Frost vs His Peers

3 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Hardy, I could not agree more.  Given our significant resources, we should be able to scratch together 6 wins in a season.  Like the players, I believe our fans are becoming conditioned to losing.  So much so that even modest accomplishments such as bowl eligibility are appearing herculean.  2 wins against sub-par non-conference opponents paired with annual wins against the likes of Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota and we are there.  For $5 million annually in salary, we should come to expect this.  

We are actually looking up at Purdue, Minnesota, and Northwestern at the moment, and have straight up worse records than Maryland and Rutgers. If wins are the measure, we only lead Illinois, which outplayed us in every phase of the game, and Indiana, which enjoyed a memorable nationally-relevant season just last year. 

Think the Big 10 is super tough this year? I'm seeing a lot of paper tigers ranked in the Top 10 who won't be there at season's end. The likelihood is that Purdue and Iowa are both pretty good teams, not powerhouses, and the rest of the pretty good Big 10 is going to start knocking each other out. 

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Hardy, I could not agree more.  Given our significant resources, we should be able to scratch together 6 wins in a season.  Like the players, I believe our fans are becoming conditioned to losing.  So much so that even modest accomplishments such as bowl eligibility are appearing herculean.  2 wins against sub-par non-conference opponents paired with annual wins against the likes of Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota and we are there.  For $5 million annually in salary, we should come to expect this.  

He had the talent to win 6 in year 1. He had the talent to win 6 in year 2. He had the talent to win 4 in a COVID year. And he has the talent to win 6 this year. The most consistent thing about the Frost tenure is he has the talent to at least be a .500 team, but his team's drop games against inferior squads multiple times a year - and ALWAYS lose to superior squads. He has time and time again, shown us what he is. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm with funhusker. Knew it was bad, but not this bad. That's really, really bad. 

At some point the empty cupboard and over-demanding Husker expectations excuses no longer hold, and this would be that point. 

agree 100%.  As noted in a post above, we as fans have been conditioned by lowering expectations.  I cannot believe it is this bad - really bad.  Those #s aren't emotional, they are facts that cannot be argued with.    Surely Trev is well aware of them all.    

• Plus1 1

They've fallen within the last two weeks, but tell me how a guy like Pittman at Arkansas can come in and within a few months completely change that culture and get them into a top 10 ranking. Arkansas was bad, almost a decade worth of losing and being really, really bad. In today's age of college football, it shouldn't take 4 years to get things turned around. Remember when expectations for a freshman qb or a rookie qb in the nfl were to give them a year or two to get in the groove and learn the game? Well, those expectations, proven by on field results, has shown in today's football world that freshman qb's and rookie qb's can make an immediate impact, same should be for coaches.

• Plus1 1

Ugh.. the reality of SF is being pointed out in these forums from so many different angles that its clarity can't be denied.  And yet that reality is still being responded to by The Too Sooners:  "It's too soon to tell."  "He needs this next year, maybe the next, to fully change the culture."  Et-freaking-cetera.

He's played and coached for decades.  What we see here is what we get;  this is it, this is Scott Frost at Nebraska.  In one or two more seasons we MAY get 5 or 6 wins.  We may get 7.  <---------- I have doubts about the 7, and even the 6 after what we've seen of his inability to coach players and run the program.  

We. Deserve.  Better.  And better is out there.

• Plus1 2

49 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I was just going to post that tweet.

It glaringly shows exactly how pathetic NU football has become with FACTS, not opinions or emotional bluster.

And what is even more pathetic is how much of fan base accepts this and defends it.

It seems the flat performance vs Minnesota has either converted some prior Frost defenders or they have gone into hibernation. I do like seeing more posters acknowledge evaluating Frost without the emotional ties to his past contributions to the program.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can change the culture virtually overnight.

Happens all the time.

It's what's supposed to happen.

It's why you got the job. 

It's what we expected in year 1. I think it was clear in the first two years that we simply did not match up physically with the rest of the Big Ten. But, the results and close games and moral victories we are experiencing this year is what I expected we would have experienced in year 2. If this was year 2, sign me up for excitement, but in year 4, I don't know where the excuses can come from? This is his team, his recruits, and any former Riley recruits that are still on this team, well that means they chose to stay at Nebraska, they chose to play under Frost and have been coached longer under Frost than they were under Riley. So again, there are no excuses at this moment. 

Even someone like me who acknowledges the cupboard was bare upon his arrival and it takes a recruiting class or two to get things going, well those recruits are now Junior or Seniors, they should be ready to compete at the Big Ten level.

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can change the culture virtually overnight.

Happens all the time.

It's what's supposed to happen.

It's why you got the job. 

Correct.  And it explains why Luke Fickell was not given the permanent reigns at Ohio State in 2012.  He did change the culture overnight, and with the same personnel no less.  From top flight success (12-1 in 2010) to mediocrity.  Enter Coach Meyer in 2012 and presto, back to 12-0 (same personnel).

Coaching matters and we should not deny that for a moment.  

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It seems the flat performance vs Minnesota has either converted some prior Frost defenders or they have gone into hibernation. I do like seeing more posters acknowledge evaluating Frost without the emotional ties to his past contributions to the program.

I'm not sure you can label all fans as one or the other.  In reality I think the majority are in the middle.  We are frustrated and definitely not happy with our record... but many have been encouraged by the increased competitiveness.  We were close to beating a few good teams.  Our defense legitimately looked like black shirts of old at times.  I think a good majority of the fans will be ok with a change if we finish the season poorly.  However, if we can finish with momentum, most that I know will want the staff to come back.

I'm of the opinion that firing our coach right now makes zero sense.  Why not let the season play out to see what happens, then make a decision.