Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

7 hours ago, OreGUNHusker said:

BTW… JoJo is a Mike Riley recruit.. it seems like Scotts best year was a 5 win season? against weakest schedule possible.. and still no bowl game ( insert mediocrity here ).. Vedral is a Husker legacy.. and xfered ( optics are bad ) he beat Illinois today.. 

Vedral going to Rutgers and beating teams that you fail to beat seems like the ultimate indictment on Frost. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, OreGUNHusker said:

Mike Stoops, Mike Leach, Dana Holgerson…

Cale Gundy, Alex Grinch

No offense, but no thanks to any of those. 

Maybe Leach. No matter what, he would at least keep things interesting in Lincoln. 

I don't know why anyone would want Grinch. Oklahoma's defense is nothing special. No way are we firing Frost only to hire anyone with no head coaching experience. 

Holgerson would face the same recruiting issues that Frost is dealing with. He's a wild card, would probably stay a year, and take off for another P5 job in the night. 

Nebraska is never getting back until we get a guy that can coach a running game. 

I’m really struggling with this argument of staying with Frost unless we have a proven guy. It’s the equivalent of advocating someone stay in a bad relationship with their high school sweetheart because the history justifies the past 4 years. Frost is great guy, but a poor football coach. I don’t need another year of this to know a coach with any competency gets us to 6 wins this year.

I have no coach on my list.  I'm more gun shy to suggest one.  Plus, I just believe that Frost and company think we are still just 1-2 players away from being great.  Although he has no answers ... I think he keeps putting the square pieces in the round holes and in pride will say, "we are gonna get this fixed".  In that, I think he will get all the way through next season.  I'll be curious to see if the fans will stop buying the tickets to voice their displeasure of him staying around.

Next season would be a perfect season for a new coach to come and get a bounce up with a favorable schedule.  Sadly, I think it will be the lowest part of the Frost era and the needed "rock bottom" for Husker Nation and Scott Frost.  Thus, ya, I don't believe we have hit bottom yet, at least not enough to pull the trigger.  There is a certain part of "lowness" that one has to hit to venture into a 12 Step room.  It's very humbling.  Scott is not there, nor is Trev.  As Trev said, you can't make an evaluation after just 1-2 games.  His view is more than puzzling to characterize the first eight [8] games as just 1-2 games in ... and speaks volumes in his measure of leniency and rope he is willing to give Scott to "get this thing fixed".  Trev was extending the leash for Scott to get in this Purdue week and show Husker Nation the "improved play".  Now, he/they will retool and resell the vision to get through the season.  I don't see either pulling the plug.  It will have to be "the people" who will have the balls and show it with pocket book and emotional support [as I see it].  

No, we wont get Harsin unless we play out Scots 3 years and hope Harsin doesn't get a extension. 

Anyway, the most likely candidate that I think we could get that would make a impact would be Campbell. I think recruiting would improve with the new facilities and Campbell being "young" one of the bases Nebraska needs to be looking to cover in the next HC is longevity, and we need to decide what that looks like in the terms of what a successful season looks like in order to know if we are improving. Our expectations vs reality need to be realigned.

So, I know a 3-9 win season is not acceptable or  successful by anyone's standards, but what will be considered successful in year one of the new coach 6-6? in years 1&2 then in year 3 move up to 8 wins and by year 4 we have a 9 win expectation that needs to be met maintained moving forward or what will be allowed by the fan base to be considered acceptable? I myself am not interested in 9 win seasons. I know where this program should be and it is not 2nd place to anyone. 

anyway....

27 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Campbell and Fickell will be able to pick and choose where they want to go. It won't be Nebraska.

Chadwell should be #1 priority. There aren't too many places that would embrace the option offense that he runs, but Nebraska is the #1 place that would.

Will the option work in the B1G with faster and more athletic defenses?  That is my main concern. We don’t want to limit the playbook where by we become so one dimensional that we can’t pass effectively 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Will the option work in the B1G with faster and more athletic defenses?  That is my main concern. We don’t want to limit the playbook where by we become so one dimensional that we can’t pass effectively 

I think it would. It's a very difficult scheme to defend because no one else runs it. I mean he was able to get Coastal Carolina into the Top 20 with it. Let me repeat that. COASTAL. CAROLINA. Not to mention with that offense they'd be recruiting guys that many other schools wouldn't. It would make Nebraska a destination for kids who run similar offenses in HS, and would would help alleviate our recruiting disadvantages.

Passing plays a significant role in the offense. Last year, their QB for the season was 172/250 for 2488 yards. So far this year he's 116/158 for 2063 yards. They pass quite a bit.

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic