Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

I feel like Red when Andy is talking to him about "getting out" and about "hope".  

Geez, we all know that Frosty is in play for at least two more years.  All this convo is nothin' but a pipe dream.  You just gotta checkout ... stop watching and sell your tickets.  Let it stink.  Let it tank.  I really have no clue who would be available in two years.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

It's hard to rank much lower than Frost in all actuality. 

Looking back I recall a similar feeling about Callahan, with all the hype/hope as he came in and swished his hand around to change the culture and tanked the program.  Frost is (apparently) making efforts to change it back, a tough row to hoe at this point and that is the only thing I like about him.

But he's showing that he's not up to the W vs L task of being quite relevant and feared in our conference.  I feel like it can be done because we see heavy-win teams in the B1G.. and we should be one of them.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

There is no way we are getting a coach like him. We are gonna have to settle for an up and coming coordinator. The position is no longer a relevant one. 

The Big 12 is crumbling and not included in the Alliance. The BIG still is a top football conference and the West division is easier to navigate than the East. There are a lot of pros that Nebraska offers over ISU. 

I also disagree that we must settle for a coordinator. There are plenty of head coaches better than Frost that we could pursue.

1 hour ago, hagg said:

Looking back I recall a similar feeling about Callahan, with all the hype/hope as he came in and swished his hand around to change the culture and tanked the program.  Frost is (apparently) making efforts to change it back, a tough row to hoe at this point and that is the only thing I like about him.

But he's showing that he's not up to the W vs L task of being quite relevant and feared in our conference.  I feel like it can be done because we see heavy-win teams in the B1G.. and we should be one of them.

Is he? His players were late getting ready for the Minnesota game and then played flat the entire 1st half. This isn't year 1 its year 4 if players are still acting like this it's because they know they will get away with it. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Is he? His players were late getting ready for the Minnesota game and then played flat the entire 1st half. This isn't year 1 its year 4 if players are still acting like this it's because they know they will get away with it. 

By culture I’m referring to the play style on the field and the tougher attitude of the 90s and before. I sure agree with the failure you imply as to the other definition of culture, being more accountable as to discipline etc. Correct me if I’m taking that wrong. I see those two things closely linked and Frost trying but failing with both. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

He may be the next coach of the Raiders, but I am not completely sold on him.  Several recent KC Offensive Coordinators have moved on with limited success (Doug Pederson - Eagles and Matt Nagy - Bears).  Pederson had the lone Super Bowl season and then was very quickly ushered out.  Nagy has struggled in Chicago.

Make no mistake, Andy Reid remains the force behind the offensive playcalling in Kansas City.

I certainly don't disagree, but I think Bienemy is the real deal, and his hire fits several needs in LV 

21 hours ago, Jpetermbb said:

Mark Helfrich as OC? Average head coach but him and Frost seemed to work well together at Oregon

Good OC/QB-coach that is somebody that Frost would be comfortable-with running the O with Lubick. Also, given their history may be a guy that would overlook the regime looking shaky where others would take a pass. 

3 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I’d have a hard time replacing Frost for another with zero HC’ing experience or for someone who failed at a previous P5 gig. 

I don't know how this isn't absolutely common knowledge, but having previous head coaching experience is not an indicator of future head coaching success.

Dabo Swinney, Bob Stoops, David Shaw, Lincoln Riley, Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher at FSU, Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Kyle Whittingham, Chris Petersen at Boise, Tom Osborne, Chip Kelly at Oregon....all first time head coaches with zero experience.

On the other hand, Rich Rod at Michigan & Arizona, Kevin Sumlin at A&M and Arizona, Tom Herman at Texas, Bert Beilema at Arkansas, Mike Riley, Brady Hoke, Charlie Strong, Tommy Tuberville, Dennis Franchione, Willie Taggart, and others all hired with good head coaching experience, to the tune of miserable results.

Obviously there are reverse examples of both of these as well, but just goes to show there is no reliable predictor of being good based on if you have previous head coach experience or not.

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic