Frost vs His Peers

3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I wonder who the other 4 were (and how they are doing these days): https://hailvarsity.com/football/frost-one-of-six-names-on-moos-list-for-nebraska-coaching-job/

Mike Leach was the only definite one I remember seeing due to his and Moos time at WSU.

I don’t know how much to believe from Moos back then though lol. He had to hire Frost and I’m not sure there was ever a plan B or C no matter how much he claimed there was.

1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

Mike Leach was the only definite one I remember seeing due to his and Moos time at WSU.

I don’t know how much to believe from Moos back then though lol. He had to hire Frost and I’m not sure there was ever a plan B or C no matter how much he claimed there was.

Oh I agree. But that doesn't mean he didn't have a list with six names on it (constantly).

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And Moos was brought in to hire Frost. Then left rather quickly and awkwardly. 

Anyhoo, love your consistency, but the bigger question is WHY you would accept Frost's assurance? He would have to say all the right things on behalf of Nebraska, but would recruits or their support network be wrong to doubt him at this point? They do have choices, you know. 

The other unanswered part of my question was whether independent college football advisors would tell recruits that exciting things are happening at Nebraska under Frost despite the numbers.

In a way it's the only question that matters regarding Scott's future. 

All the other questions aside, the point is it's up to Frost to overcome recruiting challenges whether from within the fan base or from outside noise (like media hot seats). 

Albert's (and others) are there to help.

4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So you're saying its perfectly cool to run off top talent with negativity and demands that the head coach or position coaches get fired because what? We lost? If the goal is to stop losing, and that is what you're tired of, wouldn't it make more sense draw recruits in than to give them reasons to doubt? 

If a 5 star that has offers from Ohio St. Clemson, heck even Iowa, at this point, comes into Huskerboard to gauge the temperature on the coach they are thinking about pledging the next 5-6 years of their lives to and they see that most of what is posted are calls for firing, why would they come here? Negative posts are only perpetuating the problem of insufficient talent. 

And to the point that Trev and Frost can assure the recruits- Frost has to say he's going to be around and A.D.'s don't tip their hat until they pull the trigger. Kids are smarter than that. 

Losing games creates negativity in the program.  Frost was brought in to win championships and he even said it in his first presser.  Any program in the top 10 all time wins will have negativity when the coach continues to have losing seasons.  Recruits are like fans and look at the product that the head coach is putting on the field.  Good recruits want to be part of winning programs and will make their own judgment on whether Frost can make that happen.  In the first 2 or 3 years Frost was still able to sell recruits on his ability to turn around a program as he did at UCF.  But those UCF days are long gone as 2022 recruits were in 8th grade when Frost was coach at UCF.  They only see what Frost is doing at Nebraska and thus far it has not been good.  

I know people aren't keen on Orgeron, but like him or not, he's one of the best recruiters in the country. I say bring him on board to help with recruiting. HIs ties to Louisiana talent wouldn't hurt, either. He's already expressed interest in being here in the past. Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program, and right now our blood supply is running low.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know people aren't keen on Orgeron, but like him or not, he's one of the best recruiters in the country. I say bring him on board to help with recruiting. HIs ties to Louisiana talent wouldn't hurt, either. He's already expressed interest in being here in the past. Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program, and right now our blood supply is running low.

Only coaches can recruit, right?  I don't know where you would put him.  I think he's more of a defensive coach.  Unless someone leaves on their own, you really can't justify replacing anyone on D.

32 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Is he really a good recruiter or is he just in places that are easy to recruit to?

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1
57 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Is he really a good recruiter or is he just in places that are easy to recruit to?

What exactly does that mean, "easy to recruit to"? The guy has pulled in top classes every place he's been: Miami, Tennessee, Syracuse, Ole Miss, USC, LSU. He landed Joe Burrow, something we didn't do. As far as coaching you can always label him "Associate Head Coach." All I know is we need someone, because what we have isn't cutting it.

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

All the other questions aside, the point is it's up to Frost to overcome recruiting challenges whether from within the fan base or from outside noise (like media hot seats). 

Albert's (and others) are there to help.

Well..........you can't put the other questions aside.

That's the point. 

Because it's not "outside noise," it's the perception among recruits nationwide -- and the people who advise them -- of whether Scott Frost's Nebraska is a good place to commit their football careers. The defections and recruiting class rankings aren't exactly outside noise, either. Neither are the stats that started this thread. 

So it's up to Trev Alberts to decide IF Frost can overcome these recruiting challenges in his fourth year of recruiting challenges and trending downward. Honestly hard to tell if one year will make a difference, or if we need another full four year cycle. 

You still seem to think it's a combination of crabby internet fans, Shawn Eichorst and Harvey Perlman thwarting Frost's ascendency. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Nebraska gets down on itself in this respect, but it's not like Columbus, College Station, Iowa City, East Lansing, West Lafayette, or most of the Top 25 college campuses are warm weather garden spots. For about 40 years, you came to Lincoln, Nebraska because it was good for your career. And a surprising number of out-staters stuck around afterwards. 

I lived in Lincoln back then, and the city is a much livelier place today. Not as cold, either. Seriously. 

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska gets down on itself in this respect, but it's not like Columbus, College Station, Iowa City, East Lansing, West Lafayette, or most of the Top 25 college campuses are warm weather garden spots. For about 40 years, you came to Lincoln, Nebraska because it was good for your career. And a surprising number of out-staters stuck around afterwards. 

I lived in Lincoln back then, and the city is a much livelier place today. Not as cold, either. Seriously. 

Iowa City doesn't have many top 10 classes. The rest are in much closer proximity to the recruits we wanna get.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Pretty much. They are all so scared he is going to go to the NFL. They also kept them through a racism scandal and years of mediocrity while giving him time to build a program.

Yeah, except by year 3, they went 6-5 in the regular season, and then beat Texas Tech in a bowl game. 

In year 3, we went 3-5 and declined a bowl offer because reasons.

In year 4, iowa went 11-2, co-B1G champion, and played in the Orange Bowl.

In year 4, we will be watching everyone else play in bowl games. Again. 

Not the same, at all.