Frost vs His Peers

14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure you can label all fans as one or the other.  In reality I think the majority are in the middle.  We are frustrated and definitely not happy with our record... but many have been encouraged by the increased competitiveness.  We were close to beating a few good teams.  Our defense legitimately looked like black shirts of old at times.  I think a good majority of the fans will be ok with a change if we finish the season poorly.  However, if we can finish with momentum, most that I know will want the staff to come back.

I'm of the opinion that firing our coach right now makes zero sense.  Why not let the season play out to see what happens, then make a decision.   

You don't fire him until Saturday after black friday and that is barring he doesnt go 3-1 to finish out the year. I personally think the likelihood of that is the same as Pete Ricketts having a love child with Nancy Pelosi. So I guess that their is a chance.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure you can label all fans as one or the other.  In reality I think the majority are in the middle.  We are frustrated and definitely not happy with our record... but many have been encouraged by the increased competitiveness.  We were close to beating a few good teams.  Our defense legitimately looked like black shirts of old at times.  I think a good majority of the fans will be ok with a change if we finish the season poorly.  However, if we can finish with momentum, most that I know will want the staff to come back.

I'm of the opinion that firing our coach right now makes zero sense.  Why not let the season play out to see what happens, then make a decision.   

I agree that firing a coach mid season is not ideal. With that said, even if we find a way to won 2 more games, that still puts the team at 5-7 with poor losses against Illinois and Minnesota. It would also mean we finished the season with a 3-6 record.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree that firing a coach mid season is not ideal. With that said, even if we find a way to won 2 more games, that still puts the team at 5-7 with poor losses against Illinois and Minnesota. It would also mean we finished the season with a 3-6 record.

Exactly, we literally came out flat against a team that has pushed our poo in the last 2 years in Minnesota. A division opponent, bowl bids etc on the line.....in year 4. 

• Plus1 4

Next year is a weaker schedule. Our current recruiting class is a disaster.

If there is ever a time to bring in someone, you'd do it for next year when they can win at least 6 and turn recruiting around for this class.

Why would you waste next year on someone you deep down know isn't going to work?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Even someone like me who acknowledges the cupboard was bare upon his arrival and it takes a recruiting class or two to get things going, well those recruits are now Junior or Seniors, they should be ready to compete at the Big Ten level

And yet we are playing with so many Freshmen, red shirt freshmen and Soph.   Why - poor evaluation of the Big 10 and the mistaken judgement that he could recruit the same type of players at Neb as he had at UCF.  So should we give Frost  an additional 2 years because he recruited wrong the 1st 2 years.  Hardly. That is on him - he is responsible for the evaluation of the program, the conference and the type of players he needs to be successful in the Big 10.  It is telling that the first official act was to run to California to sign up AM - his dream QB for his UCF type offense.  While we have since started to recruited bigger linemen, and taller TEs and WR to compete in the Big 10, we still have been playing with his "UCF" QB prototype - runner first, passer 2nd.  

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Kentmick said:

If there is ever a time to bring in someone, you'd do it for next year when they can win at least 6 and turn recruiting around for this class.

Why would you waste next year on someone you deep down know isn't going to work?

:yeah

30 minutes ago, Kentmick said:

Because TO is basically in charge of Nebraska Football. He has former players at AD, Assistant AD of Football, and HC. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

To me the real question is how many of you would want Frost gone on Black Friday regardless of how the remaining 4 games go.  I believe he should get another year if we get to 6-6.  

I have said it for quite some time I want 6 wins this year. That shows some level of progress and if he goes 3-1 to get to 6-6 that shows real substantial progress and next year could propel us to 8+ wins. You can recruit and build from that. If you go 4-8 this year I dont think we are going to get any better. It's tough because through 4 years a coach shows what they are made of. Coaches who have 4 losing seasons dont get a 5th year. Hell coaches who have 3 losing seasons in a row dont get to year 4. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

To me the real question is how many of you would want Frost gone on Black Friday regardless of how the remaining 4 games go.  I believe he should get another year if we get to 6-6.  

I really think 7-5 needs to be the mark to get a 5th season as 6-6 is another year without a winning season (meaning above .500).  We should not lower our expectations of a 4-year coach just because the prior 3 were so bad or because the coach was a former player.  

I do believe there is a reason we are struggling more with recruiting this year than the prior 3 years with Frost (currently sitting at 73 in 247 team rankings).  Recruits are smart and want to play for a winning coach and program.  Frost was initially able to sell recruits on being able to turn around Nebraska like he did with UCF, but his record at Nebraska shows that the 2017 UCF team was an outlier.  We are doing the program a disservice if we allow recruiting to begin to suffer too.  I get that some Nebraska fans are still haunted by the early dismissal of Solich, but in cases where the coaching has been poor, a change at the top can inject new hope into the program with recruits.  

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I really think 7-5 needs to be the mark to get a 5th season as 6-6 is another year without a winning season (meaning above .500).  We should not lower our expectations of a 4-year coach just because the prior 3 were so bad or because the coach was a former player.  

I do believe there is a reason we are struggling more with recruiting this year than the prior 3 years with Frost (currently sitting at 73 in 247 team rankings).  Recruits are smart and want to play for a winning coach and program.  Frost was initially able to sell recruits on being able to turn around Nebraska like he did with UCF, but his record at Nebraska shows that the 2017 UCF team was an outlier.  We are doing the program a disservice if we allow recruiting to begin to suffer too.  I get that some Nebraska fans are still haunted by the early dismissal of Solich, but in cases where the coaching has been poor, a change at the top can inject new hope into the program with recruits.  

Just making sure you are aware Trev has said Frost's job is not hanging on a certain number of wins.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

He came here with better options.

He was supposed to be the savior.

He ranks near the bottom in too many categories.

He played and recruited the wrong style early on.

We felt he was turning the corner the last couple weeks.

His SP+ is #23, the only team with a losing record in the top 25.

Trev is "proud of how the kids are playing"

Another close loss and pitchfork nation is after him.

If our savior can't get it done, who wants to coach here next?

I'm frustrated as hell, especially living in Minnesota, but I don't think it's time to move on yet. I think you do give him one more year with an easier schedule, with most starters returning, guys he's recruited for this style and coached up. I just don't see a better coach out there who would choose this job. The koolaid is a bit tart, but I'm still sipping. Go ahead, crucify away.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

if you go by average ranking of recruit this is our worst class since 2015 aka Riley transition class. 

• Plus1 1