I've seen enough.

BoSolich

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Maybe he will, maybe he won't.   If he does, both you and I know it's not based on merit.

I'm just concerned because a year 5 (if Frost doesn't get to 6-6 this year) is guaranteed to result in 2 more years. NU should be able to win 6 next year. Then we thump our chests and say one more year he's turning the corner only to fall to 4-8 the next year and the same result as we currently have except a year further removed from top 25 recruiting classes. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
56 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Maybe he will, maybe he won't.   If he does, both you and I know it's not based on merit.

He will, and it is.  And it's also based off of reality.  We fire him now (unless he manages an 0-4 skid to end the year) and any potential candidates are going to scoff at the idea of coming here.  If he can't piece it together in the W column next year, then yeah it will be a hell of a lot more understandable to potential candidates.

Firing for the sake of firing because we're miffed about all the losses ignores that this team actually is capable of winning.  But if he can't next season, he's probably done.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

He will, and it is.  And it's also based off of reality.  We fire him now (unless he manages an 0-4 skid to end the year) and any potential candidates are going to scoff at the idea of coming here.  If he can't pieces it together in the W column next year, then yeah it will be a hell of a lot more understandable to potential candidates.

Firing for the sake of firing because we're miffed about all the losses ignores that this team actually is capable of winning.  But if he can't next season, he's probably done.

we will have had 4 losing seasons in a row. Please tell me another school that allows for a 5th year? We literally lose to the likes of Illinois and Minnesota in year 4 in the same way we have in previous seasons. Do you feel confident in winning any of the last 4? If so why? Purdue just manhandled Iowa. We have yet to beat tOSU, Wisconsin and Iowa during the last 3 years. We could very easily end up 3-9. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

we will have had 4 losing seasons in a row. Please tell me another school that allows for a 5th year? We literally lose to the likes of Illinois and Minnesota in year 4 in the same way we have in previous seasons. Do you feel confident in winning any of the last 4? If so why? Purdue just manhandled Iowa. We have yet to beat tOSU, Wisconsin and Iowa during the last 3 years. We could very easily end up 3-9. 

Everyone ready to hit reset again must really like hiring people thst won't work or extending the rebuild even more.  We fire him now, we get a bad hire and the rebuild continues.  Make a really bad hire and we will have to reset them and so on.  I'm suggesting we break that cycle we've been on since 2014, 2003 if we're being honest.

Yes, I do like our chances of winning.  Iowa is obviously beatable, Purdue won't play like that again this year.  Ohio State is going to probably crush us but who knows, we haven't let anyone crush us this year.  Wiscy isn't good.

The sorrow is flowing, I get it.  But if people looked at it realistically, Frost would have to lose the last 4 games and lose them very badly.  That's not going to happen.  He's getting a 5th year, I'll keep saying it until it sticks.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Redux said:

Everyone ready to hit reset again must really like hiring people thst won't work or extending the rebuild even more.  We fire him now, we get a bad hire and the rebuild continues.  Make a really bad hire and we will have to reset them and so on.  I'm suggesting we break that cycle we've been on since 2014, 2003 if we're being honest.

Yes, I do like our chances of winning.  Iowa is obviously beatable, Purdue won't play like that again this year.  Ohio State is going to probably crush us but who knows, we haven't let anyone crush us this year.  Wiscy isn't good.

The sorrow is flowing, I get it.  But if people looked at it realistically, Frost would have to lose the last 4 games and lose them very badly.  That's not going to happen.  He's getting a 5th year, I'll keep saying it until it sticks.

We are 1-2 against Purdue during Frosts tenure. They dont need to play as good as they did against Iowa to beat us. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Redux said:

He will, and it is.  And it's also based off of reality.  We fire him now (unless he manages an 0-4 skid to end the year) and any potential candidates are going to scoff at the idea of coming here.  If he can't piece it together in the W column next year, then yeah it will be a hell of a lot more understandable to potential candidates.

lol i'll bet you said this exact same thing last year.

but, let's play along. if it is true that "any potential candidates are going to scoff at the idea of coming here", then what will suddenly make them not scoff if scott frost gets fired next year? potential coaches worth their salt aren't looking at the schedule thinking it's hard or easy. it's the Big Ten. it's always hard.

12 minutes ago, Redux said:

We have a bye, they aren't that good, not worried

I haven't checked, but I saw it somewhere: Frost has yet to win a game following a bye week at NU.

We'll see...

Edit: just checked, albeit quickly so I could be wrong.

In 2018, there was no bye because Bethune Cookman was scheduled after Akron was cancelled.  But Nebraska lost to OSU the next week.  If we were to count the Akron week as a bye, the Huskers lost to CU the next week.

In 2019, NU lost to Indiana at home coming off the bye.

In 2020, there was no bye week unless you count the cancelled Wisconsin game.  Then NU lost on the road to Northwestern the following week.

The sample size is small, but it doesn't give me confidence.  It also illustrates just how f'ed up Frost's first few years have been with scheduling.  Not an excuse, but the team hasn't been given any favors...

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I haven't checked, but I saw it somewhere: Frost has yet to win a game following a bye week at NU.

We'll see...

Also hadn't had to play 8 straight games with no break and 3 close losses to top 25 teams.  Team was drained, mentally and physically.  You could see it.

1 minute ago, thatguy said:

Frost is 1-2 against them, and has dropped 2 in a row against Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue.  

Yes, that's true.  I'm optimistic that changes for the better in year 5.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Redux said:

Why do we have to get a bad hire again?  What if it is a good hire and he wins 9 games in year 2?  Why the defeatist attitude and loyalty to Scott the coach who isn't Scott the player?  Oklahoma didn't hire Josh Heupel as HC.  Tennessee had no interest in Tee Martin as HC.  Judge Scott on his own coaching merit which right now is one of the worst coaches in Nebraska football history.  There are no guarantees it works because he was a championship player.  Take the emotion out of it.  Chances are if it was going to work, it would have already happened by now.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Redux said:

Also hadn't had to play 8 straight games with no break and 3 close losses to top 25 teams.  Team was drained, mentally and physically.  You could see it.

Yes, that's true.  I'm optimistic that changes for the better in year 5.

he may get a 5th year but he doesnt deserve a 5th year. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

So far the only demonstrable identity a Frost team has demonstrated is playing just below the opponent; regardless of who said opponent is. Top 10 team? Down to the wire. Middling Minnesota team? Doesn't matter - we'll play just below the opponent. 

I don't envy Trev Alberts right now. With that said, if I'm Trev the only way you move on from Frost is if you have your homerun hire in the bag. Someone like a Bob Stoops. Other than that, give him another year to lessen the buyout and if he really turns things around you're golden. If he doesn't, you have a bit more financial freedom. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1