Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honest question for everybody: when you assess the performance of the UNL Athletic Director, do you factor in the success of Women's Volleyball and Men's Baseball, or the historically poor performance of Men's Basketball?  Or is his job totally reliant on the football coach? 

While I think the performance of other programs is important, at traditional football schools like Nebraska, it all comes down to the football program.  In the case of volleyball, Cook has been there for 2 decades, so all a new AD needs to do is ensure they don't screw it up. But football historically brings in the most revenue and publicity to programs which is why it gets the greatest scrutiny.  That is just my opinion but others may differ.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness, Scott Frost benefitted from hugely reduced expectations. Pelini was expected to turn things around immediately from Callahan, and he did. But 9-4 didn't meet expectations. Mike Riley was expected to turn things around immediately from Pelini, and he didn't. Riley didn't get a pass for close losses his first season, got maybe one pass for turning in a Bo like second season in 2016, and was a dead man walking after losing to Northern Illinois in the third game of his third season.

Scott Frost came in and took Nebraska to an 0-6 start, worst in program history. But when that same team finished 4-2, I felt really good about Nebraska's future under Frost, despite the 4-8 record. Husker Nation was in a forgiving mood and surely we were turning the corner

I guess that's where the pressure started. 

I fully agree with this statement.  Had Frost come in directly after Pelini and had these results, he would already be gone.  With that said, Riley lowered the bar from the Pelini years, and Frost seems to be getting the benefit of the doubt from those lowered program expectations.  Frost also is getting a bit of the favorite treatment with his former ties to the university, and my guess is that if we had hired Tom Herman in 2018 and he had the record that Frost has, he likely would be a dead man walking at this point.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yep, they wanted to get him out before he saved his job. CFB is bizarre. If Frost does get a 5th year, Nebraska will appear to have monk like patience.

Especially if Ohio State comes in to Lincoln and beats us like they beat Indiana, which, to me, is a real possibility. And then we lay another egg in Camp Randall? I don't know if Frost survives that. MAYBE if we finally beat iowa, all would be forgiven. 

I'm going to keep beating the Monken/Calhoun drum, though. We aren't winning big again until we establish an identity as a top-5 rushing offense. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I'm going to keep beating the Monken/Calhoun drum, though. We aren't winning big again until we establish an identity as a top-5 rushing offense. 

I'm thinking coaching at a military school like Army and Air Force,  discipline is a very high value.  Something that has been somewhat lacking here.  We have been a very undisciplined team.  

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Especially if Ohio State comes in to Lincoln and beats us like they beat Indiana, which, to me, is a real possibility. And then we lay another egg in Camp Randall? I don't know if Frost survives that. MAYBE if we finally beat iowa, all would be forgiven. 

I agree we need an identity.  There’s a lot of good football players out there. There’s got to be a reason for them to come to Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

While I think the performance of other programs is important, at traditional football schools like Nebraska, it all comes down to the football program.  In the case of volleyball, Cook has been there for 2 decades, so all a new AD needs to do is ensure they don't screw it up. But football historically brings in the most revenue and publicity to programs which is why it gets the greatest scrutiny.  That is just my opinion but others may differ.

Of course we need football to drive the engine, but as a transplanted Husker it's been interesting watching things change. I see high school girls here in Northern California wearing Nebraska swag because they play volleyball, and Nebraska is their New York Yankees or Dallas Cowboys.  I was talking with a bigwig corporate executive recently, and when he found out I'd gone to Nebraska, he wanted to talk volleyball because his daughter played volleyball and was being recruited: "she's really good," he told me. "Nowhere near good enough for Nebraska, but hopefully a smaller school scholarship." 

That ain't nothing. 

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Look, Frost isn't getting it done, but no you absolutely cannot say the same thing about any of those coaches.

I'm not making excuses for Frost. It's the job, he isn't getting it done, period. But that context is real whether people are happy with it or not.

Didn’t Pelini lose his dad a few weeks before the 08’ Gator Bowl? 

57 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

Seems like a great time. Talent is decent. Bar has been lowered. Next year's schedule is better. Seems like the prime time to be a new coach here.

Exactly.  It's always easier to be viewed as a "success" when the program you are taking over is at such a low point.  It could really be a great opportunity for a coach to come in and save the day.

4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Exactly.  It's always easier to be viewed as a "success" when the program you are taking over is at such a low point.  It could really be a great opportunity for a coach to come in and save the day.

Not only that but we would be a helluva lot more appreciative of a coach that can come in and get us back to being respectable. Consistent bowl berths etc. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

if Frost loses the last 4 games, who would take his job?

program is on the brink of disaster.

We aren't on the brink of disaster in any way shape or form.  We have a ton of young talent coming up, a bit easier schedule next year, and extremely low expectations.  It isn't often a coach will get to take over in a situation like Nebraska has where the fan base would be happy just making a bowl game.  Plenty of big names would be interested if the money were right.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

We aren't on the brink of disaster in any way shape or form.  We have a ton of young talent coming up, a bit easier schedule next year, and extremely low expectations.  It isn't often a coach will get to take over in a situation like Nebraska has where the fan base would be happy just making a bowl game.  Plenty of big names would be interested if the money were right.  

Yep, next year honestly sets up perfect for the year 1 of a new staff. Get to 6+ wins year 1 hopefully and build on it. Would do wonders for recruiting etc. 

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic