven" winners who are now out of the game or floundering at smaller schools.

Nebraska is probably going to have to take a risk with the hungry coordinator at a successful P5 school, or a hot HC from a lesser conference. They will save money and probably have just as good a chance of turning things around, depending on the character and motivation of the coach. 

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic