Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

New coach or not, I don’t see how there is any faith in this program to have the expectations of a winning season next year. Do we play Purdue, Illinois, northwestern, wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa next year? Sure as hell we do, but we lose to all those teams consistently, with the exception of 50/50 with northwestern.

just our division alone plus Oklahoma we very well could have 6 loses. 6-6 with a bowl game? 

That's why I would prefer to have next season under a new head coach. A 6-6 season with a bowl game under a new coach making changes would be a lot more palatable than it would in the 5th year of Frost. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's why I would prefer to have next season under a new head coach. A 6-6 season with a bowl game under a new coach making changes would be a lot more palatable than it would in the 5th year of Frost. 

But does it end up being fools gold? Mike Riley had one good looking year sandwiched between two bad years.

3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

New coach or not, I don’t see how there is any faith in this program to have the expectations of a winning season next year. Do we play Purdue, Illinois, northwestern, wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa next year? Sure as hell we do, but we lose to all those teams consistently, with the exception of 50/50 with northwestern.

just our division alone plus Oklahoma we very well could have 6 loses. 6-6 with a bowl game? 

MSU has less talent than us AND plays in a harder division.

They hired an excellent coach and they've subsequently gone 2-5 (COVID season) and 8-1 (so far).

It's not apples to apples because taking over a program in the COVID season is such a unique undertaking, but he's got one loss in his second year of a team with less talent and playing a harder division.

No reason we couldn't or shouldn't have a winning record next year with a new coach. Gotta find the right one.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus 6-6 under Frost in his 5th season with likely a retooled staff just makes his ceiling seem so limited.

It would be like admitting we're officially a AAA baseball team type of program now or something.

If he sticks around, I think it's more than fair to set the bar at something like 8-4 at a minimum. If we're so damn close that ought to be easy with the right changes, right?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, that's possible, but that would be year 1 of a coach in the program, not year 5.

I also have more faith in Alberts in attracting and hiring a better head coach than Riley or Frost. 

At the time Frost was the hottest coach on the market. It was an incredible hire by Moos to get him and on paper and at the time it seemed Frost was everything we needed.

It hasn’t worked out, just a reminder that we really have no idea how any of this actually works out.

23 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If we can't find an offensive line and better QB play none of this matters. 

Just hope that Teddy is the stud he appears to be. Then maybe Corcoran can move to guard and upgrade two positions at once. Jurgens is playing well. Nouilli has a high ceiling. Throw the rest of the o-line in at RT and surely can find somebody better than Benhart…

Given Frost's history, im worried that if we keep him next year, he manages to squeak out and get to a bowl game due to an "easier" schedule. This allows him to come back in 2023 with a harder schedule and we see similar outcomes to this year leading to him being fired. That puts us two years behind. I think you give a new coach a shot this year and they can come into the "easier" schedule to get on the right foot and move forward with their own style/methods. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Plus 6-6 under Frost in his 5th season with likely a retooled staff just makes his ceiling seem so limited.

It would be like admitting we're officially a AAA baseball team type of program now or something.

If he sticks around, I think it's more than fair to set the bar at something like 8-4 at a minimum. If we're so damn close that ought to be easy with the right changes, right?

I don’t see it being too lofty of expectations to expect our 5th year coach to go 8-4, but at the same time take a look at our division and see the disparity between us and them and ask ourselves if we really make up the gap?

Illinois: bad team, but in year 1 Bielema already has them playing decent, they beat us, no reason to think they get worse in Bielema’s second year.

Minnesota: They completely overpower us. RTB and all, solid team and program that does what they want against us.

Iowa: been 7 years since we’ve beaten them.

wisconsin: one win against them since joining the Big Ten.

Purdue: trending upward, good coach in place, beat us this year and seems to always beat us. Don’t see how the hiccup and we overtake them.

We talk about “the curse” from firing solich…. Yet everyone’s still so trigger happy to fire frost. Literally everyone nationally said “give him time” it will take an overhaul.  It’s year 4…. We are 3-7 yes….. but we are competitive…. The team has fight…. Are we making dumb decisions??? Yes.  Are some of them learning curves and experiences? Yes.  

i feel frost will get another season with a new rb/ol/and qb coach.  Give him support guys. 

• Plus1 4

14 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I don't know which thread I put it in, but I said 7-5 next year should be 7-5 and after typing it out it made me sad.  I'd say 8-4 would be a good minimum because that means he got "over" the bar I laid out which could lead to some optimism.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

We talk about “the curse” from firing solich…. Yet everyone’s still so trigger happy to fire frost. Literally everyone nationally said “give him time” it will take an overhaul.  It’s year 4…. We are 3-7 yes….. but we are competitive…. The team has fight…. Are we making dumb decisions??? Yes.  Are some of them learning curves and experiences? Yes.  

i feel frost will get another season with a new rb/ol/and qb coach.  Give him support guys. 

The competing and keeping things close is the biggest argument to keep Frost. And also to reduce the constant turnover of coaches for us. But these one possession losses to Michigan,  9 pt loss to Ohio State were 14-30 point losses under Riley and Bo (when UM and OSU were good), and even Frost in his first 3 years.

But the repeated mistakes in yea 4. The lack of QB development in 4 years and still sticking with the QB that clearly isn’t getting better, the repeated losses to the Purdue’s and Illinois of the conference, and those teams turning things around in shorter spans are all reasons to see Frost may not be the guy and things may not get any better here.

Its a crappy situation Alberts is in, but that is why he gets paid a lot of money. 

5 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

I would feel different if NU were able to beat 2 of Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan State. Then I would accept being competitive with Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Michigan.

Why is Frost still on a learning curve in Year 4 at NU, and Year 6 of his coaching career?  Why should Frost get more time than anyone else in college football to overhaul a team? Good coaches get it done in 2-4 years. Why should we give Frost 5-6 years?  If the answer to these questions is because of his name and where he played college football, that's the wrong answer. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Farms said:

Just hope that Teddy is the stud he appears to be. Then maybe Corcoran can move to guard and upgrade two positions at once. Jurgens is playing well. Nouilli has a high ceiling. Throw the rest of the o-line in at RT and surely can find somebody better than Benhart…

you do realize teddy played this year and they moved corcoran (sp?) to benhart's spot? unfortunately teddy was injured in the michigan game. you saw what the line would look like with teddy playing.

4 minutes ago, Huskerchief said:

Given Frost's history, im worried that if we keep him next year, he manages to squeak out and get to a bowl game due to an "easier" schedule. This allows him to come back in 2023 with a harder schedule and we see similar outcomes to this year leading to him being fired. That puts us two years behind. I think you give a new coach a shot this year and they can come into the "easier" schedule to get on the right foot and move forward with their own style/methods. 

2023 will not be a harder schedule.  Assuming the staff gets some new, and hopefully better, faces it should be better than 2022.

NU switches Oklahoma for Colorado

And they get Mich, MSU, and Maryland as crossovers instead of Rutgers, Ind, Mich in 2022.

If the "new" coaches are truly upgrades, the 2023 schedule should not be considered daunting with the chance to work for another 12 months with the staff/players.

Of course, all of this hinges on Frost being back next year.

If Frost comes back, next year should be an easy litmus test if he deserves more chances.  2023, as it stands now, is not an intimidating schedule for a new coach.  It's pretty favorable in terms of B1G scheduling.

Hopefully the needed changes are made, OL makes some strides, and the Huskers finish with 10+ wins next year.

Hopefully....