Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

Your points are well taken although I do need to point out that UCF was rolling out their backup QB (who is not very good) after their stud starter got hurt at the tail end of the previous game.  It was a perfect storm for Navy in that game.

This is an important detail, but it actually just further proves my point. In the spread, SO much pressure is placed on the quarterback position, that if the starter goes down, unless you're Ohio State, Oklahoma, or Alabama, your offense is pretty much done. We will never have a back-up ready to come in and move us down the field like the starter. 

I contend with an option offense, more pressure is on the offensive line and backfield. Does the QB need to make snap-decisions, and does the offense depend on this? Absolutely, but the reads are quick, easier, and easy to rep in practice a lot. The back-up can get nearly the amount of quality reps as the starter, and be ready to keep the offense going if need be. 

7 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I misunderstood you earlier.  I agree and fear that you may be right.  Maybe Coach Frost simply doesn’t know how to make his offense work.  Or maybe he’s too proud of himself to take a step back and look in the mirror?  Many of us ( myself included) like to point at the O line, or the RB room or Verdu.   But it could be that his scheme and often sporadic play calling are just not compatible with consistent success. 

I think the overall philosophy is what is flawed, so undertaking a staff housecleaning will do little to change the results at this stage.  Watching other former / current AAC coaches such as Luke Fickell and Mike Norvell struggle at the Power 5 level makes me wonder if that approach can translate in the BIG, ACC, etc.  The lesson we should take from this experience, and others such as FSU and OSU, is to avoid going that direction again.  

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Offensive Linemen, too. It's awesome when your linemen can pull and string out plays for your running attack, but if they don't have a record of drop back pass protection, their NFL prospects take a big hit. 

We have a running attack now — it's actually #21 in the nation -- and it features the option. If we simply announced our intention to run the ball a lot more than we passed, opposing defenses would be thrilled.

Almost every successful team prefers to run the ball if that's what's working. But good defenses typically make that adjustment. So good offenses have to do a lot of things well, including playcalling. 

Well, 21st in the country obviously isn't good enough, considering we're sitting at 3-5 and dealing with the very real possibility of sitting at home during bowl season. Again. There is NO WAY anyone can justify how things have gone offensively for this staff this year, and the 3 previous.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

This is an important detail, but it actually just further proves my point. In the spread, SO much pressure is placed on the quarterback position, that if the starter goes down, unless you're Ohio State, Oklahoma, or Alabama, your offense is pretty much done. We will never have a back-up ready to come in and move us down the field like the starter. 

I contend with an option offense, more pressure is on the offensive line and backfield. Does the QB need to make snap-decisions, and does the offense depend on this? Absolutely, but the reads are quick, easier, and easy to rep in practice a lot. The back-up can get nearly the amount of quality reps as the starter, and be ready to keep the offense going if need be. 

We're in agreement here, just disagreeing on the minutiae.  If Gabriel doesn't get hurt against Louisville, I'm guessing they beat Navy pretty handily is all.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Well, 21st in the country obviously isn't good enough, considering we're sitting at 3-5 and dealing with the very real possibility of sitting at home during bowl season. Again. There is NO WAY anyone can justify how things have gone offensively for this staff this year, and the 3 previous.

That was basically my point. You can defend a lot of things on paper, but your eyes tell you a completely different story. 

But a panicky move back to our 1995 offensive scheme is not going to get you 1995 results. 

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That was basically my point. You can defend a lot of things on paper, but your eyes tell you a completely different story. 

But a panicky move back to our 1995 offensive scheme is not going to get you 1995 results. 

Gotcha. 

The only way we run our '95 scheme again is if Osborne himself is calling plays. Which would be cool, not gonna lie. 

I'm not asking for that. Paul Johnson option - I'm convinced it would work. We would have an identity (which we don't right now), and we would be unique; hard to prepare for in the B1G.

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I agree HN.  To your point, I posted in another forum that one must actually recognize a problem in order to fix it.  Coach Frost does not believe there is a problem as we are a "good team" that is "close".  Hiring new personnel will not alter his mindset about the progress he believes he is making.  NU in his estimation is merely the victim of circumstances outside of his control.  I think we all know where this is headed in 2022...

Unless we see things turnaround and can finish 3-1 or 4-0, I am hoping that 2022 brings in some new blood to offer us all some hope.

42 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Gotcha. 

The only way we run our '95 scheme again is if Osborne himself is calling plays. Which would be cool, not gonna lie. 

I'm not asking for that. Paul Johnson option - I'm convinced it would work. We would have an identity (which we don't right now), and we would be unique; hard to prepare for in the B1G.

I think you're a bit off with the bolded.  In the last dozen or so years, we have had some tremendous athletes playing QB here.  For as much hate as he receives, can you imagine what Adrian Martinez could have done behind the 95' OL?  What Taylor Martinez could have done behind that line?  What Tommie Armstrong could have done behind that line?  I don't want to take anything away from TO's playcalling, but it was pretty easy to call plays back then considering not only his OL but the defense we had as well.  

In the last dozen or so years, we have had some decent OL and put some in the NFL.  Unfortunately, the OL as a whole has not exactly played very well as a unit.  We have some decent OL this year, but they don't exactly play well together each and every play.  There's always a breakdown on nearly every play.  

Football has changed in many ways over the last three decades.  However, the one constant is winning the trench war.  Win the trench war and controlling turnovers typically results in a favorable outcome.  We have guys that are still getting pushed around in the trenches.  

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic