Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

7 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Both Calhoun & Monken intrigue me. They have done well at service academies without a wealth of talent. And they are certainly well versed in running the ball which would make a lot of people happy and be a fit for the B1G.

Exactly. 

Now, would there be a mass exodus of receivers? Probably, but that's a smaller price to pay. Frost himself couldn't keep some of his better receivers with this offense. I think  the flexbone fits right in our recruiting wheelhouse; offensive linemen, running backs, and a few tight ends. We wouldn't be worrying about who's winning the Elite 11 camps and whatnot. We're not wasting time recruiting against Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan for the highest rated recruits in those states. No WAY are we beating the Buckeyes for a 4 or 5 star guy in Ohio. 

But with the flexbone? We get OUR kind of guys. We'd be different. FINALLY, an identity. Hard to prepare for; unique. A proud  RUNNING team once again. 

Are there disadvantages? Sure, but I GUARANTEE you that we're bowling this year if Scott was a Flexbone guy, if not maybe competing for the West. Think about it; Adrian, Yant (perfect B-back), Rahmir, and Stepp/Sevion all in the backfield at once? Yes, please! Adrian wouldn't be throwing 4 picks, because we wouldn't be throwing much. His reads would be WAY easier, because he'd just be lobbing balls downfield after play-action every now and then. 

But I digress. I could go on and on about why we need this brand of football, but unfortunately, we're just going to keep pounding the same square peg into the same round hole. Doesn't matter who the coach is (outside of Urban Meyer), we're NEVER getting All-American QB's and receivers in Lincoln. Didn't happen in the glory days, ain't gonna happen now.

Osborne knew it, and committed to the run, recruited the REAL athletes for defense. I don't get how nobody making millions in Lincoln can't see this.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Exactly. 

Now, would there be a mass exodus of receivers? Probably, but that's a smaller price to pay. Frost himself couldn't keep some of his better receivers with this offense. I think  the flexbone fits right in our recruiting wheelhouse; offensive linemen, running backs, and a few tight ends. We wouldn't be worrying about who's winning the Elite 11 camps and whatnot. We're not wasting time recruiting against Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan for the highest rated recruits in those states. No WAY are we beating the Buckeyes for a 4 or 5 star guy in Ohio. 

But with the flexbone? We get OUR kind of guys. We'd be different. FINALLY, an identity. Hard to prepare for; unique. A proud  RUNNING team once again. 

Are there disadvantages? Sure, but I GUARANTEE you that we're bowling this year if Scott was a Flexbone guy, if not maybe competing for the West. Think about it; Adrian, Yant (perfect B-back), Rahmir, and Stepp/Sevion all in the backfield at once? Yes, please! Adrian wouldn't be throwing 4 picks, because we wouldn't be throwing much. His reads would be WAY easier, because he'd just be lobbing balls downfield after play-action every now and then. 

But I digress. I could go on and on about why we need this brand of football, but unfortunately, we're just going to keep pounding the same square peg into the same round hole. Doesn't matter who the coach is (outside of Urban Meyer), we're NEVER getting All-American QB's and receivers in Lincoln. Didn't happen in the glory days, ain't gonna happen now.

Osborne knew it, and committed to the run, recruited the REAL athletes for defense. I don't get how nobody making millions in Lincoln can't see this.  

I like the way you think. But what is this identity you speak of? Something I haven't been familiar for about 2 decades or so. Actually we do have an identity. Finding ways to lose just about every week.

I've heard Monken has indicated he runs the triple option because he is at a service academy but if he were at a regular school while he would keep elements of the option he would also incorporate a more modern offense. But would have to believe it would still be a power based game.

But I agree entirely about competing with OSU, PSU, Mich etc. for the elite players needed to run an offense like HCSF runs. I don't see us ever competing and constantly winning recruiting battles with them or most of the other P5 schools that will be going after them.

• Plus1 1

Chadwell very well may be a great P5 coach somebody, but you aren't letting go of Frost to find that out. 

It's gotta be a proven guy or stay with what we have. Chris Peterson would be the move, but he isn't likely to come back. This went just about as bad as it could. 

Otherwise, it's gotta be Campbell. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Chadwell very well may be a great P5 coach somebody, but you aren't letting go of Frost to find that out. 

It's gotta be a proven guy or stay with what we have. Chris Peterson would be the move, but he isn't likely to come back. This went just about as bad as it could. 

Absolutely agree that it has to be for a proven P5 head coach otherwise keep Frost for one more year to keep looking for that right hire. 

1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

We wouldn't be letting go of anything really, Frost is hardly the "bird in the hand" winning coaches like Bo or Solich were. Those guys ya you better have a homerun hire lined-up(which we obviously didn't). We should certainly make a run at a proven P5 coach and I do think we have a real chance. Bill O'Brien, Dave Clawson, or (controversial pick) Hugh Freeze would likely at least consider us. Maybe Dave Aranda would listen. But I can't see having a "proven P5 HC or bust" mentality when you're a(estimating) 4-8 team, the regime has had four losing seasons in a row, and recruiting is absolutely in the toilet. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and our losing has killed it. A top G5 HC that's won consistently ala a Billy Napier or an elite coordinator ala Dan Lanning would be an acceptable hire. 

4 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I’m done with UCF coaches.

Let's not fall I to the trap of "the next guy has to be different than this guy".  It's like saying we shouldn't hire a coach with red hair.  The red hair worked for Osborne, but not for Frost.  It's irrelevant.     Hire the guy who is the best fit for the position.   Even if you can think of some irrelevant way he's similar to the current failure. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, gorp512 said:

It's gotta be a proven guy or stay with what we have.

Nope.  Fire Frost first and foremost, based on how he's tanked the program.  Then go get the best coach you can.  Firing Frost has nothing to do with who the next coach will be, and everything to do with his own job performance. 

Just because Frost failed as a up-and-comer doesn't mean every up-and-comer fails.  Every proven P5 coach was once an up-and-comer.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nope.  Fire Frost first and foremost, based on how he's tanked the program.  Then go get the best coach you can.  Firing Frost has nothing to do with who the next coach will be, and everything to do with his own job performance. 

Just because Frost failed as a up and comer doesn't mean every up and comer fails.  Every proven P5 coach was once an up and comer.

I agree with that, however Nebraska has been down for 20 years. I/we do not have the luxury of rolling the dice anymore. We need a sure thing, that to me is a someone that is a program building and program sustaining coach. I think Campbell fits that mold. He has certainly done more with less and arguably the cupboard at Nebraska is much more stocked than it is at ISU. Now weather or not those are his type or style of players who knows but a coach should not have to have his players in place to win. A coach that is worth his salt should be able  to get the most out of his team regardless of the star or recruiting class ranking. 

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic