Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

40 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Maybe I miscommunicated my initial comment because you are arguing points that I’m not even making.

There are people opining for coaches who are exactly what we have now, had in Bo, and will happen again with another coordinator - Inexperience and inexperienced staff.

There are people suggesting coaches who have had the benefit of longevity to turn their career trajectory around.

The two things we haven’t done are; stick by a coach and support him while he develops, or find a proven winner. Why not afford Frost the same chance at NU - if we are throwing out names like Herman, Kiffin, Chadwell, or some hot coordinator?

I never stated, nor implied, that there is some recipe to finding a successful coach.

Interesting post.  I think our position now in 2021 is much different than in 2014 when Bo was fired.  Back in 2014 we had a good coach that could win 9 games consistently, but the desire was to find an elite coach that could get us winning conference titles.  A huge mistake was made in selecting Riley.  

The program got worse with 3 years of Riley where he finished 19-19 (.500), well below the mark Pelini had set.  Thus Riley was fired, and I supported that decision to let him go after 3 years as I do not believe he would have suddenly gotten better if we kept him a couple of additional years.

We then hire Frost thinking he would be an elite coach given his magical 2017 season.  Frost was brought in to win division titles at a minimum, but as we all know, we are heading toward a 4th straight season with a losing record.  I am curious what coaches out there had 4 straight losing season and then suddenly hit their stride and went on to become an elite coach.  With the sample size we have for Frost (6 seasons), we have to predict his likely future success based upon the data we have to date.  Unless a miracle happens and we finish 4-0, we will not have a winning season yet again this season, so I do not believe retaining Frost will get us back to being an elite program, and I am not even confident Frost could get us back to 9 or 10 wins every year like we had with Pelini.

So in terms of where to go from here, we should always strive for an experienced elite coach, but if that is not feasible, we should at least pursue a coach that will yield consistent 9/10 win seasons which would be a building block.  It's not an easy situation at all, but I feel hanging onto Frost is simply delaying the inevitable as he likely would get to a winning season next year because we have the easiest schedule in a decade, but then 2023 the schedule gets a bit tougher and in 2024 its absolutely brutal (Michigan, OSU and Penn State are the crossover games).  I would not keep Frost 3 more seasons to be mired in mediocrity simply because we are afraid to fire a former player or we are afraid of his buyout.  

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

There are only 3 FBS stadiums at over a mile of elevation and they're all within a couple hours of me:

Wyoming: 7215

Air Force: 6620

Colorado: 5360

AFA games are fun.  I have two cousins who are AFA grads so they come for a game or two per season typically and we golf at the academy, tailgate and go to the game.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, TheSker said:

AFA games are fun.  I have two cousins who are AFA grads so they come for a game or two per season typically and we golf at the academy, tailgate and go to the game.

That sounds like a great time.  Also the one of the 3 I haven't been to a game at, will need to remedy that situation I think.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

First, I don't know how giving a coach 7 years, and NOT firing him after he dares the AD to fire him and he's caught on tape s#!tting all over the fanbase, can be construed as not sticking by a coach and supporting him while he develops. So, I think we have done that. 

Regardless, re: the bold, for how long? We've given Frost everything he could need for four years and we've gotten almost nowhere. I'm honestly asking because I don't have an opinion on if he should stay or not, but how long is long enough with little to no signs of improvement or upwards trajectory? 

First paragraph: Completely off topic comments but here we go…you are forgetting how SE was hired behind TOs back to do the bidding of HP. Bo was caught on a hot mic saying what Rex Burkhead echoed - the fans deserted the team before one of the greatest comebacks in school history. Should Rex be condemned too? We are so soft to think that what someone says behind closed doors would be a fireable offense, to where we are today how fans are hoping the sellout streak ends. Fans are so fickle in what they want. For those who personally took offense to Bo’s comments, then maybe they were the ones who walked out or turned the tv off? I honestly can’t believe people defend SE over Bo in this position. Bo’s an a$$ but they had an agenda out for him, SE never attempted a relationship with him and always had a buffer to handle Bo, or was Bo lying about that on Bussin with Boys? What type of s#!t a$$ organization does that to an employee without having an agenda?

This program is in a better place now than what Frost took over - zero doubt. He has screwed up, he’ll continue to screw up, and I didn’t expect him to burn the program down to rebuild, but that’s what occurred and now this program is a few tweaks away from turning the corner. It’s a few upgrades at key positions - Qb and a sack artist. It’s 1-2 years away from a developed OL - it would be disingenuous to suggest that the Big Ten is big boy football, but expect underclassman to play like seniors. Riley didn’t believe in working out and lifting, do you not see how much they can actually match up with an elite opponent or do we need to lose to OSU 63-3 again to remember how this team gives up in the 1st quarter? I say that rhetorically, not to be a jerk at your expense. 

I simply don’t see a fledgling P5 coach or another DC/OC to be the solution, nor understand why people would have the patience for a different coach, but not for Frost. It’s the same story for Husker fans since TO took over at the helm, it wasn’t the fans who kept him in Lincoln over moving on to Boulder. It’s a damn good thing a football guy first stuck with his guy. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Interesting post.  I think our position now in 2021 is much different than in 2014 when Bo was fired.  Back in 2014 we had a good coach that could win 9 games consistently, but the desire was to find an elite coach that could get us winning conference titles.  A huge mistake was made in selecting Riley.  

The program got worse with 3 years of Riley where he finished 19-19 (.500), well below the mark Pelini had set.  Thus Riley was fired, and I supported that decision to let him go after 3 years as I do not believe he would have suddenly gotten better if we kept him a couple of additional years.

We then hire Frost thinking he would be an elite coach given his magical 2017 season.  Frost was brought in to win division titles at a minimum, but as we all know, we are heading toward a 4th straight season with a losing record.  I am curious what coaches out there had 4 straight losing season and then suddenly hit their stride and went on to become an elite coach.  With the sample size we have for Frost (6 seasons), we have to predict his likely future success based upon the data we have to date.  Unless a miracle happens and we finish 4-0, we will not have a winning season yet again this season, so I do not believe retaining Frost will get us back to being an elite program, and I am not even confident Frost could get us back to 9 or 10 wins every year like we had with Pelini.

So in terms of where to go from here, we should always strive for an experienced elite coach, but if that is not feasible, we should at least pursue a coach that will yield consistent 9/10 win seasons which would be a building block.  It's not an easy situation at all, but I feel hanging onto Frost is simply delaying the inevitable as he likely would get to a winning season next year because we have the easiest schedule in a decade, but then 2023 the schedule gets a bit tougher and in 2024 its absolutely brutal (Michigan, OSU and Penn State are the crossover games).  I would not keep Frost 3 more seasons to be mired in mediocrity simply because we are afraid to fire a former player or we are afraid of his buyout.  

To the bolded:

I wrongly assumed he could walk in, get this turned around and guarantee bowl games every year, but winning division titles out the gate was never a standard I assumed. I believe his ego got in his own way, on top of taking over a program that was abused by administrators who stroked their own egos and a coach who’s team ate more ice cream than spent time at the squat rack. 

I think TO is correct when he believes in firing slowly and hiring quickly. If who they target is not who they get and end up with 2nd or 3rd choice, then I believe it’s another 3-4 years of the same crap product we’ve witnessed since Riley. If Alberts dismisses Frost, then I’ll trust he has someone lined up to turn the key and go because I do believe this program is 2-3 years away from just that.

I understand what you’re saying about this basically being a lame duck because I have my doubts too, but I do see progress - despite the losses. The lack of urgency is mind numbingly painful, the lack of competition at QB is glaring, and while bringing in transfer or JUCO OL is diamond in the rough - their lack of upperclassman depth is holding this unit back and it’s baptism by fire. Ultimately, lack of OL success is the #1 factor holding the offense back - and that’s coming from someone who agonizes over AM a great deal. 

Saw this on the presser that NU is shutting down HS recruiting for 2022 and looking hard at the Juco ranks to fill the gaps...Great idea.  Think it will help tremendously.  However, a poster had mentioned was this also due to HS kids showing significantly less interest in NU, we are ranked liked 75th and 12th in the B1G and IIRC some local prospects have already passed on NU.....

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Saw this on the presser that NU is shutting down HS recruiting for 2022 and looking hard at the Juco ranks to fill the gaps...Great idea.  Think it will help tremendously.  However, a poster had mentioned was this also due to HS kids showing significantly less interest in NU, we are ranked liked 75th and 12th in the B1G and IIRC some local prospects have already passed on NU.....

We are actually dead last (14th) in the 2022 recruiting rankings. I honestly cannot remember a time we were dead last halfway through a season.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

11 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

To the bolded:

I wrongly assumed he could walk in, get this turned around and guarantee bowl games every year, but winning division titles out the gate was never a standard I assumed. I believe his ego got in his own way, on top of taking over a program that was abused by administrators who stroked their own egos and a coach who’s team ate more ice cream than spent time at the squat rack. 

I think TO is correct when he believes in firing slowly and hiring quickly. If who they target is not who they get and end up with 2nd or 3rd choice, then I believe it’s another 3-4 years of the same crap product we’ve witnessed since Riley. If Alberts dismisses Frost, then I’ll trust he has someone lined up to turn the key and go because I do believe this program is 2-3 years away from just that.

I understand what you’re saying about this basically being a lame duck because I have my doubts too, but I do see progress - despite the losses. The lack of urgency is mind numbingly painful, the lack of competition at QB is glaring, and while bringing in transfer or JUCO OL is diamond in the rough - their lack of upperclassman depth is holding this unit back and it’s baptism by fire. Ultimately, lack of OL success is the #1 factor holding the offense back - and that’s coming from someone who agonizes over AM a great deal. 

I think Trev will, and already has, helped with the urgency.

I agree that Frost's ego got in the way more than once, but how could it not?  He went undefeated and was national coach of the year in his second damn year as a head coach.

Frost has more support pieces in place than ever right now and still has the support of the influential leaders 

I am very happy Trev is in place.  He's the right guy at the right time.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, lo country said:

We only have 8 players graduating and maybe a couple juniors go the draft route.

if I’m frosty, I’m also trying to hit on some transfers to make an immediate impact like tourę has been.  seeing how we aren’t getting any high 4 or 5 star guys that would make an immediate impact anyways, why not use the little spots we have on higher upside in the short term when u need wins

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We are actually dead last (14th) in the 2022 recruiting rankings. I honestly cannot remember a time we were dead last halfway through a season.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

The average of #4 -#14 is pretty close.

The rest has a lot to do with total # of recruits.  Penn State and Ohio State #1 and 2 isn't surprising.

The staff is looking for the right pieces and has done pretty well late in the process before.

7 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

They had one bad game and that cancels him out? He runs the perfect offense for Nebraska. Truth be told, if we played App. State at their place we'd likely lose, too.

Yes he’s out. 55 yards on 29 carries vs App State. This guy has beaten no one. He plays in the minor leagues. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, TheSker said:

The average of #4 -#14 is pretty close.

The rest has a lot to do with total # of recruits.  Penn State and Ohio State #1 and 2 isn't surprising.

The staff is looking for the right pieces and has done pretty well late in the process before.

I read an athletic article where Frost said 2022 class is going to be 15 players or less. This could just be saving scholarships for transfer portal. 

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic