I've seen enough.

BoSolich

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No. A few key players voted against it.

Unsurprisingly, most or all of them are no longer with the program.

So you know what to do as a coach? Show them the exit, just like it apparently seems they found the exit, and you take the guys who want to play and go play. That sets a tone and a message to the entire team and program. Either you want to be here or not, and those who want to be here we go play for.

What sort of message are you sending if the handful of guys who don't want to play are the reason you don't play and in turn they transfer out the next year?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

So you know what to do as a coach? Show them the exit, just like it apparently seems they found the exit, and you take the guys who want to play and go play. That sets a tone and a message to the entire team and program. Either you want to be here or not, and those who want to be here we go play for.

What sort of message are you sending if the handful of guys who don't want to play are the reason you don't play and in turn they transfer out the next year?

You answered your own question. They're gone from the program for a reason. 

Do you think Frost wanted those guys here after that vote?    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You answered your own question. They're gone from the program for a reason. 

Do you think Frost wanted those guys here after that vote?    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well this is where Frost failed miserably. If you got 22 guys who want to go play, you take those 22 guys bowling. You take the guys who want to play and you invest your effort and time into them. Those who want to stay home, good bye. You go find 22 more guys who will say they want to keep playing. So sure, those guys found the exit, but Frost fumbled like Martinez under pressure in how he handled that situation. You go play. You're the coach, you make the decisions, you don't give in to a handful of guys who don't have it in them to stick it out 2 more weeks.

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Well this is where Frost failed miserably. If you got 22 guys who want to go play, you take those 22 guys bowling. You take the guys who want to play and you invest your effort and time into them. Those who want to stay home, good bye. You go find 22 more guys who will say they want to keep playing. So sure, those guys found the exit, but Frost fumbled like Martinez under pressure in how he handled that situation. You go play. You're the coach, you make the decisions, you don't give in to a handful of guys who don't have it in them to stick it out 2 more weeks.

That's all great. But none of this means the whole program didn't want to go to a bowl.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's all great. But none of this means the whole program didn't want to go to a bowl.

The whole program didn't go bowling. That's the point. The program had a chance to go and we all hitched our ride to the handful of players that said, "Nah, we are good." That's the culture, that's the identity. You chose to make a program identity with those handful of guys who wanted the season to end and didn't want to stick it out 2 more weeks.

This is the most disappointing call  and decision in Frost's career at Nebraska. Not any of the other calls or decisions that have lead to his 28 something losses as a head coach at Nebraska, but this one right here, not standing behind the guys who wanted to play and moving forward with them. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

The whole program didn't go bowling. That's the point. The program had a chance to go and we all hitched our ride to the handful of players that said, "Nah, we are good." That's the culture, that's the identity. You chose to make a program identity with those handful of guys who wanted the season to end and didn't want to stick it out 2 more weeks.

But most of the program wanted to go bowling, and wanted to spend another two weeks together. That's all I corrected.

If Nebraska moves on from Frost, this sole decision is one I can at least think back on that can make the moving on just a tad better. I want him to work here, I want this to work out for everyone involved, I still do, but if Nebraska moves on from him, the ultimate decision to decline the extra game, is one that I can think back on and at least make the departure easier to handle.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

But most of the program wanted to go bowling, and wanted to spend another two weeks together. That's all I corrected.

I should have read this before I posted my previous post. I guess what I am saying is, Frost really messed up changing the culture here if he listened and gave in to the few that didn't want to play. If majority wanted to play, you ride with those majority. Those who don't want to play you let them know after you prepare for your upcoming bowl game, you'll help them prepare in landing at another school and do your best to support the moving forward, but in the meantime you are going to go support those who want to play at Nebraska.

• Thanks 1

If I wanted to play in a bowl game, and I knew 20 other of my teammates wanted to play in a bowl game, but coach made a decision to not play in a bowl game because 2 guys didn't want to play, I would be pissed and I would lose a ton of respect for my coach. Especially if I knew those 2 guys were not going to be on the team next year. In fact, I'd probably be so pissed that if I made repeated false start errors, I wouldn't really care or think there would be any consequences for me.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

To be fair, this team could've gone to a bowl game last year. They were offered, but they decided collectively, as a program, that spending two more weeks with each other was just simply too much. It had been a tough year and they were all ready to go home at that time. The culture has not changed one bit in Lincoln.

TBH, I think the O didn't want to play.  The D did.  And that mentality shows this year. D is legit.  O is not.

• Plus1 1