Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was on the side that Illinois was an aberration, in a week 0 game, against a new coaching staff at Illinois. However, Frost can't afford 2 stinkers like that in the same season, and that happened today. 

Yep, that Illini game is only an aberration if the team moves on, gets better and doesn’t regress to that level again. They regressed today….a lot.

They had every reason in the world to come out and play today. They didn’t and that is a big red flag.

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep, that Illini game is only an aberration if the team moves on, gets better and doesn’t regress to that level again. They regressed today….a lot.

They had every reason in the world to come out and play today. They didn’t and that is a big red flag.

Chin's dad just tragically passes away and you can't come out on fire as a team.....Come on man

Austin Allen and Cam Taylor-Britt are our two most consistent players all season. Martinez does not possess the talent to win in crunch time. He has had more opportunities than any other QB in FBS to win a one score game and he has come short. That is his legacy and he is not going to change now. You either have it or you don’t and Martinez does not have it in him to win in crunch time. Since our chances of going to the toilet bowl are all but gone, put smothers in and get him some game experience before next year. Martinez will give us a Jekyll and Hyde performance with Hyde taking the wheel when it matters most.

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It's a QB issue. Rest of the team outside the o line played well enough. Defense did get off to a slow start but settled down. Kicker had a hip flexor not sure why our kickers keep having injuries like this but it is what it is.

Without watching the game, I basically know exactly what happened by reading this thread…it’s the same story every loss. We had opportunities to win. We weren’t disciplined enough to make our assignments every play. We need a special teams coach to work with our kickers. We have difficulties calling the right plays in the red zone. We had mistackles on their scoring drives. 2 AM had a couple poor decisions or missed reads that led to big plays for the other team or missed opportunities for ourselves. And probably a couple of questionable calls that seemed to be in big spots in the game.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, ndobney said:

It's a QB issue. Rest of the team outside the o line played well enough. Defense did get off to a slow start but settled down. Kicker had a hip flexor not sure why our kickers keep having injuries like this but it is what it is.

You are wrong and taking this narrative to ridiculous lengths. Did Adrian have a poor game and another mind numbing mistake? Yes. But there were other problems and neither side of the ball or ST played well.

3 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I agree. I think our boys are just worn out. Having their coach lose their Dad on top of it? 
sure wish this would have been their bye week. 

Seven games without a bye is a haul.....Losing 3 against top teams in the last minutes has got to drain you mentally.  I am also sure "waiting for the other shoe to drop" every game has got to feel like running in quicksand.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ladyhawke said:

I agree. I think our boys are just worn out. Having their coach lose their Dad on top of it? 
sure wish this would have been their bye week. 

But it wasn't the bye week, and Frost made comments before Chin's dad passed away that the team was looking forward to the bye week. They were looking ahead. I get it, it's been a long slog of a season so far.  But, what's the point of morning practices if the team is going to consistently come out flat for 11 AM kickoffs (especially on the road). 

Just now, Redux said:

I learned that anything other than straight s#!tting on the coach or team is lunacy for 24hrs following a loss

It's getting really, really, really hard to make any defense for Frost. Especially when the best argument in his favor is probably "well, he came close to winning against those top 10 teams".... That argument might buy him some time if he wasn't also losing to Illinois and Minnesota.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1