Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

11 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Perhaps his ties to Nebraska are not important, but he is one of the only P5 coaches I know of that was born in Lincoln.  And as I shared earlier, navigating the BIG West is way easier than either SEC division.  He would have an easier route to CFP possibilities at Nebraska than Ole Miss. He actually took over for a predecessor who was 15-21 over 3 years (where Frosts predecessor was 19-19) and has Ole Miss looking strong in his 2nd season.

I agree Fickle is unlikely as he seems to want to stay near Ohio. I am open to some of your other names too...all would be an improvement from where we are.

Nebraska being in the West cannot be understated. A competent coach/staff would have this team in the top 15 and well in the thick of a division title. Honestly, if we were coached well we absolutely have the talent to beat everyone on in the West but here we are. Had Frost been better at his job and done this, he'd be looking at another extension imo. The next coach that wins the West will get paid handsomely because the program is so starved for that type of success.

We can say this or that coach won't come to Nebraska but I have yet to see Nebraska put together an aggressive deal; I don't consider Frost's initial deal one because they spread money out over several years. If the brass offers north of what Frost is making believe there will be quality coaches that would seriously listen.

About the division, a coach should look at the situation and feel pretty good about their prospects. Iowa, for as good as a season they are having, is benefiting from a soft schedule and hasn't proven they can put together back to back division winning seasons. Northwestern will always have to deal with academic restrictions that will limit their talent pool. Illinois will be up and down but steady. Minnesota will have to replace a lot after this year and I personally haven't been moved by Fleck's recruiting. Wisconsin, by virtue of their style, has a hard ceiling. They continue to struggle signing difference makers at skill positions (WR and QB - Mertz was gift which of it doesn't go well they can forget signing someone of his caliber out of HS while Chryst is there again) as well as defensive back. For as much as they've done, they are getting close to being "if they haven't done it by now, when are they going to"; They have a couple of more years imo.

Nebraska is still good job, not to be mistaken for a great job. There is not a team on our side of the ledger with the resources, fan support, right mixture of academics, media pull(Though they make fun of us they still bother to check for us and are waiting for us to be good again). Can't say none of this for any other program in the West. It's just sad Frost has fumbled this so badly.

Sorry if TLDR...

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, lo country said:

So I am watching NC State vs Miami.  Hit up their page to see how Tim Beck is doing.....Dude has put together a legit resume.  I can't believe how well his offense was (statistics) while at NU.  Not a fan at the time, but in hindsight......

The best I've ever seen the NU offense for 4 quarters in the past decade was the 2014 Holiday Bowl against USC that Tim Beck called.  Beck was masterful that game.

11 hours ago, lo country said:
11 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

No worries.  That's what is so hard. I wanted and still want Frost to succeed, but you see the "peer to peer" review and the "one point loss" and as of today are 111th in red zone scoring, it is really hard to find any analytical/empirical data that shows he can turn it around.  Looking purely at the numbers, we really struggle.

If one removes the emotions, the decision becomes obvious. Even if we take away the fact that of our ”this close and almost there “ moral victories which point to progress , the other numbers scream out louder that this isn’t working 

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

The best I've ever seen the NU offense for 4 quarters in the past decade was the 2014 Holiday Bowl against USC that Tim Beck called.  Beck was masterful that game.

I look at his statistics while at NU and our offense was stout in production, records etc.....And it translated into 9/10 win seasons....We have great stats between the 20's now, but hasn't correlated into wins.  I know the admn did not like Bo, but losing Sanders and Carl hurt IMO. Much like Frost, just an inexperienced staff.  That took over after Cally and had to recruit different players and change the culture......but he still got the wins......

Snipe Riley from OU! #3 team in the country and he benches his Heismann candidate in order to put his team in a position to win. Frost would be incapable to taking such risks to attempt to right the boat. That said, his players are "Warriors", they are "just a few plays away", they "practiced hard this week", are very close to "being over the hump". Oh yea, we are "going to change the way the Big 10 plays". I was glad when he went to Nebraska to help lift the program and the B1G, but has fallen to pretty much be a disgrace. Pull the band aid off so that the program can get better.

Who in the world would have guessed 2 years ago that Frost would be 1-4 this year and the first year Illinois coach Bielema would be 2-3 with a wins against Nebraska and Penn State. Beliema has the same players, he just coached them into believing they can win instead of celebrating moral victories and close games.

Hell, the league should take some of their TV dollars and help buy Frost out of his contract just to make a better B1G.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What do you think Frost record would be if he was at OU? I am guessing it would look pretty similar to when Frost is at UCF. Bottom line is Frost does not have the horses here to run his offense. You need to win in order to get the type of players needed to run Frost offense at a high success rate. 

If I was Frost I would find about four plays or so we run really well and  run them at a high success rate. I would much rather lose doing something we do really well then lose trying to be a team that we are not

11 hours ago, chamrocck said:

No on Schiano. Leonhard would be difficult to get out of Wisconsin as he may well be the next head coach in waiting there as a former alum. Plus $8 million is crazy for him. O’Brien is the most realistic and I would say should be on the interview list. I’d need to be sold on him more.

O'Brien will land an SEC job.

14 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Snipe Riley from OU! #3 team in the country and he benches his Heismann candidate in order to put his team in a position to win. Frost would be incapable to taking such risks to attempt to right the boat. That said, his players are "Warriors", they are "just a few plays away", they "practiced hard this week", are very close to "being over the hump". Oh yea, we are "going to change the way the Big 10 plays". I was glad when he went to Nebraska to help lift the program and the B1G, but has fallen to pretty much be a disgrace. Pull the band aid off so that the program can get better.

Who in the world would have guessed 2 years ago that Frost would be 1-4 this year and the first year Illinois coach Bielema would be 2-3 with a wins against Nebraska and Penn State. Beliema has the same players, he just coached them into believing they can win instead of celebrating moral victories and close games.

Hell, the league should take some of their TV dollars and help buy Frost out of his contract just to make a better B1G.  

LSU will be pursuing Riley. Again, he's a coach who can pick and choose where he wants to go. No way would he come to a lesser job at Nebraska, knowing of all the disadvantages here.

9 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Nebraska being in the West cannot be understated. A competent coach/staff would have this team in the top 15 and well in the thick of a division title. Honestly, if we were coached well we absolutely have the talent to beat everyone on in the West but here we are. Had Frost been better at his job and done this, he'd be looking at another extension imo. The next coach that wins the West will get paid handsomely because the program is so starved for that type of success.

We can say this or that coach won't come to Nebraska but I have yet to see Nebraska put together an aggressive deal; I don't consider Frost's initial deal one because they spread money out over several years. If the brass offers north of what Frost is making believe there will be quality coaches that would seriously listen.

About the division, a coach should look at the situation and feel pretty good about their prospects. Iowa, for as good as a season they are having, is benefiting from a soft schedule and hasn't proven they can put together back to back division winning seasons. Northwestern will always have to deal with academic restrictions that will limit their talent pool. Illinois will be up and down but steady. Minnesota will have to replace a lot after this year and I personally haven't been moved by Fleck's recruiting. Wisconsin, by virtue of their style, has a hard ceiling. They continue to struggle signing difference makers at skill positions (WR and QB - Mertz was gift which of it doesn't go well they can forget signing someone of his caliber out of HS while Chryst is there again) as well as defensive back. For as much as they've done, they are getting close to being "if they haven't done it by now, when are they going to"; They have a couple of more years imo.

Nebraska is still good job, not to be mistaken for a great job. There is not a team on our side of the ledger with the resources, fan support, right mixture of academics, media pull(Though they make fun of us they still bother to check for us and are waiting for us to be good again). Can't say none of this for any other program in the West. It's just sad Frost has fumbled this so badly.

Sorry if TLDR...

I think we are all saddened that Frost has not been able to do the job as we all believed in him when he started.  It frankly shocks me that we are paying for the 17th highest coaching salary in the country yet the results do not show.  Meanwhile, Brian Kelly, Mike Locksley and Jonathan Smith are 60 to 62, respectively, and have their teams playing decent.  Oregon State is actually tied for first in the Pac 12 North at the moment.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think we are all saddened that Frost has not been able to do the job as we all believed in him when he started.  It frankly shocks me that we are paying for the 17th highest coaching salary in the country yet the results do not show.  Meanwhile, Brian Kelly, Mike Locksley and Jonathan Smith are 60 to 62, respectively, and have their teams playing decent.  Oregon State is actually tied for first in the Pac 12 North at the moment.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

I know, for me, it's not so much the ROI on Frost but what we'd need to pay to attract a quality coach. Mainly because his and his predecessor's shortcomings. I had no idea Kelly was making as much as he is but unlike Nebraska, Notre Dame has the leverage we don't. If for whatever reason Notre Dame and Kelly decided to part ways, there'd be no shortage of very good to elite candidates lining up to interview. The other two are at places that don't have the expectations that come with being the head coach at Nebraska. I feel if Nebraska were to offer in the area of Patterson's salary we'd get someone that could get the job done.

Bo will never go down as one of the top (insert number here) coaches in CFB history.  He did manage to get us 9-10 wins per year.  Took over for a poor performing coach, with players who had quit and change culture.  Then go into a new conference where everyone was after us after playing the final year in the Big XII where everyone including the refs were out to get us.  And still got the 9-10 wins.....I'd like to think that had he been better supported, he might have had more success here.  Surely we can find a guy with at least Bo's coaching acumen and with the support and resources can make a go of things here.....As much as I and every poster want Frost to succeed, I sadly do not see it.  Maybe he rallies the players, the US vs the WORLD mentality and they go down swinging and get us bowling.  That's be phenomenal.  And a sign that maybe he can turn things around.  But barring that, I am unsure how Trev would allow the status quo to continue.

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic