Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Its a crappy situation Alberts is in, but that is why he gets paid a lot of money. 

I heard yesterday that Jim Pillen (NU Regent, also running for Nebraska governor) is pushing for Frost to stay. I know Regents like to throw their weight around, but I wish they would let the AD and University President do their jobs without interference. 

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

2023 will not be a harder schedule.  Assuming the staff gets some new, and hopefully better, faces it should be better than 2022.

NU switches Oklahoma for Colorado

And they get Mich, MSU, and Maryland as crossovers instead of Rutgers, Ind, Mich in 2022.

If the "new" coaches are truly upgrades, the 2023 schedule should not be considered daunting with the chance to work for another 12 months with the staff/players.

Of course, all of this hinges on Frost being back next year.

If Frost comes back, next year should be an easy litmus test if he deserves more chances.  2023, as it stands now, is not an intimidating schedule for a new coach.  It's pretty favorable in terms of B1G scheduling.

Hopefully the needed changes are made, OL makes some strides, and the Huskers finish with 10+ wins next year.

Hopefully....

Crossovers with 4-5 Rutgers, 2-7 Indiana, and 8-1 Michigan is better than crossovers with a 8-1 MSU, 8-1 Mich, and 5-4 Maryland. It will be easier that Oklahoma is off the schedule, but still more difficult than the 2022 schedule. The irony of talking about this though is that if you had an elite coach and a team you could rely on, you wouldn't need to worry about what the schedule looks like, you just go and get wins. But here we are... :( 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I heard yesterday that Jim Pillen (NU Regent, also running for Nebraska governor) is pushing for Frost to stay. I know Regents like to throw their weight around, but I wish they would let the AD and University President do their jobs without interference. 

Regents...of course. They'll also be the ones that will block(or at least make it difficult) for adequate spending for a proper coach and staff.

• Plus1 1

If Frost stays and next year is more of the same, you will start to see less butts in the seats.

That is a problem because it is really tough to get fans back once they leave.  Look at other teams in the conference that never sell out.  Indiana, PU, Illinois, Minny and so on, they would need a decade of amazing seasons to start getting consistent sellouts.  

I would hate to see Memorial stadium with 60K fans.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, funhusker said:

2023 will not be a harder schedule.  Assuming the staff gets some new, and hopefully better, faces it should be better than 2022.

NU switches Oklahoma for Colorado

And they get Mich, MSU, and Maryland as crossovers instead of Rutgers, Ind, Mich in 2022.

If the "new" coaches are truly upgrades, the 2023 schedule should not be considered daunting with the chance to work for another 12 months with the staff/players.

Of course, all of this hinges on Frost being back next year.

If Frost comes back, next year should be an easy litmus test if he deserves more chances.  2023, as it stands now, is not an intimidating schedule for a new coach.  It's pretty favorable in terms of B1G scheduling.

Hopefully the needed changes are made, OL makes some strides, and the Huskers finish with 10+ wins next year.

Hopefully....

The 2022 schedule is the easiest I have seen in over a decade.  It gets marginally more difficult in 2023 and then 2024 becomes one of the most difficult schedules with crossovers against Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State all in consecutive weeks.  The recruiting we are doing now is what will be needed by 2024 to prepare for that rough schedule and as of now the recruiting stinks.  If Frost stays the team is likely to get to a bowl in 2022 and 2023 simply because of the weak schedule, but then 2024 will arrive and we will be struggling mightily.  

The minimum number of wins in 2022 should be 8 as I do not believe it's asking too much for a 5th year coach to get 8 wins.  I honestly would expect a 5th year coach to be competing for the division title which would likely mean we need 9 or more wins in 2022.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, desertshox said:

you do realize teddy played this year and they moved corcoran (sp?) to benhart's spot? unfortunately teddy was injured in the michigan game. you saw what the line would look like with teddy playing.

Yea I realize that but I think ideally they’d like Corcoran at guard if they can find another tackle. But at worst if they move him to RT he’s probably less likely to be matched up against the opposing teams best lineman and won’t get ran around so much. My point was one really good player like Teddy can make a big difference because it may actually help you upgrade multiple positions.

• Plus1 1

There's reason to believe that with a new QB (transfer who's a passer first), and new O-Line, RB and ST coaches, NU could get over the hump and lets say win half of these close games against top 10 teams.  As well as not losing to the likes of IL, MN and PU.  

There's also reason to believe that what we've seen this season is pretty much what we're going to get going forward and a new staff should be brought in.

I can see both sides and IMO nobody is "wrong" in  wanting Trev to go one way or the other.  I do know that we are "close" and that "close" is this program's ceiling as it's put together now. 

If we play well, it will be a good, tough game against Wisky and we will beat Iowa.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Farms said:

Just hope that Teddy is the stud he appears to be. Then maybe Corcoran can move to guard and upgrade two positions at once. Jurgens is playing well. Nouilli has a high ceiling. Throw the rest of the o-line in at RT and surely can find somebody better than Benhart…

When do you think teddy is coming back? I doubt coming off a acl and mcl injury he'll be the same guy right away. Doubt he'll even be practicing for a while.

9 minutes ago, Fru said:

I saw this a while back, and was wondering how significant it is. On Trev's Twitter page, it says "Vice Chancellor, Director of Athletics." https://twitter.com/trevalberts?lang=en

Are AD's being a Vice Chancellor standard? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like that indicates Trev is truly in charge.

To either move on from Frost or not is a decision thats going to be made by Trev, Chancellor Green and President Carter.  

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think Frost will get fired this year, because his schedule is really easy next year. The easiest he's had by far. That will be his final season if he doesn't win at least 6 games IMO, but if they're "close" as he keeps saying, it should be an 8 win season at the very least.

Great reason to retain a failed staff.

And that "easy" schedule next year includes all of the usual B1G west suspects that have been kicking NU's a$$ the last 4 years. Plus, with the talent we are losing I see next year as another struggle to get to a bowl if Frost is retained.

7 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

When do you think teddy is coming back? I doubt coming off a acl and mcl injury he'll be the same guy right away. Doubt he'll even be practicing for a while.

I’d think he’d be back for fall camp at the latest. Not saying he’s the savior but he appears to be a real talent.

43 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

We talk about “the curse” from firing solich…. Yet everyone’s still so trigger happy to fire frost. Literally everyone nationally said “give him time” it will take an overhaul.  It’s year 4…. We are 3-7 yes….. but we are competitive…. The team has fight…. Are we making dumb decisions??? Yes.  Are some of them learning curves and experiences? Yes.  

i feel frost will get another season with a new rb/ol/and qb coach.  Give him support guys. 

The curse was firing 9 win coaches, not one that has never had a winning season and is about to go 3-9 in year 4. I will always support the team but that doesn't change the fact that I can tell this isn't working.

Hoping it will eventually work out and that they will learn how to coach in the Big Ten somehow is not a long term strategy.

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

There's reason to believe that with a new QB (transfer who's a passer first), and new O-Line, RB and ST coaches, NU could get over the hump and lets say win half of these close games against top 10 teams.  As well as not losing to the likes of IL, MN and PU.  

There's also reason to believe that what we've seen this season is pretty much what we're going to get going forward and a new staff should be brought in.

I can see both sides and IMO nobody is "wrong" in  wanting Trev to go one way or the other.  I do know that we are "close" and that "close" is this program's ceiling as it's put together now. 

If we play well, it will be a good, tough game against Wisky and we will beat Iowa.

Why do folks think there will be a new or transfer QB if Frost is kept? Martinez is most likely coming back if Scott does also. 

What will folks think if they voice support for Frost tomorrow, Adrian says he's coming back and no staff changes are planned? That scenario is starting to look pretty likely from where I sit.

I still can't believe this but if we lose to Wisconsin on the road and Iowa beats us by a FG as is tradition, we would be not only 3-9, but 1-8 against P5 teams. And folks are arguing that guy should be kept. Incredible. Even if we beat Iowa, that is 4-8 and 2-7 versus P5, no real difference. We aren't beating Wisconsin in Madison.

I think that Mike Leach thread got moved into this one? But I just saw a headline today on ESPN that shows Leach throwing out open try out invitation for kickers because MSU missed 3 FG's yesterday. This isn't the first time Leach has held open tryouts for his kickers, I think while he was at TTU they had kicking problems and he held try outs mid season and got some random student to start kicking kicks.

I appreciate moves like this. I mean c'mon, we have two awful kickers and they continually make the same mistakes over and over and are unreliable even for simple PAT's. Go do something about it. Either get strict about their practicing or go find a student who is willing to put in the time and effort to master their one skill. I know if I was a student at Nebraska and as a life long Cornhusker, as I am sure there are many students who are, I would gladly walk on and at least try to provide my services to the team, just to be on the team. If that meant kicking field goals for 4 hours a day every day, sure I'll do it to wear the N. 

• Plus1 1