Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Frost doesn't get fired after this season, he needs to be canned if he can't go 7-5 next season. Anything less than 7-5 next year is completely unacceptable.

He's got to figure out what it is that gets his offense into a place where they're "off" so often in the first 1.5 quarters.

The special teams stuff is largely fixed from where it was a year ago.

But we're still a 5-7 dumpster fire. 7-5 next year or he doesn't deserve to step foot onto campus as a member of this program's staff.

If he comes back and if the schedule is as easy as it looks.  I don't think 7-5 saves him.  With this schedule, I would think it would be 9-10 wins.

I learned that I dislike PJ Fleck and Gophers more than I dislike Iowa.  The extra long hug and commentary he gave Adrian at the end of the game made me want to puke.  What the hell is that BS?  God dammit I cannot stand that guy.  Adrian is too nice of a kid to push him away and tell him to pound sand. 

I also remembered that this team has no desire.  That's the other thing I learned.  I knew in my heart that losing to OU, MSU, and Michigan like they did was going to take the wind out of their sails and that's exactly what they looked like on Saturday.  I, like everyone else, knew that game was over when we went down 14-3.  Nuff said. 

The title of these threads should be "____: What do we remember" because everyone seems to remember that we're a bad football team when they lose to teams like Minnesota and Illinois.  MSU, OU, and Michigan are just enough to make us think that we might actually be good when in reality we're not. Ugh - I hate watching this team lose like this.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I learned that I dislike PJ Fleck and Gophers more than I dislike Iowa.  The extra long hug and commentary he gave Adrian at the end of the game made me want to puke.  What the hell is that BS?  God dammit I cannot stand that guy.  Adrian is too nice of a kid to push him away and tell him to pound sand. 

I also remembered that this team has no desire.  That's the other thing I learned.  I knew in my heart that losing to OU, MSU, and Michigan like they did was going to take the wind out of their sails and that's exactly what they looked like on Saturday.  I, like everyone else, knew that game was over when we went down 14-3.  Nuff said. 

The title of these threads should be "____: What do we remember" because everyone seems to remember that we're a bad football team when they lose to teams like Minnesota and Illinois.  MSU, OU, and Michigan are just enough to make us think that we might actually be good when in reality we're not. Ugh - I hate watching this team lose like this.

While we may differ in our opinion of Coach Fleck, I tend to think that he muses about the possibilities of what he could do with a talent like Adrian Martinez.  He has never had an athlete like that at QB at either Western Michigan or Minnesota.  He must view our inability to shape that talent as illustration of our program's shortcomings.  For example, you would think in Year 4 that he would climb the pocket rather than retreat into the end zone in the face of pressure.

In terms of your last statement, you have found our identity.  A team that is not good enough to seize upon success even when it is presented to them.  The team is conditioned to lose.  This is what they feel comfortable with and until someone comes along who can change that mindset, it will continue.

1 hour ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Maybe he said “stick around kid, I’m coming to Lincoln.” 

wouldn’t that be the bees knees. 

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If he comes back and if the schedule is as easy as it looks.  I don't think 7-5 saves him.  With this schedule, I would think it would be 9-10 wins.

From a perception standpoint, firing a coach with 4 losing seasons who then 'gets over the hump' with progress to a 7-5 season looks far worse than firing a coach after 4 losing seasons.

Not saying it's right or rational, but definitely would be tougher PR-wise. Every program in America fires a coach after four straight losing seasons, so there'd be no unrealistic expectations narrative. Stick with him after that, then he starts winning and you fire him because it's not good enough winning? That's tougher.

7 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I get what you're saying but this isn't factually correct. Duke with David Cutcliffe, Rutgers and Greg Schiano, Mike Neu ball State. There's more I'm sure but it is what it is

Please don't compare us to those schools. Seeing our performance the last 4 years is embarrassing enough. Don't rub salt in it.

• Plus1 4
10 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

I get what you're saying but this isn't factually correct. Duke with David Cutcliffe, Rutgers and Greg Schiano, Mike Neu ball State. There's more I'm sure but it is what it is

Fair enough, although 3 out of 130 FPS teams is 2%. Extrapolate that out over the modern era and you have 50 years of precedent for 98-99% of schools firing a coach after four straight losing seasons.

Which gets to the larger point that nobody would criticize us for it.

9 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Is he serious or is he patronizing? That was arguably AM's worst game of the year.

I don't like Fleck either, but I admire the way that he can do more with less. We could use a bit of that.

I think he's very sincere.  These coaches know good players and, even though they want to win, they know these kids are struggling.  The game is over.  There's no reason not to try to build the kid up.  Fleck is a weird duck.  But, I've never seen anything to think he's an a$$ to other team's players.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think he's very sincere.  These coaches know good players and, even though they want to win, they know these kids are struggling.  The game is over.  There's no reason not to try to build the kid up.  Fleck is a weird duck.  But, I've never seen anything to think he's an a$$ to other team's players.

Fleck is obviously not Jim Harbaugh, but this rah rah rah stuff gets on my nerves.  It wouldn't bother me if NU was winning but they're not and I can't look inward so I point my anger at people who annoy me.  PJ Fleck is that person right now.  What kind of person goes by PJ anyway.  Jesus.  "I'm really proud of how good you've gotten"?  Give me a break.  Who says s#!t like that?  People who are too positive.