Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Gotcha. 

The only way we run our '95 scheme again is if Osborne himself is calling plays. Which would be cool, not gonna lie. 

I'm not asking for that. Paul Johnson option - I'm convinced it would work. We would have an identity (which we don't right now), and we would be unique; hard to prepare for in the B1G.

I think Osborne himself said he probably couldn't run that '95 scheme against today's defenses, but would have innovated some hybrids, as other coaches have done.

Agree that some of our less respected QBs including Armstrong and both Martinez's would have been awesome and more beloved in those Osborne offenses, and more importantly, defenses. A defense that gives up and average of 12 points a game allows an offense to wear the opponent down. Nebraska has spent way too much time playing from behind the past 10 years. 

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Smashmouth mistake-free football!

Sounds funny but made me think of Bo.  Reminder look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_seasons

and zeroing in on his seasons after we suffered through Callahan after Frank's 7-7 then his 9-4 and gone, then Bo came here with his smash mouth attitude and yep I wish he were here now (as compared to the Mr. Rogers attitude of Gentleman Mike Riley and this Hollow Hero we now have). 

Are there any NFL Coaches not named Urban who may be better suited for the college game.  Thinking how Nick Saban failed at Miami - came back to the college level and the rest is history. I wonder if Zac Taylor would be interested in coming home?   His Bengals are doing well so far this year - so maybe he wants to prove himself at that level. I remember him as a hard nose, very competitive QB.  He paid his due as an assistant coach on the college and pro level before getting the opportunity at Cinci.

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Are there any NFL Coaches not named Urban who may be better suited for the college game.  Thinking how Nick Saban failed at Miami - came back to the college level and the rest is history. I wonder if Zac Taylor would be interested in coming home?   His Bengals are doing well so far this year - so maybe he wants to prove himself at that level. I remember him as a hard nose, very competitive QB.  He paid his due as an assistant coach on the college and pro level before getting the opportunity at Cinci.

I'm not sure going with the home town guy is the right thing to do if we have a coaching change this year?  I'm thinking true CEO type who places extreme value on getting the best assistants in the country.  Maybe Zac fits that description?  I'm not familiar with his coaching.  

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure going with the home town guy is the right thing to do if we have a coaching change this year?  I'm thinking true CEO type who places extreme value on getting the best assistants in the country.  Maybe Zac fits that description?  I'm not familiar with his coaching.  

Yes, I'm not either - I've just have followed him from a far and have watch his development and witness his climb.  It may be too early again in his head coaching career to consider him - he may not have yet developed that CEO mindset??  But I agree we need a CEO type, a take charge type of guy who won't settle for anything but excellence and demands it out of himself, his assistants and his players.  And by the way, I would not want a former Husker just for its sake alone - that experiment has failed.  Zac like Ganz are a couple of my favorite players who never won 'the big game"  - Conf Championship or NC but who gave their all on the field.   Zac was like a coach on the field - made up for some of BC's inadequacies. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yeah nothing like recruiting for one type of offense for 4 years just to switch offenses again... solich- option, Callahan- pro, Pelini- spread, Riley - pro, Frost spread..... gee wonder why our offense is the weak point?

25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yeah nothing like recruiting for one type of offense for 4 years just to switch offenses again... solich- option, Callahan- pro, Pelini- spread, Riley - pro, Frost spread..... gee wonder why our offense is the weak point?

I don't have a dog in the fight, but Frost's offense looked pretty good during the second half of 2018 with a lot of Riley recruits.

• Plus1 1

Let's get back on track realistically who are we looking to hire. That is who would be willing to come and polish the brass on the Titanic.

Are we getting Saba , Dabo, Kelly, L.Riley. Day. No.

Stoops.  No

Does Trev get Urban. No

David Shaw? No Fickel? Doubtful he will have better options. Bill O'brian he would not be here for the Long Haul unless we paid him an astronomical amount of money.

I mean I am really at a lose of who we could logically get that would be the program changing hire that will get us to the national championship. I do not want a up and comer I want a proven coach that has long term sustained success.

Jim Trussel at 68?   

I think we need to add Tom Herman as OC move Lubic to QBC and get a recruiting and special teams coordinator in here pronto. Given the circumstances I think it's our best option.

In selecting a new coach, I would focus on the following experiences:

1.  Proven P5 experience

2.  Proven non-P5 experience

3.  Proven NFL experience

4.  Great coordinator learning under a Saban or other elite coach

Now proven can be somewhat subjective but I would say it would be somebody that has at least 3 seasons of finishing in the top 3 of a P5 division at a minimum.  

I have seen some good names in this thread.  It's too bad that Bryan Harsin was picked up by Auburn this past year as I think he would have been a good target.  

Some other random names would be Dave Doeren from NC State.  He has midwest ties and did well an NIU and has done pretty well with NC State which is not known to be a premier football school.  

I know Lane Kiffin and Jamey Chaldwell have been mentioned in here too.  I think any of these guys would provide a more reliable program than we have with Frost. 

1 hour ago, RichardHangslow said:

Let's get back on track realistically who are we looking to hire. That is who would be willing to come and polish the brass on the Titanic.

Are we getting Saba , Dabo, Kelly, L.Riley. Day. No.

Stoops.  No

Does Trev get Urban. No

David Shaw? No Fickel? Doubtful he will have better options. Bill O'brian he would not be here for the Long Haul unless we paid him an astronomical amount of money.

I mean I am really at a lose of who we could logically get that would be the program changing hire that will get us to the national championship. I do not want a up and comer I want a proven coach that has long term sustained success.

Jim Trussel at 68?   

I think we need to add Tom Herman as OC move Lubic to QBC and get a recruiting and special teams coordinator in here pronto. Given the circumstances I think it's our best option.

Craig Bohl!!! Klieman at KState! Turner Gill! 

1 hour ago, RichardHangslow said:

Would Herman take a job where he wouldn't have the reigns of the offense? Would Frost even want him? Would Lubick be okay with a demotion? Who are you firing to get a ST Coordinator? Like was discussed in the Staff Changes thread, Most likely we will have this staff run it back, as is - or an entirely new coaching staff altogether. Staff changes don't really seem to be in the cards this late in the game. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Would Herman take a job where he wouldn't have the reigns of the offense? Would Frost even want him? Would Lubick be okay with a demotion? Who are you firing to get a ST Coordinator? Like was discussed in the Staff Changes thread, Most likely we will have this staff run it back, as is - or an entirely new coaching staff altogether. Staff changes don't really seem to be in the cards this late in the game. 

Fire Mario. Replace with Lubic. Hire Herman for his Texas connection to high schools and recruit it heavily

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic