Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It's bad up to date 

That's not a news flash Hedley.

But we arent in the big 2 little 6? Frost has us playing consistently as a little 6. We arent even a mid level B1G team after 4 years. We may actually finish worse this year than any of his 4 years in B1G West standings. 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

But we arent in the big 2 little 6? Frost has us playing consistently as a little 6. We arent even a mid level B1G team after 4 years. We may actually finish worse this year than any of his 4 years in B1G West standings. 

After 4 years?

.....I've missed some games.

Did Trev fire Frost after Iowa?

21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

There is not really any tangible metric that represents progress aside from some on-field improvements on defense.

I believe we have lost every game that Martinez has turned it over. I may be off on that, but it's pretty incredible. His knack for turning it over in the worst situations is uncanny. A safety is a turnover in my book too. These turnovers actually more than negate the positive stats he may have. This is not QB coaching up, to the point that if a year 4 QB makes the same mistakes as year 1 id call it regression. He should have accidentally improved by now. We cannot separate the QB coach from Head Coach in this. What player do people think Frost spends the most time with?

Special teams. "We just need a special teams coach." It is year 4. Why do we not have a special teams coach in year 4? What contractor doesn't have a mason on tap when building a house? It is insane. How does a coach decide to not have a special teams coach? Has this ever worked out for any program?

Offensive Line. The only thing I can say is they are young. But at the same time, have we showed that we can develop these guys? This has been a glaring weakness for 4 years. If Frost has just identified this as something to be fixed in year 4 it bodes very poorly for his judgement.

Let's take a step back and think about coaching staff changes for year 5. We will have losing seasons every prior year. Solich was forced to make changes after 1 7-7 year. And these spots are dumpster fires. Arguably worse than Riley's last season. If it takes 4 years of insanely poor play, lack of development, lack of fundamentals, for Frost to address...should he still be the coach?

I don't get the "staff overhaul" crowd. The same problems today we're there the prior 3 years. I don't want a guy who is given a 5th season, which is a huge outlier in a major program after 4 losing ones, and finally decides to address these coaching issues. Let alone one that will be forced to.

Never have your friends work for you unless you are prepared to fire them and lose a friend. That isn't football wisdom, it's life wisdom.

21 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

They dont care what his record is. 

This is how we become irrelevant. I don't want to stay on a sinking ship. Why is it now ok to have a sinking ship? Because our captain was once on the ship? Hiring Frost could go down as what made us truly become irrelevant and a permanent has been. 

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I think you also pointed out, the only wins against teams with winning records was in 2018 with, wait for it, Riley's guys.....

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

And those best wins are against 2 teams that finished 7-6. It isnt like we beat a 9 win team. It was barely average teams. 

True. We didn't beat some top tier, high power team.  I just checked sacks as a measure of improvement.  We had gotten worse every year Frost has been here.  I disliked Riley.  A lot.  I have no such animosity towards Frost, but his best year was with the like of Farmer, Foster, Stan and Oz....And Frost was hired for his offensive prowess....OL is an issue and so is Verduzco and Held.  IMHO, they are anchors around Frost's neck...

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

True. We didn't beat some top tier, high power team.  I just checked sacks as a measure of improvement.  We had gotten worse every year Frost has been here.  I disliked Riley.  A lot.  I have no such animosity towards Frost, but his best year was with the like of Farmer, Foster, Stan and Oz....And Frost was hired for his offensive prowess....OL is an issue and so is Verduzco and Held.  IMHO, they are anchors around Frost's neck...

The offensive prowress was there for the taking yesterday.  Execution was maybe the worst since Illinois 

OL is absolutely an issue.  Teddy is going to be a good one when he returns next season.  RT is causing Frost some serious heartburn.

I don't know what staffing changes Frost might make, but with Albert's, Davison and Osborne among his circle I think good decisions will be made 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The offensive prowress was there for the taking yesterday.  Execution was maybe the worst since Illinois 

OL is absolutely an issue.  Teddy is going to be a good one when he returns next season.  RT is causing Frost some serious heartburn.

I don't know what staffing changes Frost might make, but with Albert's, Davison and Osborne among his circle I think good decisions will be made 

Yeah I can't wait until Frost figures out how to beat the teams in our division watch out! 6 and 7 wins here we come! 

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

You think we'll get 6???

I thought we'd get 6 this year. In our 5 million dollar man's 4th year. Literally the lowest bar I've ever set for a coach at NU in my life. That's still my bar and if he hits it give him 1 more year to grow on that. If he can't win 6 in his 4th year he isn't going to take any of us anywhere we want to be. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I thought we'd get 6 this year. In our 5 million dollar man's 4th year. Literally the lowest bar I've ever set for a coach at NU in my life. That's still my bar and if he hits it give him 1 more year to grow on that. If he can't win 6 in his 4th year he isn't going to take any of us anywhere we want to be. 

Unless there's a Callahan-esque or Riley-esqe collapse, Frost will return.

I think the powers that be.....which is not just Trev.....are on the same page where we are and where we should be 

And Davison is part of the powers that be.  He has a major presence with boosters as of course Osborne still does as well.

Frost is fine right now.  That can change, but probably not this year 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Unless there's a Callahan-esque or Riley-esqe collapse, Frost will return.

I think the powers that be.....which is not just Trev.....are on the same page where we are and where we should be 

And Davison is part of the powers that be.  He has a major presence with boosters as of course Osborne still does as well.

Frost is fine right now.  That can change, but probably not this year 

I still don't see Frost escaping a 3-9 or 4-8 season. You let that slide and you basically give him 2 more years with next years schedule. He'll find a way to get to 6 wins next year. Recruiting will still suck because you can't offer up your vision to recruits. Then goes in to 2023 and poops the bed at 4-8 and we fire him. Historically he's in uncharted waters of failure. 

• Plus1 2