Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

5 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I’m going to add another name that could sneak up, Mario Cristobal. He seems like a Big 10 fit. His offense is built around the offense line in which he takes pride. His teams are physical, he recruits well, he would run to set up the pass. Has a competitiveness swagger that we frankly need back.

Don’t overlook him. He remembers when we were good. I think he has more of an old school feel that fits the Big 10 and wanting to play OSU, Michigan, Penn State.

Why in the hell would he leave Oregon to come here?

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

This season Coastal has passed the ball 140 times for 290yds a game and ran it 237 times for 264yds a game. 

Army 39 passes 72yds per game and rushed 375 times for 295yds per game. 

Navy 51 passes 59yds per game and rushed 359 times for 215yds per game

Air Force 49 passes 79yds per game and rushed 462 times for 336yds per game

Do these offenses even seem remotely similar? 

I wasnt saying that it was  the same exact offense. I see where you thought that. My point was I just dont see that scheme working in the B1G

All you guys Bringing up Bill O'brian are killing me. lol. Being i live 10 minutes out side of Houston you can understand why. And if he did come here he would leave within 4 years for another job. He isnt the answer. 

Frost is the answer but he will continue to get it wrong until he gets quality B1G style coordinators. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, junior4949 said:

People need to get a grip.  Bob Stoops under no circumstances will ever be our coach.  He's 61 years old.  Financially, he's set for life.  Then, there's the little nugget where we fired one of his best friends.  Bob Stoops may very well coach again, but it will never be at Nebraska.  Chris Petersen resigned a couple of years ago.  He's a guy that I don't ever see coaching at this level again.  He may very well never coach at any level again.  Urban Meyer more than likely coaches at the collegiate level again.  It may be as early as next season.  However, it will never be at a school like Nebraska.  He wouldn't even take his dream job at Notre Dame when offered opting for Florida.  Why?  Zook was a horrible coach but a great recruiter.  Florida was absolutely stacked with talent, and this was before the SEC was the dominant conference.  He went to Ohio State when the B1G wasn't exactly dominant and Ohio State was absolutely stacked with talent.  If he coaches at the collegiate level next year, my money is on USC.  The Pac 12 is down.  They don't have any dominant coaches.  These are the opportunities he jumps at.  

If we're being honest with ourselves at this point in time, there's almost zero chance Trev's got his homerun hire in the bag.  He hasn't even been the AD all that long.  He might very well have a list or is composing a list right now, but this is as far as he could be.  I don't think there is any way he was hired with the expectation of replacing the head football coach in his first year as AD.  Unless Frost resigns, I can't imagine him not being here next year.  

Pretty much my take. I don't think it's very likely for us to land any of the folks I mentioned, but if you're Trev you absolutely need to see if you have a shot at them. If by some miracle you do, Frost needs to go this year. If you don't, I think he gets another year. 

1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

All you guys Bringing up Bill O'brian are killing me. lol. Being i live 10 minutes out side of Houston you can understand why. And if he did come here he would leave within 4 years for another job. He isnt the answer. 

Frost is the answer but he will continue to get it wrong until he gets quality B1G style coordinators. 

I'd say Chins currently fits that bill. Not sure what Lubik's role is. Definitely need a BIG style special teams coordinator.

9 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I’m going to add another name that could sneak up, Mario Cristobal. He seems like a Big 10 fit. His offense is built around the offense line in which he takes pride. His teams are physical, he recruits well, he would run to set up the pass. Has a competitiveness swagger that we frankly need back.

Don’t overlook him. He remembers when we were good. I think he has more of an old school feel that fits the Big 10 and wanting to play OSU, Michigan, Penn State.

I really appreciate your optimism chamrock.  I don't see a scenario where Cristobal's agent even returns Trev's phone call.  Maybe if Nebraska offered Saban-level money, even then I'd doubt it.

1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

Frost has had the ability to bring in any staff he wanted. I do not believe that money has been an issue related to assistant pay. With that said, why hasn't Frost brought in BIG coordinators in the 4 years he has been CEO of this program?  

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Frost has had the ability to bring in any staff he wanted. I do not believe that money has been an issue related to assistant pay. With that said, why hasn't Frost brought in BIG coordinators in the 4 years he has been CEO of this program?  

I cant answer why he hasn't. Maybe going into a new year Trev with convince him that's whats needed.

As far as our Defense call me crazy but i'm not completely upset with how they have played other then the 1st 2 games of the season.  Imagine how much better they could play if our offense held on to the ball a bit longer. 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The Head Coach has the opportunity to pick the team that best supports his efforts.  That team was chosen for their ability to work together, their loyalty and their complimentary talents.  At this stage, I am not in favor of Coach Frost removing assistants as a means of prolonging his tenure.  

This group of coaches should remain together and will get a 5th Year despite the poor results to date.  For a Head Coach who is struggling to remove a few assistants this season only to wrongly claim in Year 5 that poor performance is now the result of a new system is misguided.  

If he wanted to go a different direction, that should have been considered in Year 2 or Year 3 (at latest).  We are too far down the road for that to even enter the discussion.

21 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

I agree with you here. That Coastal offense isnt going to work against NFL caliber D-line and Lb's game in and game out. There is a reason its really only Army, Navy and Air Force that run the triple option offense of the past. Minnesota pretty my stifled our version of it. In the B1G it will work here and there. I do not see it working week in and week out. 

1) There is no proof whatsoever Chadwell's stuff wouldn't work in the B1G. Part of it is RPO, which Minnesota, Penn State, and a few others utilize to some degree of success. According to your logic, against all these NFL caliber defenders, nothing will work. Minnesota just went up and down the field with an average QB against us running some RPO. And we did run some option plays successfully against nearly every team we've played. Frost just doesn't call it often enough to get a real read on how effective it actually is as an offense. No play is going 20+ yards every time, and while the option does get stopped at times, it's still an effective play, and offense.

2)Army, Navy, and Air Force are almost always out-matched athletically, but somehow, they have winning records and make bowl games. They move the ball. They keep their defense fresh. They keep themselves in most games. A struggling, rebuilding Navy squad beat Malzahn's high-flying UCF Knights a couple weeks ago. Air Force just beat Boise State by a touchdown, the same Boise State that bested a previously undefeated BYU. In 2019, after Colorado beat us in overtime, Air Force beat them. Army marched (pun intended) into Camp Randall and fell by 6. They moved the ball on the Badgers, though out-sized and out-matched athletically. Imagine what could be done with Husker size, strength, and speed if they had someone to coach them to be steady, disciplined, and consistent? 

3) Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech proved that an option offense at the FBS level can be somewhat successful. They did hit plateaus here and there, but the Yellowjackets won the Orange Bowl, set rushing records, beat Florida State, Georgia, etc. 

4) I don't get the resistance, either from Frost, or a large segment of the fans, to going back to a ground-based attack that includes option in some form or fashion. We've literally done about everything EXCEPT that since '03, and what success is there to show for it? Literally, how much worse could things be? a 4-8 season?

It's simple. Nebraska football is NEVER going to return to any kind of real success until whoever is coaching is 100% committed to establishing a running attack as our IDENTITY. The 'N' on the side of the helmet NEEDS to mean hard-nosed, smash-mouth football, or we'll be watching everyone else come bowl season every year. 

We need to go back.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

1) There is no proof whatsoever Chadwell's stuff wouldn't work in the B1G. Part of it is RPO, which Minnesota, Penn State, and a few others utilize to some degree of success. According to your logic, against all these NFL caliber defenders, nothing will work. Minnesota just went up and down the field with an average QB against us running some RPO. And we did run some option plays successfully against nearly every team we've played. Frost just doesn't call it often enough to get a real read on how effective it actually is as an offense. No play is going 20+ yards every time, and while the option does get stopped at times, it's still an effective play, and offense.

2)Army, Navy, and Air Force are almost always out-matched athletically, but somehow, they have winning records and make bowl games. They move the ball. They keep their defense fresh. They keep themselves in most games. A struggling, rebuilding Navy squad beat Malzahn's high-flying UCF Knights a couple weeks ago. Air Force just beat Boise State by a touchdown, the same Boise State that bested a previously undefeated BYU. In 2019, after Colorado beat us in overtime, Air Force beat them. Army marched (pun intended) into Camp Randall and fell by 6. They moved the ball on the Badgers, though out-sized and out-matched athletically. Imagine what could be done with Husker size, strength, and speed if they had someone to coach them to be steady, disciplined, and consistent? 

3) Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech proved that an option offense at the FBS level can be somewhat successful. They did hit plateaus here and there, but the Yellowjackets won the Orange Bowl, set rushing records, beat Florida State, Georgia, etc. 

4) I don't get the resistance, either from Frost, or a large segment of the fans, to going back to a ground-based attack that includes option in some form or fashion. We've literally done about everything EXCEPT that since '03, and what success is there to show for it? Literally, how much worse could things be? a 4-8 season?

It's simple. Nebraska football is NEVER going to return to any kind of real success until whoever is coaching is 100% committed to establishing a running attack as our IDENTITY. The 'N' on the side of the helmet NEEDS to mean hard-nosed, smash-mouth football, or we'll be watching everyone else come bowl season every year. 

We need to go back.

We can get the last part of your statement with out running triple option like the teams named above. There is a reason why Neb went away from the triple option. 

With the triple option employed by the Armed Forces teams is exactly why they run it. They are undermanned.  Kids dont want to go D1 to run that offense. They will go to schools who can get them into the NFL

Minnesota dominated us cause they were lining up 6-7 O-lineman and killing our d-line lol. 

I would love to see a mix of Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan's offense ran here in Lincoln. Smash mouth and a little flash when needed.

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

The Head Coach has the opportunity to pick the team that best supports his efforts.  That team was chosen for their ability to work together, their loyalty and their complimentary talents.  At this stage, I am not in favor of Coach Frost removing assistants as a means of prolonging his tenure.  

This group of coaches should remain together and will get a 5th Year despite the poor results to date.  For a Head Coach who is struggling to remove a few assistants this season only to wrongly claim in Year 5 that poor performance is now the result of a new system is misguided.  

If he wanted to go a different direction, that should have been considered in Year 2 or Year 3 (at latest).  We are too far down the road for that to even enter the discussion.

Other , more successful, head coaches seem to have no problem with changing staff who’s unit’s have underperformed.  Often with good results.  

if Frost approaches this as a means to “prolong his tenure,” then he’s going to fail.  

I would hope he would approach the possibility of making coaching changes to make this thing work, as he has said he would many times.  

3 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

We can get the last part of your statement with out running triple option like the teams named above. There is a reason why Neb went away from the triple option. 

With the triple option employed by the Armed Forces teams is exactly why they run it. They are undermanned.  Kids dont want to go D1 to run that offense. They will go to schools who can get them into the NFL

Minnesota dominated us cause they were lining up 6-7 O-lineman and killing our d-line lol. 

I would love to see a mix of Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan's offense ran here in Lincoln. Smash mouth and a little flash when needed.

I will grant you the NFL argument, but only for QB's and WR's. The good news is that we won't be recruiting against the big dogs for those kinds of kids. We could spend that  recruiting time and money on defensive prospects (where games are won, anyway). But I guarantee that we would recruit linemen and running backs to a system where there is a lot of run blocking and a lot of running the ball. 

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic