Frost vs His Peers

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I never did....Thought he was the one to get us back to glory.  It is one thing to look at W vs L, but to see how bad NU actually is compared to is peers......SMH.  And we are hoping we can get to 6-6....Scared we might not get another "good hire"......The bar has been set so low, the next coach could be a solid 7 win coach and look like a god compared to the past 7 years.......

To the bolded:  if past performance is indicative of future results, you can bet on it.  A solid 7 win coach will not only not look like a god but will also get fired just like the 9 win coaches have.  We definitely need to make some tweaks, but I'm not sure we need a reset.  

• Plus1 2

25 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

To the bolded:  if past performance is indicative of future results, you can bet on it.  A solid 7 win coach will not only not look like a god but will also get fired just like the 9 win coaches have.  We definitely need to make some tweaks, but I'm not sure we need a reset.  

Or you do what ever program does and hire and fire until you hit. Imagine if Ohio St was scared to take a gamble on a FCS HC. If Oklahoma was scared to take a chance on a DC. You just swing and don't stop swinging until you knock one out of the park. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There is one thing about 2022 that should guarantee at least 6 wins....the easiest schedule Nebraska has had in a decade.  I honestly think a new competent coach could get us to 8 wins despite staff and player turnover given how easy the schedule lines up next year.  

As for returning starters, we are losing a lot of guys on defense that have a lot of starts.  I realize we have some good young guys too on defense, but the 2022 defense will be less experienced than the 2021 defense.  Also, for an offense that has been consistently inconsistent, I don't think we should want to rely on keeping those same guys in the lineup in 2022.  

For the coaches being considered for LSU, the notion that they would never consider coming to Nebraska is ridiculous.  First, expectations will be lower at Nebraska given how bad we have been, so there is an opportunity for them to quickly come in and get 8 or 9 wins and be a savior.  Second, the BIG West is much easier to navigate and get to a CCG than the SEC West, even if Alabama were to move to the SEC East after Texas and Oklahoma get added.  There is no reason Nebraska should ever finish worse than 3rd in the BIG West, and realistically we should be going toe to toe every year for the CCG with the resources and history Nebraska brings to the table.  

I know it gets mentioned at times about the "resources" Nebraska has ....and we do pretty well.  The Wall Street Journal has a recent write up about the college football programs with the most resources based on several factors 

Nebraska is not even in the top 10.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

I know it gets mentioned at times about the "resources" Nebraska has ....and we do pretty well.  The Wall Street Journal has a recent write up about the college football programs with the most resources based on several factors 

How is it compared to the B1G West? 

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Remember when we hired Frost, and ASU hired Herm Edwards, and everyone was clowning ASU? Good times.

Exactly it isnt an exact science. You just try and keep trying 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Can you please share a link to the article?  Where does Nebraska rank compared to our division foes?  

Also, as I stated the program history and fan base make Nebraska unique compared to some other division rivals.  Additionally, NIL could play to our advantage given our fan base.  

3 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

He came here with better options.

He was supposed to be the savior.

He ranks near the bottom in too many categories.

He played and recruited the wrong style early on.

We felt he was turning the corner the last couple weeks.

His SP+ is #23, the only team with a losing record in the top 25.

Trev is "proud of how the kids are playing"

Another close loss and pitchfork nation is after him.

If our savior can't get it done, who wants to coach here next?

I'm frustrated as hell, especially living in Minnesota, but I don't think it's time to move on yet. I think you do give him one more year with an easier schedule, with most starters returning, guys he's recruited for this style and coached up. I just don't see a better coach out there who would choose this job. The koolaid is a bit tart, but I'm still sipping. Go ahead, crucify away.

Two things I’m tired of seeing:

1.  We can’t get better.  
2.  We can’t afford a buyout. 

These arguments are ridiculous and need to stop. We can’t get better then a perennial loser who has the worst record in 60 years?  That’s asinine. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Or you do what ever program does and hire and fire until you hit. Imagine if Ohio St was scared to take a gamble on a FCS HC. If Oklahoma was scared to take a chance on a DC. You just swing and don't stop swinging until you knock one out of the park. 

First of all, you only provided two programs.  Why is this?  It's because all the rest of them us included are still swinging and still missing.  Tennessee comes to mind.  Texas comes to mind.  Arguably, Michigan comes to mind.  USC comes to mind.  Florida State comes to mind.  Miami comes to mind.  Shall I continue?  There's plenty of programs that won a NC who are still hiring and firing away just like us.      

Ohio State passed over one of the hottest names in coaching this year.  Coincidentally, this same coach was coaching Ohio State the one and only time we've beaten them since joining the B1G.  We tried what OU did.  We fired our DC we took a chance on.  I don't know what the answer is, but I know the revolving coaching door is not working.  The revolving AD door isn't working either.  There are changes that need to be made, but I don't think a reset is needed at this time.    

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, junior4949 said:

First of all, you only provided two programs.  Why is this?  It's because all the rest of them us included are still swinging and still missing.  Tennessee comes to mind.  Texas comes to mind.  Arguably, Michigan comes to mind.  USC comes to mind.  Florida State comes to mind.  Miami comes to mind.  Shall I continue?  There's plenty of programs that won a NC who are still hiring and firing away just like us.      

Ohio State passed over one of the hottest names in coaching this year.  Coincidentally, this same coach was coaching Ohio State the one and only time we've beaten them since joining the B1G.  We tried what OU did.  We fired our DC we took a chance on.  I don't know what the answer is, but I know the revolving coaching door is not working.  The revolving AD door isn't working either.  There are changes that need to be made, but I don't think a reset is needed at this time.    

You can use any program hell you can use us before we hit with Devaney. Use Bama before they got Saban. Use Notre Dame, literally every program has gone through hire and fire until they hit. I gave 2 more recent examples but look through the annals of history and you see it over and over again until they hit. They dont keep a losing coach. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

To me the real question is how many of you would want Frost gone on Black Friday regardless of how the remaining 4 games go.  I believe he should get another year if we get to 6-6.  

I answered that in a previous post but here it is again. If the team finishes 6-6, I would like Frost to get another year but ONLY if he makes staff changes. Greg Austin and verduzco need to go yesterday. Hire a talented special teams coach and an offensive coordinator and Frost needs to give up play calling and concentrate on managing the team. Anything less, Frost needs to make way to another coach who can right this chaotic ship. 

Also, a good coach can make an impact right away. At least in their second year without making excuses about culture and empty cupboards. I do not like PJ Fleck. In fact he makes me sick every time he speaks, but I do admire his ability to get so much out of inferior talent. On the other hand, Frost seems to find ways to lose to inferior talent all the time. Point is, I do not believe that a good coach will need 5 years to rebuild. Especially not with a fan base that packs the stadium and supports their team even when their team manages to lose every game that matters. Husker fans have been extremely supportive of Frost and generously patient but the status quo is not acceptable. Husker fans deserve better.

• Plus1 1