Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

25 minutes ago, hagg said:

Progress is not the right term.  It can be incremental, but for this team it's a roller coaster ride.  They cannot be counted on to do well play by play, O or D or ST, in a game, and they cannot be counted on to do better from one game to the next.  There are some signs of momentary improvement here and there, but to say that this program is making true progress is probably not correct at this point. 

I think coach Frost is in over his head in this conference.

Progress is progress, record be damned.  We haven't been blown out and have been in every game we've managed to lose, even had a couple of the losses in hand before whatever act of football God decided to snatch victory away.  Defense is playing sound with effort. Martinez is playing like we wished he would 2 seasons ago.  It's still progress.  From embarrassing losses, we're at close losses.  Next step is wins.  Probably happens next year. If it doesn't.....

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, hagg said:

That's often about the coaching staff.

I’m not against criticizing the staff and if alberts thinks a change needs to be made at the end of the year, I’m not going to argue.  

But, I’m also not for just giving the players a pass. They know how to play this game and THEY were the ones screwed up simple things.  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not against criticizing the staff and if alberts thinks a change needs to be made at the end of the year, I’m not going to argue.  

But, I’m also not for just giving the players a pass. They know how to play this game and THEY were the ones screwed up simple things.  

I'm not so sure I'm criticizing the coaches.  I think they are honestly doing their very best with the tools they have ("tools" as in experience and players and training facilities, etc).  I do feel that this same crew would be on top of their game in the AAC or another smaller less formidable conference. 

• Plus1 1

Inconsistent teams gonna inconsistent.  There is nobody on this team that can be trusted to bring B or A level play consistently. Until they develop that part, let down games are going to happen.  We came with our C game yesterday. Minnesota brought their A+.  I don't expect any team to bring A 12 games a year, but you either have to be enough superior as a team that your C game can win, or you have to find at least  your B game and have that be your bottom. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Florida Husker Watcher said:

Let me pose a question: what if the Huskers had a QB like Tanner Morgan?  A guy with slightly below average athleticism, a little too short to ideally inhabit the QB position, and slightly less than ideal arm strength.  But accurate, catchable, capable in the pocket, and with the intellectual capabilities to grasp and master the offense?  Give him a pocket, and he distributes to the playmakers.

Let me observe that the Huskers have more playmakers on the field than anyone in the West.  Let me observe that the Huskers recruit better than anyone in the West. If the Huskers had Tanner Morgan, they would win the West.

But they don't.  And it is the result of a philosophical choice.  Frost is seeking a dual-threat QB who can create offense with his legs.  He doesn't need to do that.  Just go get a Tanner Morgan who can reliably get the ball to your playmakers.  There are many of those types of QB's, and the Huskers can easily land one.  But there are between 0-2 TRUE dual-threat QB's in the nation, and the Huskers are unlikely to land one.

Do you know why the Huskers lost?  Because the MN defense prioritized creating no escape routes for Martinez over actually getting to Martinez.  Keep him in the pocket; don't let him run; make him actually have to pass the ball to receivers.  So he gets -17 yards rushing, and the Huskers lose.  Because he really can't pass all that well.  Because Frost keeps aiming at dual-threat QB's. 

Go get a Tanner Morgan and you will win the West.  But that requires a philosophical change.  If Frost can make that change in his own head, then the Huskers will win.  If he cannot make that change in philosophy, then the Huskers will continue to lose.  It's that simple.

BTW, the Huskers look much improved.  The problem is that there exists a simple "formula" for beating the Huskers as they are currently constituted.

Careful….people will say that’s a lazy take.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, but I was responding to play calling.  Play calling didn’t lose this game.  Players not doing simple things lost this game.  

Yes!

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Florida Husker Watcher said:

Let me pose a question: what if the Huskers had a QB like Tanner Morgan?  A guy with slightly below average athleticism, a little too short to ideally inhabit the QB position, and slightly less than ideal arm strength.  But accurate, catchable, capable in the pocket, and with the intellectual capabilities to grasp and master the offense?  Give him a pocket, and he distributes to the playmakers.

Tanner hasn't played well in many games this year. Tanner is not the guy you want to use if you are trying to prove a slow and steady consistency point. Tanner through 2 INT's yesterday when "typical Tanner," showed up and then Minnesota completely abandoned the passing game because they realized they had already worked a jackpot miracle out of Tanner.

To add to the fallacy of your point, you mention "giving him a pocket." Have you even seen a pocket more than 30% of our snaps this year? We are lucky we have a mobile QB this year or this team would have thrown in the towel after our 3rd loss to Buffalo.

Finally, the fact that Adrian is able to take off at any time changes the way defenses are forced to play us, which makes the passing game much easier than it would be if we didn't have a runner back there.  If we had a "statue" QB, he would need to be not Tanner Morgan quality to make a difference, but Joe Burrow quality to do so. Joe Burrow QB's aren't coming to Nebraska at this point in our program history, so you can't pretend you replace Adrian with the best out out there, you have to replace Adrian with the high 3 star guy you could get to come in and sit for 3 years as a 2nd or 3rd stringer while he develops. 

At the end of the day, when it comes to phenomenal talent, Adrian is the best we could have ever hoped for back there. He had a stinker yesterday, no doubt, but no QB has their best game every time they take the field. Don't pile on him because he's an easy target.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It is up to the coaches to develop consistency.  This staff has had 4 years to do it.  There is no reason why this program shouldn't at least be a consistent bowl team if nothing else.  The Minnesota game was huge for the program and they laid an egg.

No, even the 90's Huskers had off games.  ALL TEAMS DO. Bama had one last week. The truly great teams are merely the ones that that have enough talent that even playing at their C level, they can beat teams playing at A level.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It is up to the coaches to develop consistency.  This staff has had 4 years to do it.  There is no reason why this program shouldn't at least be a consistent bowl team if nothing else.  The Minnesota game was huge for the program and they laid an egg.

They've been laying eggs from the beginning with this Head Coach.  Lightening and rain blew away Akron, not the Huskers:  Perhaps God was showing us the future under this guy.  Then the Buffs beat us and Frost may have begun to see that he had work to do other than posturing himself as The Second Coming (he reminded me a bit of Callahan with that crap).  Now he's coached 40 games for us and won 15. 

12 hours ago, lo country said:

Our progress is losing by less......That's really not progress.  Ou record is still 3-5 this year....Had we beaten Minnie today, I would be right there with you.  We are beating teams we should and now playing "better" teams closer.  I am unsure we have another win with this team.  

It really is progress.

And we're not in a league known as the Big 2 Little Six any longer.

15 minutes ago, hagg said:

They've been laying eggs from the beginning with this Head Coach.  Lightening and rain blew away Akron, not the Huskers:  Perhaps God was showing us the future under this guy.  Then the Buffs beat us and Frost may have begun to see that he had work to do other than posturing himself as The Second Coming (he reminded me a bit of Callahan with that crap).  Now he's coached 40 games for us and won 15. 

And has only beat 2 P5 teams with winning records both 7-6 teams with a roster full of Riley players. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Redux said:

... even had a couple of the losses in hand before whatever act of football God decided to snatch victory away.

Let's just cut the BS. A lot of people want to keep Frost because he played here and they have fond memories of him.

Because it is a strong possibility he may not win again, let alone tie his highest win total in a season of 5.

You mistyped "The record is damning". You accidentally typed "...record be damned."

• Plus1 1