Poll: Should Frost be fired?

Kentmick

Should Frost be fired at the end of the season?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Redux said:

I've been incredibly hard on him his entire tenure.  This is the first time I've actually been excited to watch him play.  Most of his fumbles have been strips, not poor carrying.  Most of his picks were tipped I believe.  He's making better decisions.  Idk, I came around on him after Illinois.  He's looked like the player we wanted him to be years ago.

RB we're still trying to figure out who the cream of the crop is.  At this point we just need to pick one and stick with it.

I like Martinez the player, and even more so the person. But, he's prone to mistakes in the worst times. Fumble for a TD against Illinois, the bad pick in OT against MSU, the late fumble against Michigan, the completely unnecessary intentional grounding against Minnesota. The guy tends to shrink in clutch moments, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Redux said:

RB we're still trying to figure out who the cream of the crop is.  At this point we just need to pick one and stick with it.

I'm not saying the RB position is good.  But, I believe they did finally pick a guy and that was Johnson.  Unfortunately, he got hurt.  I'm assuming it's a concussion so he could be out for a bit.  Good time for an off week.

I believe if he was in on the goal line play, we score easily.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

But again, what coaches are going to want to come here, knowing that it might only be for one year?

The same type of coaches we have now. FCS level guys. Or grad assistants looking for a job. We won’t be able to get P5 assistant type of coaches unless we see a contract extension for Frost. And we’ve been down that road before.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I like Martinez the player, and even more so the person. But, he's prone to mistakes in the worst times. Fumble for a TD against Illinois, the bad pick in OT against MSU, the late fumble against Michigan, the completely unnecessary intentional grounding against Minnesota. The guy tends to shrink in clutch moments, unfortunately.

Illinois, yes.  MSU, debatable.  Michigan, that was a dead play but the refs let it go on and on in hopes of a strip.  Minnesota, hell no, what was he supposed to do?  They were all over him.  Eat sack it's a safety.  Throw it away and hope someone is close.

6 minutes ago, Redux said:

Illinois, yes.  MSU, debatable.  Michigan, that was a dead play but the refs let it go on and on in hopes of a strip.  Minnesota, hell no, what was he supposed to do?  They were all over him.  Eat sack it's a safety.  Throw it away and hope someone is close.

People want to point out the safety in the loss.  But, the game was lost before that on other plays.  The best 2AM could have done is just go down instead of backing up into the endzone.  Once he did that, he might as well have tried throwing it hoping there was a WR somewhere close enough to not get the flag.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not saying the RB position is good.  But, I believe they did finally pick a guy and that was Johnson.  Unfortunately, he got hurt.  I'm assuming it's a concussion so he could be out for a bit.  Good time for an off week.

I believe if he was in on the goal line play, we score easily.  

Shouldn't have been a shotgun play, that's on Frost.  And we scored on 3rd down, Martinez was in.

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

If Martinez doesn't fight it, being thrown or backed into an endzone by a defender is not a safety.

Just now, Packerhuskerfan said:

If Martinez doesn't fight it, being thrown or backed into an endzone is not a safety.

That's debatable, but I get the sentiment.  The Line failed miserably there, I have little doubt he was getting lit up regardless.  They should've been ready.

33 minutes ago, Redux said:

Martinez is a good player, but his knack for untimely mistakes is undeniable. He's done it for 4 seasons now.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

For me, I don't get this at all.  Where has :bigredn: set any precedent that we hire someone for one [1] year?  Where has that really happened anywhere and what are the circumstances that merit this type of view.  That happened in recruiting with a guy like Washington ... but it wasn't us that put restrictions or conditions on him.  He simply went against all that is the "normal" expectation of any player.  As it relates to Nebraska, no search committee would go to all the effort to select from 5-10 candidates and then offer the job to someone that they would only give a one year lease.  It's just so far fetched to me.

So, the answer to your question, "What coaches are going to want to come here, knowing that it might only be for one year?", is a resounding NONE.

But again, no precedent has been set for that.  If anything, it's the exact opposite.  Frost actually was given the leash and praised amidst being 8-14 after the Wisconsin blowout.  From what I recall, Green offered a two year extension onto an already 7-year contract.  Who gets that?  LSU just let go of a Louisianan who went 15-0 two years ago and won a National Championship.  

For me, I think the problem has been that both Green and Moos have expressed that Frost has shown "tremendous leadership".  Um, okay.  They were even saying back then that they "appreciate that a change of this nature will not happen overnight" ... and that they were "committed to Scott and the direction he was taking the program."  The question now, as was stated back then is, is "Scott the right coach at the right time for this program?"  Green and Moos oozed about the direction and "heights to which he [Frost] will take Nebraska football and the tremendous impact he will have in the development of our student athletes."  Yes, we have seen this "impact" and Minni is just another example of what four [4] years of "development" can/will do.

I'm with you, he will get to finish out this season ... and he will be given another.  In it all ... it's nothing but further proof that whether it is this season or next, there is no way in hell that any coach that is brought in will "feel" or could even be implied that one would only get one [1] year.  Sure, there are folks in the program that would have that much pride to think we deserve such a stupid argument/thought.  But, it just isn't gonna happen.  It's really nothing more than an argument that seems carved out of some sort of "entitlement".

If you watch the LSU video of the administration and Coach Orgeron, there is mutual respect for what Orgeron accomplished and yet the standards of winning that have, to them, fallen on hard times.  There are no excuses.  For Nebraska, we continue to give Frost a leash that is 10 times longer than their beloved Louisianan.  When LSU brings in there next coach, there will be no "feeling" that the new coach will only get one [1] year. 

Ummm... I was talking about prospective assistant coaches next season if Frost makes staff changes. 

3 hours ago, Redux said:

O Line is terrible.  The QB and RB haven't improved?  I'd say those were noticeably better this year, but most everyone right now is only gaging how good a unit is by the win column.

Either you left the u out of "gauging" or left the second g out of "gagging" 

Which is it, dux? 

• Haha 1

I'm hoping Trev and Scott do meet informally and honestly.

I think this decision is going to hinge on Scott's attitude. If there is truth to the rumor that Frost and staff tended to saunter in  late, if Frost's typically terse and unsmiling on-camera personality is how he really feels, if he not-so-secretly wishes he'd stayed in Florida, and if he doesn't want any interference in how he chooses his staff, this experiment is over.

If Frost is simply frustrated by how close his team is to the success he envisions, if he's busting his a$$ to recruit a more complete roster, if he realizes he has to cut some people loose and re-asses priorities, and if your deep intel says the players genuinely have his back, let's run with Season Five and the perfectly reasonable expectation that it needs to be better than the previous four.

Would a one season grace period signal a lack of confidence?  Of course it would. Scott Frost would need to prove himself, knowing his job was on the line. Which it already is. And Trev would be putting out feelers across the coaching community, if he already isn't. Either way, the excuse bucket is empty and Scott has the chance to prove himself. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 10/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, TGHusker said:

If Frost agrees to the Frank Solich option mention above - revamp the coaching staff then I can see one more year.  If not - then we are on the insanity trail.  

However, if Frost ends up wt only 3 wins this year - no Solich option.  Time to move on.  I hate typing that.  It pains me to think that way towards Frost.  But we have to be realists and cut the emotion out of it.  It is a business and a business decision must be made and not an emotional one.  

I think this is the correct option.  The team has shown an ability to contend with Top 10 teams.  Staff changes are necessary to move forward we all I agree it seems.  Let’s see what changes he/Trev come up with.  
Add that to an improvement at the QB position and those combined could pay big dividends next year.  If not then move on.  

• Plus1 1