Frost vs His Peers

5 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

He came here with better options.

He was supposed to be the savior.

He ranks near the bottom in too many categories.

He played and recruited the wrong style early on.

We felt he was turning the corner the last couple weeks.

His SP+ is #23, the only team with a losing record in the top 25.

Trev is "proud of how the kids are playing"

Another close loss and pitchfork nation is after him.

If our savior can't get it done, who wants to coach here next?

I'm frustrated as hell, especially living in Minnesota, but I don't think it's time to move on yet. I think you do give him one more year with an easier schedule, with most starters returning, guys he's recruited for this style and coached up. I just don't see a better coach out there who would choose this job. The koolaid is a bit tart, but I'm still sipping. Go ahead, crucify away.

so will we actually be better next year or we just play more teams that will end the year with losing records? 

There is no way one can look at that Tweet and and still feel Frost is right for the job.  

Only active P% coach to have not beaten a ranked opponent

1-18 against B1G teams with a winning record

He is horrible.......That's after 3.5 years....Of his recruits, coaches and system.....

A lot worse than I thought when you see the numbers.

TBH, I don't know if I'd bring him back if he does get us bowling at the end of the year.  He is a bottom dweller as a coach.  And we are talking about if he pulls a miracle, let's give him another year......No thanks  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

There is no way one can look at that Tweet and and still feel Frost is right for the job.  

Only active P% coach to have not beaten a ranked opponent

1-18 against B1G teams with a winning record

He is horrible.......That's after 3.5 years....Of his recruits, coaches and system.....

A lot worse than I thought when you see the numbers.

TBH, I don't know if I'd bring him back if he does get us bowling at the end of the year.  He is a bottom dweller as a coach.  And we are talking about if he pulls a miracle, let's give him another year......No thanks  

Who would have thought when we hired Frost that him being from here, getting a long leash etc could actually be the downfall of NU Football where we truly get comfortable with mediocrity? 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Just making sure you are aware Trev has said Frost's job is not hanging on a certain number of wins.

Yes and if I were a new AD I would not show my cards this early either.  With that said, I do think fans and boosters alike will show their desire for change if we end up with another losing season.  Perhaps Trev will not have the courage to fire his buddy still, but if ticket sales, recruiting, and wins are all struggling, he is going to feel the heat.

13 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Who would have thought when we hired Frost that him being from here, getting a long leash etc could actually be the downfall of NU Football where we truly get comfortable with mediocrity? 

I never did....Thought he was the one to get us back to glory.  It is one thing to look at W vs L, but to see how bad NU actually is compared to is peers......SMH.  And we are hoping we can get to 6-6....Scared we might not get another "good hire"......The bar has been set so low, the next coach could be a solid 7 win coach and look like a god compared to the past 7 years.......

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I never did....Thought he was the one to get us back to glory.  It is one thing to look at W vs L, but to see how bad NU actually is compared to is peers......SMH.  And we are hoping we can get to 6-6....Scared we might not get another "good hire"......The bar has been set so low, the next coach could be a solid 7 win coach and look like a god compared to the past 7 years.......

These metrics posted at the start of this thread is what the perfect rebuttal is to anyone who says "who are we going to get". We literally cant do any worse as it stands. Unless we are hoping to hire Cutcliffe or Babers. 

22 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

so will we actually be better next year or we just play more teams that will end the year with losing records? 

Both. We return a lot of starters and should get more wins. Give that a chance to take hold.

More than anything I think the best available coaches don’t want to come here.  Look at the list of potential Orgeron replacements. None would even think about Nebraska right now.

47 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I really think 7-5 needs to be the mark to get a 5th season as 6-6 is another year without a winning season (meaning above .500).  We should not lower our expectations of a 4-year coach just because the prior 3 were so bad or because the coach was a former player.  

I do believe there is a reason we are struggling more with recruiting this year than the prior 3 years with Frost (currently sitting at 73 in 247 team rankings).  Recruits are smart and want to play for a winning coach and program.  Frost was initially able to sell recruits on being able to turn around Nebraska like he did with UCF, but his record at Nebraska shows that the 2017 UCF team was an outlier.  We are doing the program a disservice if we allow recruiting to begin to suffer too.  I get that some Nebraska fans are still haunted by the early dismissal of Solich, but in cases where the coaching has been poor, a change at the top can inject new hope into the program with recruits.  

Funny how reality begins to catch up with prognostications.  I was chastised early this year when I suggested that Frost's sale of 2017 UCF success was going to eventually net diminishing return.  We are running into that now as recruits in this class were in 8th Grade when UCF was having success under Frost.  All this crop of recruits knows of Frost are his shortcomings at NU.  The sand is running out of this hourglass.

6 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Both. We return a lot of starters and should get more wins. Give that a chance to take hold.

More than anything I think the best available coaches don’t want to come here.  Look at the list of potential Orgeron replacements. None would even think about Nebraska right now.

We dont know if we return a lot of starters or not yet. We could lose on offense, Martinez, Allen, Vokolek for starters if they dont opt for the extra year. We lose our top WR in Toure. Defensively you have to replace the entire secondary minus one CB as well as Domann and Stille. Daniels could opt out, Tannor could opt out if he just wants to move on. That doesnt take into account any subtractions from guys going into the transfer portal. We return a young poor performing OL I guess and our stable of RBs. With pieces of the defense returning in the front 7. You might not get what you are looking for next year. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

You are gambling that players won't jump ship. Something that is going to happen, we just don't know to what extent.

Players have the option to leave now for whatever reason. Depending on how this season ends we could lose a few or have a mass Exodus. Would you want to stay at a school with the stats listed in that tweet? These guys are talented enough to contribute to much better teams.

That plus our current state of recruiting means if we keep Frost and it doesn't work out. The next coach is going to walk into a situation much worse than Frost did when he came here.

That is a helluva gamble.

1 hour ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

There is one thing about 2022 that should guarantee at least 6 wins....the easiest schedule Nebraska has had in a decade.  I honestly think a new competent coach could get us to 8 wins despite staff and player turnover given how easy the schedule lines up next year.  

As for returning starters, we are losing a lot of guys on defense that have a lot of starts.  I realize we have some good young guys too on defense, but the 2022 defense will be less experienced than the 2021 defense.  Also, for an offense that has been consistently inconsistent, I don't think we should want to rely on keeping those same guys in the lineup in 2022.  

For the coaches being considered for LSU, the notion that they would never consider coming to Nebraska is ridiculous.  First, expectations will be lower at Nebraska given how bad we have been, so there is an opportunity for them to quickly come in and get 8 or 9 wins and be a savior.  Second, the BIG West is much easier to navigate and get to a CCG than the SEC West, even if Alabama were to move to the SEC East after Texas and Oklahoma get added.  There is no reason Nebraska should ever finish worse than 3rd in the BIG West, and realistically we should be going toe to toe every year for the CCG with the resources and history Nebraska brings to the table.