Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

5 minutes ago, jamesbond said:

Pelini 67-27

Callahan 27-22

Riley 19-19

Frost 14-23

Please explain why we shouldn't be panicking now.

Because we can actually see progress.  And what does panicking do at this point?  Ride this season out.  Barring some monumental blowouts, it's Frost next year.

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well maybe like 111 of them, we play a lot of them.  But the point is we aren't special.  Haven't been in a long time.  And if we ever wanna get back to being special hitting reset every 3-4yrs isn't going to get us there.  We have a lot of problems, but we're still playing good football but not notching wins.  If this year doesn't translate into wins next year, then we can collectively start panicking.

I don’t disagree. Thats why Im not running all over the board calling for his head. I haven’t requested that he be fired once. But Ive also seen more than enough to know he does not deserve to be retained. The only argument in his favor has nothing to do with him but rather that we are all sick and tired of starting over with new coaches and that approach hasn’t helped yet.

Personally I’m done with the “but we played these teams tough” excuses. We’ve lost to every team better than us and also to most that cannot be considered better. The common theme is we lose. But IDGAF, Im not in charge of squat and nobody is going to consult me. Win, lose, fire the coach, don’t fire the coach, whatever. Its all above my pay grade. So we can keep sucking with this staff or we can suck with the next staff. People bemoaned accepting mediocrity in this program. f#&%, I’d love to move UP to mediocrity.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Redux said:

Because we can actually see progress.  And what does panicking do at this point?  Ride this season out.  Barring some monumental blowouts, it's Frost next year.

Our progress is losing by less......That's really not progress.  Ou record is still 3-5 this year....Had we beaten Minnie today, I would be right there with you.  We are beating teams we should and now playing "better" teams closer.  I am unsure we have another win with this team.  

I sure hope the guys are well rested and fired up after the bye week because they have yet to win the game directly following a bye week while Frost has been here.  In 2018,  we played Bethune-Cookman during our bye week due to the Akron game getting cancelled.  In 2019,  we lost to Indiana 31-38 following our first bye week and then lost to Wisconsin 21-37 following the second bye week of the season.  In 2020,  we did not have a scheduled bye week but Wisconsin cancelled our game mid-week giving us plenty of time to prepare for NW, which we lost 13-21.  

I am hoping this extra time gives the players and coaches some time to reflect on things along with getting some s#!t worked out.  

• Plus1 1

Let me pose a question: what if the Huskers had a QB like Tanner Morgan?  A guy with slightly below average athleticism, a little too short to ideally inhabit the QB position, and slightly less than ideal arm strength.  But accurate, catchable, capable in the pocket, and with the intellectual capabilities to grasp and master the offense?  Give him a pocket, and he distributes to the playmakers.

Let me observe that the Huskers have more playmakers on the field than anyone in the West.  Let me observe that the Huskers recruit better than anyone in the West. If the Huskers had Tanner Morgan, they would win the West.

But they don't.  And it is the result of a philosophical choice.  Frost is seeking a dual-threat QB who can create offense with his legs.  He doesn't need to do that.  Just go get a Tanner Morgan who can reliably get the ball to your playmakers.  There are many of those types of QB's, and the Huskers can easily land one.  But there are between 0-2 TRUE dual-threat QB's in the nation, and the Huskers are unlikely to land one.

Do you know why the Huskers lost?  Because the MN defense prioritized creating no escape routes for Martinez over actually getting to Martinez.  Keep him in the pocket; don't let him run; make him actually have to pass the ball to receivers.  So he gets -17 yards rushing, and the Huskers lose.  Because he really can't pass all that well.  Because Frost keeps aiming at dual-threat QB's. 

Go get a Tanner Morgan and you will win the West.  But that requires a philosophical change.  If Frost can make that change in his own head, then the Huskers will win.  If he cannot make that change in philosophy, then the Huskers will continue to lose.  It's that simple.

BTW, the Huskers look much improved.  The problem is that there exists a simple "formula" for beating the Huskers as they are currently constituted.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jamesbond said:

Progress = beat Buffalo a 3-4 team 3rd in the MAC East; beat Fordham hahahahahahahah; Beat Northwestern a 3-3 weak sister.

Lost to Illinois 2-5 

Lost to Minnesota 3-4

Competitive against decent teams, but not a single win. 

Not that it changes anything, but Minnesota is 4-2.

13 hours ago, lo country said:

We are 99th in red zone.  5-17 in 1 loss games.  A QB who leads (in bottom) of TO's........Our losing record.....All of this is a reflection of our play calling, development, coaching etc...That's all on coaching.  Why did we fire Riley>  Pelini?  Cally?  Solich?  Because their players failed to execute or the HC failed to execute......

Yep, but I was responding to play calling.  Play calling didn’t lose this game.  Players not doing simple things lost this game.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Redux said:

Progress is not the right term.  It can be incremental, but for this team it's a roller coaster ride.  They cannot be counted on to do well play by play, O or D or ST, in a game, and they cannot be counted on to do better from one game to the next.  There are some signs of momentary improvement here and there, but to say that this program is making true progress is probably not correct at this point. 

I think coach Frost is in over his head in this conference.

• Plus1 1