I've seen enough.

BoSolich

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Then before we know it, it's late summer and everyone having a tizzy tonight will be doing Stone Cold Beer Baths with Cherry Kool-aid yelling GO BIG RED!  And it will be Frost as the coach, and we'll probably have a low pre season ranking to boot.  I'm putting my chips on next year as the make or break.  Nobody has to follow suit, but it's going to play out like I've just described, like it or not.

You should try it

Wwe Stone Cold GIF - WWE Stone Cold Steve Austin - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, Redux said:

He does deserve a 5th, legend or not.  Everyone wishing this was his swan song must have a slam dunk hire in their back pocket.  Or, we just want to keep hitting reset forever until we hire a magician that can turn it around in 1 year.

Half the people being a drama queen today will be back to normal by Wednesday.  The other half, well they can continue spewing nonsense that we have to fire Frost immediately to somehow feel better about ourselves, Idk.

None if this explains what he's done to earn a 5th year.

• Plus1 2

I just don't think this style of offense will work in the B1G. Execution aside.... and it's terrible.... I kept getting the feeling during the game this week that we were moving the ball too quickly.  When you are dealing with an opponent who keeps putting 7 and 8 minute drives together, it just doesn't seem smart to go up tempo. We'd finally force a FG or a punt and we'd only run 4-5 plays on the next drive - even the successful drives were the result of one or two chunk plays that moved us into the red zone quickly.

Perhaps the coaches would say "well we are most comfortable being up tempo" - but I think to stick to a philosophy stubbornly you need to be able to impose your will onto the game, and we so rarely do that.

1 hour ago, CheeseHusker said:

I just don't think this style of offense will work in the B1G. Execution aside.... and it's terrible.... I kept getting the feeling during the game this week that we were moving the ball too quickly.  When you are dealing with an opponent who keeps putting 7 and 8 minute drives together, it just doesn't seem smart to go up tempo. We'd finally force a FG or a punt and we'd only run 4-5 plays on the next drive - even the successful drives were the result of one or two chunk plays that moved us into the red zone quickly.

Perhaps the coaches would say "well we are most comfortable being up tempo" - but I think to stick to a philosophy stubbornly you need to be able to impose your will onto the game, and we so rarely do that.

This style does work, finally, in the Big Ten.  We just don't have a line that can play it for 4 quarters.  Backs get gobbled up at the line and defenders break through at will.  Fix that, it works fine.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

If Frost stays what does next year look like? The defense should still be solid if Chins can find a few D backs. D line and LBs are pretty well stocked. An edge rusher might be nice but they don't grow on trees. 

Special teams in some areas have been better than last year (but worse in others). Kickoffs usually make it to the end zone so no run backs for Tds or returns beyond the 50 yd line. Punting has been hit or miss but somewhat better since the Mich St game which cost us a win. We need to have our bag man deliver a package to a great kicker or see if the Brown family from Texas have another son ready for college. 

Offense is the challenge. I don't think Adrian comes back for a 5th year. I love the kid but he has probably seen enough. Do we give the reins to Smothers,Masker or Harberg or find one in the portal? I don't have the answer but I'm not sure our mad scientist QB coach does either. We don't consistently move the ball and when we do it tends to be a couple chunk plays which may get us to the red zone where we bog down. I hope we have enough talent and depth at WR with the kids coming back and the three we recruited last year. We lose Austin Allen and maybe Vokolek but we had a solid group of freshmen in the last class. 

I'm guessing one or three RBs transfer this winter or after spring ball. Johnson and Yant appear to be a good 1-2 punch if Yant can learn the playbook. The O line needs major help. Hopefully Prohaska and Nouelli are ready to play. I wonder if Cam will leave for the NFL if he has interest from pro teams. We have not seen Lutovsky except in mop up duty and I hope he can contribute. Our O line coach (whomever that is) needs to find some dudes in the portal. I would say Austin, Verduzco and Held are on the hot seat. I wonder if Dawson could be let go and outside linebackers given to Barrett Ruud? That would allow us to add a special teams coach.

Lastly next years schedule is probably as favorable as we have had since we joined the Big Ten. We drop OSU and Mich St for Rutgers and Indiana and get the Sooners in Lincoln. Trev Alberts has a lot to think about this winter.

• Plus1 2