if we lose out is frost back next year?

BoSolich

The more I think about it the more I think he’ll be given his 5th year. That way, no one can claim we made a hasty decision and we’re so close to rounding the corner. But let’s say he gets Year 5 and then finishes with 6 wins… will that be considered progress? 

I say if we finish with 3 or 4 wins, and a guy like Chris Petersen or Jamey Chadwell is interested, you’ve gotta pull the trigger. 

12 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The more I think about it the more I think he’ll be given his 5th year. That way, no one can claim we made a hasty decision and we’re so close to rounding the corner. But let’s say he gets Year 5 and then finishes with 6 wins… will that be considered progress? 

I say if we finish with 3 or 4 wins, and a guy like Chris Petersen or Jamey Chadwell is interested, you’ve gotta pull the trigger. 

It's against an "easier schedule" and by all accounts everyone thinks we should do much better based on the easier schedule.  What if we do go 6+ on the wins in 2022 and 2023's schedule is harder and we go back to 4 or 5 wins.....for no other reason than the schedule is harder.  Throw in a new QB starting in 2023......Sitting with a crappy recruit class and 12th in the B1G, we shoot our shot now try to salvage a class and keep guys who might want to transfer (no idea if any).  Or roll the dice and realize he stays for a 5th, IMHO we are locked into a 6th...

38 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

think if we only win one more game and finish 4-8

Were is that one more game coming from? Purdue? Not how we both played on Saturday.  Wisc? They and Iowa have had our number and out coach Frost every year. OSU :laughpound  the team wasn’t emotionally and physically ready to play this past week.  Seems like an unofficial team vote to not go bowling again this year

59 minutes ago, GlobalHusker said:

I think he gets another at least one more year. Even with all the issues of fumbles and strange penalties, we are a special teams coach away from being what…5-3. And a QB coach and ST coach from 6-1/7-0.:koolaid2:

There has been some development with some of the guys. With him being homegrown, he gets more leash.

Coach Austin?  That you?

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Were is that one more game coming from? Purdue? Not how we both played on Saturday.  Wisc? They and Iowa have had our number and out coach Frost every year. OSU :laughpound  the team wasn’t emotionally and physically ready to play this past week.  Seems like an unofficial team vote to not go bowling again this year

Agree on your point. We have the talent to beat Purdue, Iowa and Wisconsin but not the resolve and consistency to win even 2 of those games.  I do think we will win one of those but 4-8 or any losing record is unacceptable 4 seasons in a row regardless of who the coach is.

Nebraska looks sedated in games with morning kickoffs. It’s been that way for quite some time. They always come out sluggish and uninspired. A part of me wishes that Frost would just come to an agreement on a buyout (ala Orgeron) and admit that despite his best efforts he’s just not getting it done and that Nebraska deserves better. Our current recruiting class is atrocious so it’s not like we have to worry about top guys rescinding their commitments if he leaves. 

The way this team reacts after the bye week will be telling. If they go 3-1 down the stretch and keep the Ohio state game interesting like the Michigan game, I say Frost gets another year if he agrees to make some must needed coaching changes. Based on what I have seen so far, that ain’t going to happen. We will probably lose two or three more games and at that point, Frost would have been given every opportunity to succeed. It would be time to let someone else try.

Having said that, I agree with everyone here that there is absolutely no reason to fire Frost if Trev does not have his guy lined up. No reason to make another mike Riley hire that will set us back another decade. I would take my chances with Frost who seems to be getting $5 million to learn on the job. It is apparent that he has a lot to learn since PJ Fleck can outcoach him with a much inferior talent on the field.

• Haha 1