Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

I learned that most people on this board were all on coach chins and frost for the long haul after losing last week to michigan.  I learned that people are fickle when they dont get there way and are quick to just cast fire and brimstone.  I learned that most people would just rather point blame where ever they see fit to whatever there narative is.  I learned last week that trev is all frost and there is no getting rid of him for a while and nor should they.  I learned that you will never have a group of people more vested in nebraskas interests than the leadership we have now with the athletic department and the football department.  And that last statement should make more of a difference than anyone you could possibly put in those roles.  

I learned that if you want to win in this league you need to be nasty, nebraska has looked nasty in the last 5 weeks and they brought nothing today.  NOTHING.  I have no idea what it is like to play football at this level.  But Minnisota is not a better team, and nebraska let them win that game, let them stay in that game.  If you ever watch say (ohio st) when they come out in the first quarter they are always flat but they seem to warm up and start piling it on.  I didnt see anything nasty at all when they played today.  You need to keep your foot down.  There are lots more, but im not suprised we lost.  I had hoped we were beyond this, but we arent.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 3

18 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I learned that most people on this board were all on coach chins and frost for the long haul after losing last week to michigan.  I learned that people are fickle when they dont get there way and are quick to just cast fire and brimstone.  I learned that most people would just rather point blame where ever they see fit to whatever there narative is.  I learned last week that trev is all frost and there is no getting rid of him for a while and nor should they.  I learned that you will never have a group of people more vested in nebraskas interests than the leadership we have now with the athletic department and the football department.  And that last statement should make more of a difference than anyone you could possibly put in those roles.  

I learned that if you want to win in this league you need to be nasty, nebraska has looked nasty in the last 5 weeks and they brought nothing today.  NOTHING.  I have no idea what it is like to play football at this level.  But Minnisota is not a better team, and nebraska let them win that game, let them stay in that game.  If you ever watch say (ohio st) when they come out in the first quarter they are always flat but they seem to warm up and start piling it on.  I didnt see anything nasty at all when they played today.  You need to keep your foot down.  There are lots more, but im not suprised we lost.  I had hoped we were beyond this, but we arent.

I wish this would’ve been our bye week. Are our boys just worn out? How much was poor coaching vs poor player execution?  
We ARE so fickle as fans myself included. What is the answer? Start over or press on with major changes in staff? Scott will be here for another year. After that is anyone’s guess. 

• Plus1 1

1.  The notion that this program has turned the corner just took a big hit by losing to a team with inferior talent that lost to Bowling Green.

2.  Play calling and decision making continue to plague Frost in close games. 

3.  Superior talent cannot overcome inferior coaching

4.  Unless a miracle happens, Nebraska will face another losing season.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, lo country said:

What concerns me is next year the schedule is supposed to be easier.  We get Rutgers and Indiana.  NDSU and Georgia Southern.  So is we go 7-5, 8-4 is it really improving or are we beating "lesser" teams.  And I wouldn't count either of our 1st two games as wins if this staff returns intact...Then roll into a "harder" 2023 and go 4-8/5-7 again....I just think that 4 years is enough time to accurately gauge future success or failures.  For me, this staff needs to be shaken up like a snow globe.

I agree.  With the easiest schedule Nebraska has had in a decade, a 5th year coach should be expected to get to 9 or 10 wins.  If Frost is brought back, he is likely to go 7-5 and many will find that wonderful despite the fact we would fail to get to a CCG yet again.  No other top program would keep a coach beyond 4 years with the resume Frost has. I seriously would like somebody to give me a recent example of a time Michigan, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Ohio State or Texas would keep such a coach.

• Plus1 1

(1) Frost is a horrible play caller and probably the least smart of all the coaches in the Big and arguably in FBS. His offense’s identity is CHAOS.

(2) we should not kick another field goal ever as long as our kicker is Culp.

(3) we are the only team in FBS that consistently loses to teams of much lesser talent

(4) we will not be bowl eligible this season

(5) this team is the Jekyll and Hyde team with Mr. Hyde making most of the appearances.

(6) whatever momentum we gained over the past weeks in coming close to win against top 10 competition has been flushed down the toilet with this showing.

This loss is even more disappointing than the Illinois loss because it happened after so much momentum has been gained. Frost’s legacy at Nebraska is marked with losing close games and losing to lesser talent, which is a reflection of his coaching.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, lo country said:

learned that Frost and Lubbick (who ever calls plays) are in over their heads

It doesn’t matter what the play call is if the players don’t execute it. 

Yant should have a TD

should have 4 points on two easy kicks. 
WR gotta catch the ball when they get two hands on it. 

Do those simple things and we win this game.  None of those things failed because of a bad play call. 

• Plus1 2

I mean honestly that I have learned to not trust my enthusiasm after they do well, in a game or after a win.  They trashed a great feeling I had during and after the Northwestern game.  I thought we were on our way back.. or even back.  Look at us:  3-5 with a multi-million dollar Head Coach that arrived with high expectations among (many of) us Husker fans. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'm a better gameday coach than Frost.

Consistently manages games to his own team's weaknesses.

Still do not understand not just dialing up a Brady-esque sneak. Why touch the ball 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need 6 inches? Makes zero sense.

And on 3rd down, down by 6, you run up the middle to set up Connor Culp? WTF?

You really aren't. Willing to put money on it

• Haha 2