Minnesota: What Did We Learn?

They play to their opponent. 

They are not clutch on offense. 

Martinez is the definition of enigma.

Defense needs to button it up, they have slipped a little. 

They looked hungover from last week and came out expecting to win, no urgency and lacking details. 

It’s on the staff to get these W’s and put players in position to win, but when the play calling *is* there and the players don’t make plays, it’s a damned if you do damned if you don’t as coach.

At minimum 13 points. 11 left on the field and a 2 spot to Minny. 

• Plus1 1

A lot of the same…. 

They can’t come out flat and expect to win……

So much to play for, so much to be amped for!!!!

They need to play for their coach’s jobs 

They need to play to turn the ship around

They need to play for a bowl game. 
They need to play for chin and his dad!!!!

Yet they came out flat.   What the heck!!?!??

This was the gut punch.  Not a gut punch.  The.

A win here validated the close losses.  It validated a turn-of-the-corner.  A chance to deeply hope for the future of this team.

We fell short.  The O-Line, 2AM, ST, and even the D at too many times.  

This loss likely sealed Frost's fate.  We needed to win.  It will show as another one possession loss, but this was a lot worse.

The story of this regime.  We fell short.

ETA: Not saying Frost doesn't get another year, but I do think the fate is sealed.  It's going to be very tough to continue to lose games we shouldn't and him keep his job...especially how we lose.

• Plus1 1

Let's harken back to Coach Mike "Mr. Rogers" Riley getting his sweater ripped for throwing passes at the goal line and compare that to Scrambling Scott who apparently doesn't want his QB scrambling with the ball from the one foot line??
These pathetic games are lost in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. Sure, we get some real comedy scenes from Martinez and the Special Needs team, but these losses can primarily be attributed to Frost and Lubick. They should be running the stadium stairs when the team comes into practice on Monday. Never saw so much wasted talent.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

This was the gut punch.  Not a gut punch.  The.

A win here validated the close losses.  It validated a turn-of-the-corner.  A chance to deeply hope for the future of this team.

We fell short.  The O-Line, 2AM, ST, and even the D at too many times.  

This loss likely sealed Frost's fate.  We needed to win.  It will show as another one possession loss, but this was a lot worse.

The story of this regime.  We fell short.

Frost will be back one more year.  I don't really see things improving much record wise next year with either Martinez or Smothers at QB and with a lot of players leaving on the D side.

I learned that we as a fan base are pretty damn optimistic bunch and you could do a lot worse as a coach somewhere else. Give us a couple close losses, and we got your back.

What I still need to learn is why we thought we were going to win today when we have such a poor offensive line and a QB that makes the big mistake consistently  

2 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Frost will be back one more year.  I don't really see things improving much record wise next year with either Martinez or Smothers at QB and with a lot of players leaving on the D side.

What concerns me is next year the schedule is supposed to be easier.  We get Rutgers and Indiana.  NDSU and Georgia Southern.  So is we go 7-5, 8-4 is it really improving or are we beating "lesser" teams.  And I wouldn't count either of our 1st two games as wins if this staff returns intact...Then roll into a "harder" 2023 and go 4-8/5-7 again....I just think that 4 years is enough time to accurately gauge future success or failures.  For me, this staff needs to be shaken up like a snow globe.