Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

I don't want Frost to fail either. Frost would definitely be my first choice to be the head coach however it's not working out. And I'm just being realistic here he's 10 games below 500. I have to be realistic and if Frost has lost the team and they come out and play the way they played against Minnesota than there's no longer a  reason to keep him here. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Great post and I could not agree more. We are the only program in the West that has won multiple national titles and can sell out games even in down years. We also should be able to offer more with NIL than other division foes.

Maybe pull a Bama, go after NFL guys....O'Brien is making 1.1 million.    

Eric Bieniemy making in the $2 million range

Tom Herman

Luke Fickle

I still like Jamey Chadwell

Like has been mentioned, there have been some great names thrown out.  Guys, IMHO, would give a real hard look for all of the reason mentioned throughout the multiple threads and posts.  We are naive to think "If not Frost who" or that no one would want to come here.....The advantage of a NFL guy or coordinator somewhere is they would most likely out together a staff based on potential success, not friendships and loyalty to guys currently on their staff.  Not saying a guy putting together a team wouldn't reach out to known entities, but Chadwell/Fickle/Napier (IMHO) would be more inclined to bring their staff.  And as I mentioned multiple times, I thought Chin and Co was the weak link....But not so much after the past 2 seasons.  Maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion if NU said we want you and coach(es) "X", but not your whole staff...ie leave the O guys.  But that's just me.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

I still can't believe how many one score games we've lost.  That's got to be up there near the all time and with such a short tenure of being a head coach just seems so unfair and crazy that those close losses keep lingering around like a nightmare that we can't wake up from.

Out of 869 coaches throughout history that have played/lost 10+ one score games, Frost ranks or ranked 841st after Michigan....It is a painful read.

https://arbitraryanalytics.com/2021/09/30/close-but-no-cigar/

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Maybe pull a Bama, go after NFL guys....O'Brien is making 1.1 million.    

Eric Bieniemy making in the $2 million range

Tom Herman

Luke Fickle

I still like Jamey Chadwell

Like has been mentioned, there have been some great names thrown out.  Guys, IMHO, would give a real hard look for all of the reason mentioned throughout the multiple threads and posts.  We are naive to think "If not Frost who" or that no one would want to come here.....The advantage of a NFL guy or coordinator somewhere is they would most likely out together a staff based on potential success, not friendships and loyalty to guys currently on their staff.  Not saying a guy putting together a team wouldn't reach out to known entities, but Chadwell/Fickle/Napier (IMHO) would be more inclined to bring their staff.  And as I mentioned multiple times, I thought Chin and Co was the weak link....But not so much after the past 2 seasons.  Maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion if NU said we want you and coach(es) "X", but not your whole staff...ie leave the O guys.  But that's just me.

I like most of the names you through out but as I shared earlier, I like the idea of going hard after Campbell or Kiffin first.  Both have proven P5 experience.  O'Brien and Herman would also offer that though Herman did not meet expectations at Texas (but his results are way better than Frost has been thus far).  If we are to go with a non-P5 candidate, Fickle would be good but I like Napier better than Chaldwell.  Those 2 teams will likely meet in the CCG.  

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Out of 869 coaches throughout history that have played/lost 10+ one score games, Frost ranks or ranked 841st after Michigan....It is a painful read.

https://arbitraryanalytics.com/2021/09/30/close-but-no-cigar/

Wow thank you for sharing this.  Once again the data cannot be refuted.  If the trend continues and Nebraska does not win at least 3 of its final 4, it's going to be hard for Trev to ignore the data unless he lets his emotions get in the way.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I like most of the names you through out but as I shared earlier, I like the idea of going hard after Campbell or Kiffin first.  Both have proven P5 experience.  O'Brien and Herman would also offer that though Herman did not meet expectations at Texas (but his results are way better than Frost has been thus far).  If we are to go with a non-P5 candidate, Fickle would be good but I like Napier better than Chaldwell.  Those 2 teams will likely meet in the CCG.  

Can't disagree with you at all.  I haven't really seen any names where I have been "no way". And I think all of them would consider an offer.  I am biased, but do not see what are the negatives that can't be overcome....

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Wow thank you for sharing this.  Once again the data cannot be refuted.  If the trend continues and Nebraska does not win at least 3 of its final 4, it's going to be hard for Trev to ignore the data unless he lets his emotions get in the way.  

No worries.  That's what is so hard. I wanted and still want Frost to succeed, but you see the "peer to peer" review and the "one point loss" and as of today are 111th in red zone scoring, it is really hard to find any analytical/empirical data that shows he can turn it around.  Looking purely at the numbers, we really struggle.

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Why would Lane Kiffin leave Ole Miss for Nebraska?

Fickell is also out of the question 

Campbell? Doubtful, but make him say no.

My Top 3 are still Chadwell, Petersen, Calhoun

Jeff Traylor has intrigued me also... 8-0 at UTSA

Perhaps his ties to Nebraska are not important, but he is one of the only P5 coaches I know of that was born in Lincoln.  And as I shared earlier, navigating the BIG West is way easier than either SEC division.  He would have an easier route to CFP possibilities at Nebraska than Ole Miss. He actually took over for a predecessor who was 15-21 over 3 years (where Frosts predecessor was 19-19) and has Ole Miss looking strong in his 2nd season.

I agree Fickle is unlikely as he seems to want to stay near Ohio. I am open to some of your other names too...all would be an improvement from where we are.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, IUHusker said:

1. Greg Schiano

2. Jim Leonhard

3. Bill O‘Brien 

Offer them each $8M/year starting with Schiano.  Can Nebraska afford to let Frost go and do that?  

No on Schiano. Leonhard would be difficult to get out of Wisconsin as he may well be the next head coach in waiting there as a former alum. Plus $8 million is crazy for him. O’Brien is the most realistic and I would say should be on the interview list. I’d need to be sold on him more.

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic