Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

And I see Chadwell’s stock has dropped with a big thud. Like I said, someone sell me on this guy most had never heard of before this year. No thank you. We need someone who has done it before and knows what it takes. There is no way Frost is out for the next so called sure thing. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chamrocck said:

And I see Chadwell’s stock has dropped with a big thud. Like I said, someone sell me on this guy most had never heard of before this year. No thank you. We need someone who has done it before and knows what it takes. There is no way Frost is out for the next so called sure thing. 

Because he lost a game?

we hired a coach that went undefeated.  It’s not going well.

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, chamrocck said:

If we dropped folks stock based on losing a single game Frost would have been fired years ago. 

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1

When we look at a new coach I am looking for certain traits.

*Instill the type of toughness that makes SEC and B1G programs great

*Establish relationships with their athletes and instill greatness during their time and UNL and in life.

*a coach that develop athletes into top level players with a chance at a NFL career

*A coach that can instill a culture of accountability and winning driven by the athletes

*I don't care if they have any ties to the program.  Our 2 best coaches played at small colleges.  One was a Bronco and the other was a Scotty.  We don't have to have a Husker tie.  Trev will let them know about the traditions.

7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I'd still take him. App St is no slouch.  A year in and year out power  house at the G5 level.  Not an excuse for Chadwell, but you go from Conway SC (sea level) to Boone, NC (mile high) and there is some issues with altitude....

If we are looking for a long term proven winner, go Urbs, Venables, Stoops, Bieniemy....

With family that are Texas fans. One thing I've learned about hiring head coaches from another team is they feel obligated to bring assistants with them at current job or they are unemployed looking for work. Saw it with Herman, Frost, Strong which is why Texas went Sarkisian route so they can bring in Assistants that are top of the line as position coaches. Look at special teams coach at Texas Jeff Banks makes a million a year cause he is supposedly a top notch recruiter. Will it work I have no idea. But what I want is a coach that is gonna use transfer portal like crazy, hire coaches that can recruit Midwest, and bring in top position coaches. Like Mikey Joseph WR coach, Jake Peetz RB or QB coach or OC. Doug Colman special teams coach, corey raymond DB coach.  Who that coach is I don't know. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, jackattack030 said:

With family that are Texas fans. One thing I've learned about hiring head coaches from another team is they feel obligated to bring assistants with them at current job or they are unemployed looking for work. Saw it with Herman, Frost, Strong which is why Texas went Sarkisian route so they can bring in Assistants that are top of the line as position coaches. Look at special teams coach at Texas Jeff Banks makes a million a year cause he is supposedly a top notch recruiter. Will it work I have no idea. But what I want is a coach that is gonna use transfer portal like crazy, hire coaches that can recruit Midwest, and bring in top position coaches. Like Mikey Joseph WR coach, Jake Peetz RB or QB coach or OC. Doug Colman special teams coach, corey raymond DB coach.  Who that coach is I don't know. 

Ed Orgeron 

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't know how this isn't absolutely common knowledge, but having previous head coaching experience is not an indicator of future head coaching success.

Dabo Swinney, Bob Stoops, David Shaw, Lincoln Riley, Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher at FSU, Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Kyle Whittingham, Chris Petersen at Boise, Tom Osborne, Chip Kelly at Oregon....all first time head coaches with zero experience.

On the other hand, Rich Rod at Michigan & Arizona, Kevin Sumlin at A&M and Arizona, Tom Herman at Texas, Bert Beilema at Arkansas, Mike Riley, Brady Hoke, Charlie Strong, Tommy Tuberville, Dennis Franchione, Willie Taggart, and others all hired with good head coaching experience, to the tune of miserable results.

Obviously there are reverse examples of both of these as well, but just goes to show there is no reliable predictor of being good based on if you have previous head coach experience or not.

Those you listed either took over dominating programs with keys to the Ferrari, are top10 historical programs, or a G5 school. We’ve tried many avenues, except for a proven P5 coach. If we’re going to cut loose from Frost, it wouldn’t make sense to repeat the same hiring practices. Go swing a huge c*** and bring in a legit coach. It makes no sense to give another coach a shot to learn on the fly or hire someone like Kiffin, without giving the same grace to allow Frost to develop as a coach. We know what we got when we hired him. 

3 hours ago, lo country said:

I'd still take him. App St is no slouch.  A year in and year out power  house at the G5 level.  Not an excuse for Chadwell, but you go from Conway SC (sea level) to Boone, NC (mile high) and there is some issues with altitude....

If we are looking for a long term proven winner, go Urbs, Venables, Stoops, Bieniemy....

Boone, NC is not a mile high.  It's 3,333.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I don't see a problem with the way Frost is composing himself and leading as a head coach just in general. I don't see him melting down under the pressure, be it during games or outside of games. I still see him having the confidence and drive to continue to get it done.

The biggest potential problem I see is that I'm not sure he is objective enough about what is actually wrong. Specifically:

1. His offensive staff hasn't been good enough at developing offensive linemen.

2. He never got a special teams coaching situation sorted out at the beginning of his time here.

I think he needs one more year, but I cringe at the idea of seeing these same problems happen again next year.

He has to go 7-5 next season or he gets canned. Even 6-6 isn't good enough next year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

In all seriousness and I think I saw his name once or twice, is Dave Clawson who is currently undefeated at Wake Forest.  The dude has won everywhere.  Fordham, Bowling Green, Richmond and now WF.  I think the thing with Clawson is he got such a bad rap when he was fired at Tennessee back in the late 2000s after 1 or 2 years that it was almost like he got black balled.  I think he was there when they pushed out Fullmer and he got tainted by association.

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic