Huskers + 2022 NBA Draft

• 1 month later...
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Nebraska and Creighton to hold joint Pro Day on October 5

Keisei Tominaga led the shooting exhibition Friday and splashed several difficult 3-pointers again four days later. But he wasn’t alone.

Trevor Lakes, fully recovered from the shoulder injury he suffered last season, might have missed only two 3s during the two-hour practice Tuesday. CJ Wilcher’s jumper looks as good as the coaches said it was ,and Bryce McGowens shot more 3-pointers than layups.

So did most of his teammates. Nebraska looks like it can shoot, and shoots like it knows it can.

OWH

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/2863922/2021/10/18/2022-nba-mock-draft-2-0-paolo-banchero-back-on-top-as-seasons-gear-up-but-class-has-questions/

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via LAC)

Bryce McGowens | 6-7 wing | 19 years old | Nebraska

McGowens has a lot of the tools NBA teams look for from shot-creating wings. He’s just a shade under 6-foot-7 and has the kind of long frame that tends to portend strong future development. He has a terrific game off the bounce, playing with great rhythm and shake. And despite being in the ballpark of 185 pounds, he’s completely fearless. There is a genuine toughness level to how he operates on the court. Ultimately, the big question for him comes down to efficiency. Most evaluators do believe he’ll shoot it well at some point, but he has a bit of an unnatural lean right now that leads to inconsistent results from 3. And around the basket, he gets tossed around a bit because he doesn’t have enough core strength. But the light will come on for McGowens at some point, and he’s going to be a legitimate first-round prospect. The question is whether it’s this season or next. On the plus side, he’ll play in a wide-open, NBA-style scheme under Fred Hoiberg.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I must be a horrible NBA scout.  I just don't see it yet.

I've thought that about myself over the years.  Guys that are supposed to be high draft picks that I just don't see as much I as I think I should.

I think the biggest thing is the NBA drafts so much on potential.  I do see that with McGowens.  His shooting needs work - and that was the story when he was in high school.  But he does get to the rim pretty well for a 6-7 guy.  And he seems to be a willing defender.  I'm sure they think they can work with that.

https://theathletic.com/3048313/2022/01/06/2022-nba-mock-draft-4-0-jabari-smith-jr-leaps-to-no-1-but-team-with-top-pick-might-matter-more-than-ever/

30. Golden State Warriors- Bryce McGowens Nebraska: I don’t really love Bryce McGowens as a 2022 draft pick because I think he’s a ways away from helping an NBA team in terms of efficient, smart play. But his talent as a shot creator is real, and NBA teams are interested in his intersection of positional size at 6-foot-6 and playmaking ability. On one hand, he’s averaging 16 points and six assists. On the other hand, all of his best games have come against Nebraska’s worst competition. In Nebraska’s six games against what KenPom qualifies as Tier A or B competition, McGowens has posted a sub-40 true-shooting percentage and has shot 4-for-27 from 3 and under 40 percent from 2-point range. He also has not been particularly good defensively.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

It would be nice if Bryce would figure that out and come back next year. 

I think he'd be better off working on his game, coming back and maybe ending up in the lottery after two years instead of late 1st/early 2nd round after one year.