Frost vs His Peers

Listen, I know this has all been said. 

Frost came in to right a team that was destroyed mentally and physically. We were physically unable to compete against almost all teams when Frost took over. Our defense was scared to tackle, in the wrong positions, and incredibly undisciplined. Our skill players on offense were all Pelini hold overs, resulting in a serviceable year 1 offense, with an empty cupboard behind them. We have just now gotten to a place where our talent and strength everywhere but 2 positions on the o-line leave us capable to compete, capable to win against anyone. 

But the game of football, just like any game, is 1 part physical and 2 parts mental. The mental part is where we are lacking. "Someone during the game thread announced the team is "too used to losing." I think there is something to that. It is not a matter of wanting to win, but a form of self sabotage once they get into a position to win because they've gotten to a point where deep down, they don't think they can so they play tight and make terrible mistakes when they feel like the game is on the line because they want it so bad but are scared to death they are going to screw up it and let it slip, and of course in doing so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The bad part is, I am starting to wonder if the coaches are starting to get to this level as well. 

That said I think we are halfway on this rebuild- we have conquered the physical demons of the past, for the most part. Now we need the mental. A sports psychologist might help, but ultimately the only cure is actually winning and building that belief that they can. That's a bit harder to do when you're playing the toughest schedule in all of college football. 

It might take rotating out players that are clearly talented but are mentally shot from the last few seasons. I know one of the things Pelini said he looked for when recruiting was kids who have been on winning teams, the ones who had been there, who knew what it took and already had that rock solid belief in themselves to get it done when it counted. I don't know that we have anyone like that in skill positions. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Listen, I know this has all been said. 

Frost came in to right a team that was destroyed mentally and physically. We were physically unable to compete against almost all teams when Frost took over. Our defense was scared to tackle, in the wrong positions, and incredibly undisciplined. Our skill players on offense were all Pelini hold overs, resulting in a serviceable year 1 offense, with an empty cupboard behind them. We have just now gotten to a place where our talent and strength everywhere but 2 positions on the o-line leave us capable to compete, capable to win against anyone. 

But the game of football, just like any game, is 1 part physical and 2 parts mental. The mental part is where we are lacking. "Someone during the game thread announced the team is "too used to losing." I think there is something to that. It is not a matter of wanting to win, but a form of self sabotage once they get into a position to win because they've gotten to a point where deep down, they don't think they can so they play tight and make terrible mistakes when they feel like the game is on the line because they want it so bad but are scared to death they are going to screw up it and let it slip, and of course in doing so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The bad part is, I am starting to wonder if the coaches are starting to get to this level as well. 

That said I think we are halfway on this rebuild- we have conquered the physical demons of the past, for the most part. Now we need the mental. A sports psychologist might help, but ultimately the only cure is actually winning and building that belief that they can. That's a bit harder to do when you're playing the toughest schedule in all of college football. 

It might take rotating out players that are clearly talented but are mentally shot from the last few seasons. I know one of the things Pelini said he looked for when recruiting was kids who have been on winning teams, the ones who had been there, who knew what it took and already had that rock solid belief in themselves to get it done when it counted. I don't know that we have anyone like that in skill positions. 

So year 8 is when we put it all together. That is great I have something to look forward to. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So year 8 is when we put it all together. That is great I have something to look forward to. 

People greatly over exaggerate how difficult it is to win 6+ games. It's hard to get from 6 wins to 9 wins, its hard to get from 9 wins to 12 wins. Winning 6 games with the resources at Nebraska can be done in year 1. If you think we need to flip a roster, and find a grad transfer QB and fire asst coaches, and hire a sports psychologist, and have more meetings with the AD and flip the culture - just to win 6 games in year 5 - then you want the Head Coach fired but you're just not willing to admit it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 3
2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Year 8 may be it no matter who the coach is. That's the problem.

I don't agree with that. Frost can't pitch his vision to recruits any longer. You get that boost the first couple years then have to show results, if you dont you are setting yourself up for worse classes. Which only makes this rebuild more difficult. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

People greatly over exaggerate how difficult it is to win 6+ games. It's hard to get from 6 wins to 9 wins, its hard to get from 9 wins to 12 wins. Winning 6 games with the resources at Nebraska can be done in year 1. If you think we need to flip a roster, and find a grad transfer QB and fire asst coaches, and hire a sports psychologist, and have more meetings with the AD and flip the culture - just to win 6 games in year 5 - then you want the Head Coach fired but you're just not willing to admit it. 

Hardy, I could not agree more.  Given our significant resources, we should be able to scratch together 6 wins in a season.  Like the players, I believe our fans are becoming conditioned to losing.  So much so that even modest accomplishments such as bowl eligibility are appearing herculean.  2 wins against sub-par non-conference opponents paired with annual wins against the likes of Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota and we are there.  For $5 million annually in salary, we should come to expect this.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I don't agree with that. Frost can't pitch his vision to recruits any longer. You get that boost the first couple years then have to show results, if you dont you are setting yourself up for worse classes. Which only makes this rebuild more difficult. 

I understand that concern but he can go a long way toward proving the vision next year. It actually sets up nicely for him if he is going to make a run. Win 3 out of 4 to close the season, pick up the momentum that actually does exist nation wide in progress made. Recruits no longer see a team getting blown out against top 10 teams, they see and hear us going toe to toe. You win 3 of 4 to close the year.  2021 recruiting is already a crap shoot thanks to the NCAA not knowing up from down coming off a global pandemic that also made the previous season sketchy.  Point is, if you are going to have a bad year on the recruiting trail, 2021 is the year to do it. So, pick up end of season momentum, hit the transfer portal hard to rid the program of non contributors and keep any super sr, jr, so whatever that you want for next year.  Come out blazing in 2022 and go on a roll, change the narrative, sell the vision from there. Still have plenty of underclassman to patch you through 2-3 successful years while things heat up on the trail. Finally, keep developing well. I think at this point we have to acknowledge that these coaches are getting great level of play in most spots out of less than phenomenal "talent" based on HS rankings. I think they can keep doing that. I believe the O-Line is just young where they have talent, and lack talent where they have age. You can scoff at that all you want but I used to hear Rudd couldn't coach LB and then there's Reimers. I was hearing Chin can't coach D and then theres concern he will leave for HC spot. It easy to say, "blah blah blah," in the moment, but objectivity requires that you look at the entire picture with its moving parts. Frost with a good 2021 finish and a great 2022 is what is best for our program and our state. If he can't do that, I'll join you at the fire w/ my pitchfork. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I understand that concern but he can go a long way toward proving the vision next year. It actually sets up nicely for him if he is going to make a run. Win 3 out of 4 to close the season, pick up the momentum that actually does exist nation wide in progress made. Recruits no longer see a team getting blown out against top 10 teams, they see and hear us going toe to toe. You win 3 of 4 to close the year.  2021 recruiting is already a crap shoot thanks to the NCAA not knowing up from down coming off a global pandemic that also made the previous season sketchy.  Point is, if you are going to have a bad year on the recruiting trail, 2021 is the year to do it. So, pick up end of season momentum, hit the transfer portal hard to rid the program of non contributors and keep any super sr, jr, so whatever that you want for next year.  Come out blazing in 2022 and go on a roll, change the narrative, sell the vision from there. Still have plenty of underclassman to patch you through 2-3 successful years while things heat up on the trail. Finally, keep developing well. I think at this point we have to acknowledge that these coaches are getting great level of play in most spots out of less than phenomenal "talent" based on HS rankings. I think they can keep doing that. I believe the O-Line is just young where they have talent, and lack talent where they have age. You can scoff at that all you want but I used to hear Rudd couldn't coach LB and then there's Reimers. I was hearing Chin can't coach D and then theres concern he will leave for HC spot. It easy to say, "blah blah blah," in the moment, but objectivity requires that you look at the entire picture with its moving parts. Frost with a good 2021 finish and a great 2022 is what is best for our program and our state. If he can't do that, I'll join you at the fire w/ my pitchfork. 

we are 1-10 against our final 4 opponents during Frosts tenure. We havent beat a P5 team with a winning record since 2018. The more likely situation is he goes 1-3 with 2-2 being equally as likely as 0-4. I hope he goes 4-0 and we can carry momentum but I have seen absolutely zero that makes me think now he is going to figure out how to capture lightning in a bottle and have consistency. 

• Plus1 3