Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I still don't see Frost escaping a 3-9 or 4-8 season. You let that slide and you basically give him 2 more years with next years schedule. He'll find a way to get to 6 wins next year. Recruiting will still suck because you can't offer up your vision to recruits. Then goes in to 2023 and poops the bed at 4-8 and we fire him. Historically he's in uncharted waters of failure. 

If they are blowouts it might change the conversation.....but this team is competitive and that's what the powers are asking for right now.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I was on board with the scrappy new Husker team that could hang with top competition in tough losses, and put it all together against a Northwestern or two.

We were a dangerous 3-4 team that had to be taken seriously. I was good with that, despite the losing record. 

Now I"m not feeling it so much. 

The new narrative -- this is a team that keeps finding new ways to lose in Scott Frost's fourth season seems more likely to stick. 

Honestly, we're becoming a joke. And that's assuming anyone is paying attention to Nebraska football.

Four tough games left. Win two of them and we can discuss Scott Frost's future. Anything less and it's time to move on. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If they are blowouts it might change the conversation.....but this team is competitive and that's what the powers are asking for right now.

TO said anything less than 6-6 wouldn't cut it at a place like Nebraska. Frost is on pace to do it more than any coach in Nebraska history. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

The point I don't see anyone making, and I've been hearing about the mistakes and "close losses" for a while, is every team makes mistakes. 

Post game Frost and the players talk like if they had just gotten one more score, that they would have won the game.  Well, if Minnesota is down, maybe they don't play the no-pass or short-pass offense the whole second half trying to kill the clock.

The idea that if they hit a FG or get a TD to go up 23-21, it would have been over, but that's not a reality and that's a bit of a loser mindset.

It's like Nebraska just believes they need to at some point capture a lead against Minnesota, and the monkey will be off their back, a lead (something Nebraska only has held against Minnesota for a minute and 34 seconds dating back to 2019.

Look at the game yesterday. For every dumb mistake, Minnesota could say the same thing.

Why didn't Tanner Morgan air that pass out 5 yards more to put them up 28-9 on their opening 2nd half drive.  Bad mistake.

Why did Tanner Morgan make a really bad throw on the very next drive.  Bad Mistake.

If Minnesota win's the turnover battle, that would have been a different game, but Tanner had too many mistakes.  But Nebraska won the turnover battle by 2.  Teams that do that win 78% of the time.

Something bigger is wrong, because you aren't winning games when you win the turnover battle by two.

Frost is essentially trying to put the pressure on his players to play perfectly, and they won't.  No teams play perfectly.  I don't think Frost gets it.

Go beat Iowa and Wisconsin.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

That was true when he said it.  Harvey Perlman singlehandedly changed that truth for now.

So 4 years after he and Riley are gone our bar is now try hard and get close. Good God how we have fallen. I hope the stadiums half empty next season if we've become this kind of program now. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Purdue and Wisconsin are winnable, Ohio State and Iowa are at home. We SHOULD be able to knock one of them off. 

We haven't shown an ability to beat a p5 team this year outside of Northwestern. Wisconsin will shut our offense down and it will come down to mistakes. We are great at those 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Husker03 said:

At the end of the day, when it comes to phenomenal talent, Adrian is the best we could have ever hoped for back there. He had a stinker yesterday, no doubt, but no QB has their best game every time they take the field. Don't pile on him because he's an easy target.

I think the overall record, two minute drill fiascos, turnovers in crunch time, safeties in crunch time say otherwise. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So 4 years after he and Riley are gone our bar is now try hard and get close. Good God how we have fallen. I hope the stadiums half empty next season if we've become this kind of program now. 

You do understand that those two set the program in the opposite direction of success, right? Terrible in nearly all aspects regarding the football program (recruiting, scheduling, staffing, etc.). Took a program that was what many nationally considered to be respectable under Pelini and flipped that entirely. Reestablishing a successful program can be a long process as only a few are able to set and (more importantly) sustain a successful program for several years. 

Unfortunately, Frost & Co. haven’t turned it around yet but I still believe we are capable of getting up in the top of the conference discussion as soon as next year. Yesterday was an awful setback, but I believe the team is capable of finishing out the season winning at least three of four. But hey, I’m an optimistic person by nature… hope the team fulfills that vision.

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

You do understand that those two set the program in the opposite direction of success, right? Terrible in nearly all aspects regarding the football program (recruiting, scheduling, staffing, etc.). Took a program that was what many nationally considered to be respectable under Pelini and flipped that entirely. Reestablishing a successful program can be a long process as only a few are able to set and (more importantly) sustain a successful program for several years. 

Unfortunately, Frost & Co. haven’t turned it around yet but I still believe we are capable of getting up in the top of the conference discussion as soon as next year. Yesterday was an awful setback, but I believe the team is capable of finishing out the season winning at least three of four. But hey, I’m an optimistic person by nature… hope the team fulfills that vision.

I hope so too but I'm at the shut up and show me stage. 

4 hours ago, Kentmick said:

Let's just cut the BS. A lot of people want to keep Frost because he played here and they have fond memories of him.

Because it is a strong possibility he may not win again, let alone tie his highest win total in a season of 5.

You mistyped "The record is damning". You accidentally typed "...record be damned."

Has zero to do with him playing here in the 90's. People need to get off this crutch.  He's put 4yrs in, you can see the team coming together, I'm willing to give it another year.  If you're not, I don't really give a s#!t.  He's getting another year so everyone may as well get used to it.

Literally nobody out there that would be worth a damn that would take this job if we canned him this year.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have learned we have no culture

We have no toughness

We have no brotherhood amongst this team.

I went to my son's CFB game yesterday.  One of his roommates is/was the starting QB.  At half they replaced him.  Back up QB led them to a win.  I asked him if his roommate was hurt.  He said no, he knew this might happen.  Their defense is really good.  O sucks.

On Sunday last week, the coaches told the team there are no starters this week.  He said top 2 QB's both took snaps.  Back ups were given chances all over.  The O looked completely different 2nd half.  I feel bad for his roommate.  Seems like a great kid.

With a bye week.  Open up the whole thing and see who in the heck wants to compete.