Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

On 10/20/2021 at 8:29 AM, MasterPulverizer said:

Fleck is obviously not Jim Harbaugh, but this rah rah rah stuff gets on my nerves.  It wouldn't bother me if NU was winning but they're not and I can't look inward so I point my anger at people who annoy me.  PJ Fleck is that person right now.  What kind of person goes by PJ anyway.  Jesus.  "I'm really proud of how good you've gotten"?  Give me a break.  Who says s#!t like that?  People who are too positive.

People who don't like positive people... well... um...  there's people you can talk to about that.

• Plus1 2

On 10/20/2021 at 5:34 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I think he's very sincere.  These coaches know good players and, even though they want to win, they know these kids are struggling.  The game is over.  There's no reason not to try to build the kid up.  Fleck is a weird duck.  But, I've never seen anything to think he's an a$$ to other team's players.

I think he's sincere, too. If you've chosen college football coach out of all the careers in the world, you understand the pressure on young athletes, especially when they lose. Having just game-planned for Adrian Martinez, I think Fleck totally respects how good he can be. 

I'll take enthusiasm on the sidelines any day of the week. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I am sick of losing being blamed on the players when it is clearly a coaching issue. For instance, many fans thought the defense in the first half of the Minnesota game looked slow because they were looking forward to a bye week. On the contrary if you listen to “the beat with JoJo Domann” via huskeronline, he mentions himself that, in the first half, the defense was not checking once the Minnesota O checked based on our initial D alignment. That is bad coaching! Chins gets a slight pass but this should have been realized prior to halftime. We had been checking most the season. To not do so, put your D at a disadvantage or you better be very fundamentally sound (which we have proven time and again we are not)

On 10/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I think he's very sincere.  These coaches know good players and, even though they want to win, they know these kids are struggling.  The game is over.  There's no reason not to try to build the kid up.  Fleck is a weird duck.  But, I've never seen anything to think he's an a$$ to other team's players.

Agreed.  He just got done rowing the boat on us, and wanted to give AM some appreciation and support.  It's fine.

8 hours ago, Undone said:

I know, I know...resurrecting this thread...

But this video came up in my YouTube feed and I noticed it has 500,000 views:

That play was probably the season.

No way of knowing Yant would trip himself up there but that's hardly the only thing that could have gone wrong there. We only needed a foot, put some beef behind AM to push the pile and sneak the damn ball. Getting cute near the goalline is one of the reasons we consistently rank significantly higher in yards than points. 

• Fire 1